JHC planning Dark Crystal sequel

Should JHC make a sequel to the Dark Crystal?

• Yes, take advantage of the new technology

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No, don't mess with the magic of the original

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Movies205 said:
Don't be so close-minded, Dark Crystal was not perfect and puppetry is not perfect, CGI could be used to enhance puppetry greatly.
Look, it's just how I feel about it. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and I'm not about to get into any arguments about the merits of CGI or its place in the future of special effects.

However, I take offense to the whole "puppetry isn't perfect" thing. Do you even realize what board you're posting on? Do you go on Disney boards and knock animation? While puppetry may not be the end all in special effects, it's what made this board, this website and our whole reason for appreciating the Muppets a possibility, so it deserves some respect. And there's plenty of us that think that puppetry is perfect.

Secondly, puppetry is what made The Dark Crystal so great to begin with. Were it not for puppetry, that film wouldn't even have been made, and we wouldn't be sitting here arguing over the mistake of using CGI for an unncecessary sequel twenty three years after the fact.

I don't think I'm being close mided because I don't want to see an already good movie tampered with by a sequel. I think people in the film industry are far too inclined to ride the coat tails of old successes or re-make classic films rather than come up with new ideas and original material. What they ultimately end up doing is hurting the original concept. And I care too much about The Dark Crystal to simply accept that and get all giddy because someone drops a blurb about a sequel.

I'm not in control here, obviously, and the Hensons or whomever's in charge of this project will do what they want. But as a fan and someone who's infested a lot emotionally into this concept, I'm against a lesser and unncessary sequel. But I do not begrudge you or anyone else in being excited for this project, and I'm not about to start a petition or anything like that. You're as entitled to your opinions and enthusiasm as anyone. Just don't begrudge my right to have my own opinion by labeling me close minded.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. As a fan I have heard many rumors, as a word of advice anyone can make something look believable with the technology today. The movie though ended well, it really does not need a sequel it allowed the audience to imagine what Jen and Kira would face in the future. Sequels are not always the best way to go, unless the movie requires a sequel such as Shrek 2. Just my thoughts...If in two years the movie is released I still will see it to support the Henson team. :smile:

Mark Filton

Reaction score
"Don't be so close-minded, Dark Crystal was not perfect and puppetry is not perfect, CGI could be used to enhance puppetry greatly."

Great attitude. Let's call up the Pixar people and tell them that they need real puppets in their next movies because it can enhance them greatly.

CGI is what is not perfect. The Yoda from Empire Strikes Back will always seem so real because he was there with the actors. Make him CGI and he runs around doing anything, but it isn't real, and it never will be.

Seems the movie starts filming in the fall for a 2007 release. That means they will spend a YEAR AND A HALF on it.

I'm all for a prequel or MAYBE a sequel, or maybe just another movie set in that world, without bringing Jen and Kira into it :big_grin:

But I am NOT looking forward to any project that is looking like it is just being slapped together for a direct-to-video cornerstone to kickstart another wave of cheap crap and an animated series. I know I seem like the grouch all the time, but this thing is being made too fast.

I hate you, Brian Henson :grouchy:

I thought you wanted to be DONE WITH MUPPETS, right? Oh, so because Disney didn't want to buy the DC, you figure you might as well mess around with it. If Disney DID want it, he would have sold it, too. I can hardly wait for a project being made a guy who doesn't love it himself :mad:

DMETxix

Reaction score
I'd rather see a prequel than a sequel, or possibly a spin-off set in the same world with completely new characters.

In my opinion lowercasegods makes a lot of valid points, I loved the Dark Crystal because it was complete puppetry, no CGI, no live actors, just puppets. As such it is also my favorite puppet movie.

However, since no explicit details are known at this point, 'CG-animation' could mean 'CG-enhanced' (glowing crystals, 'swirlies' and such done by computers) instead of full-body 'CG-characters' (which I would be reluctant to see in this production).

Either way, I'm interested in this production if just for the sake of seeing what new animatronic techniques they [JHC] can devise to make our beloved gelflings come back to life again.

Movies205

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Look, it's just how I feel about it. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and I'm not about to get into any arguments about the merits of CGI or its place in the future of special effects.

However, I take offense to the whole "puppetry isn't perfect" thing. Do you even realize what board you're posting on? Do you go on Disney boards and knock animation? While puppetry may not be the end all in special effects, it's what made this board, this website and our whole reason for appreciating the Muppets a possibility, so it deserves some respect. And there's plenty of us that think that puppetry is perfect.

Secondly, puppetry is what made The Dark Crystal so great to begin with. Were it not for puppetry, that film wouldn't even have been made, and we wouldn't be sitting here arguing over the mistake of using CGI for an unncecessary sequel twenty three years after the fact.

I don't think I'm being close mided because I don't want to see an already good movie tampered with by a sequel. I think people in the film industry are far too inclined to ride the coat tails of old successes or re-make classic films rather than come up with new ideas and original material. What they ultimately end up doing is hurting the original concept. And I care too much about The Dark Crystal to simply accept that and get all giddy because someone drops a blurb about a sequel.

I'm not in control here, obviously, and the Hensons or whomever's in charge of this project will do what they want. But as a fan and someone who's infested a lot emotionally into this concept, I'm against a lesser and unncessary sequel. But I do not begrudge you or anyone else in being excited for this project, and I'm not about to start a petition or anything like that. You're as entitled to your opinions and enthusiasm as anyone. Just don't begrudge my right to have my own opinion by labeling me close minded.
I'm sorry if I come off as harsh but I usually get ****** off with the fanbase because they seem to think they own or have some right as to where there respected beloved franchises go, and they simply do not. They are not the thinkers or innovators who came up with it, they are the fans who in essense the thinkers and innovators wished to entertain. Yet when the the thinkers and innovators wish to move on and evolve the fans get all ****** and wish to stay stuck in the past.(This is in general with all different properties) Look at Mirror Mask that looks awesome and it's inspired by the Labyrinth. Also I take offense to the fact that you degrade my love for puppetry, I love it, I love the muppets hence why I post here, but I am not so close minded as to not realize that puppets are merely a tool to tell a story just as CGI is. The thing that made the muppets so great was not the fact that they were puppets but the heart and dept of each character that Jim Henson put into it and the puppets articulated that on screen, and the same goes for Dark Crystal, the reason it's so great is because of the innovative and imagination that Jim Henson had to make such a world and puppetry enhanced that. Now I'm not saying that puppetry should replace quite the contrary, I think that puppetry should be the main use but Puppetry tends to get a bit stiff in places and tends to limit a film-maker at times, hence the use for CGI to enhance the puppetry and allow the film-maker more freedom to tell his story. That is what I meant, or does this make me less of a fan because I'm willing to accept the short comings of the things I love.

Movies205

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
"Don't be so close-minded, Dark Crystal was not perfect and puppetry is not perfect, CGI could be used to enhance puppetry greatly."

Great attitude. Let's call up the Pixar people and tell them that they need real puppets in their next movies because it can enhance them greatly.
How about you read what I said which is that cgi could be used to improve the puppetry

CGI is what is not perfect. The Yoda from Empire Strikes Back will always seem so real because he was there with the actors. Make him CGI and he runs around doing anything, but it isn't real, and it never will be.
Not true I've seen movements out of the CGI yoda that are sheer awesome, and I'm not talking about hte light saber battle, I mean in general just how he moves it's pretty sweet, the range of emotions, while on the I believe the puppet has other up-sides as well, and if combine would of been glorious.

Seems the movie starts filming in the fall for a 2007 release. That means they will spend a YEAR AND A HALF on it.

I'm all for a prequel or MAYBE a sequel, or maybe just another movie set in that world, without bringing Jen and Kira into it :big_grin:
Perhaps you should wait and see waht they have planned

But I am NOT looking forward to any project that is looking like it is just being slapped together for a direct-to-video cornerstone to kickstart another wave of cheap crap and an animated series. I know I seem like the grouch all the time, but this thing is being made too fast.

I hate you, Brian Henson :grouchy:
A year and a half is too fast? Do know how fast Million Dollar Baby was made? Movies have been made really fast and have suck like AVP and there have been others that have been great, who knows. As for Brian Henson, real mature, the man has brought us just about as many great movies and TV series as his father did.

I thought you wanted to be DONE WITH MUPPETS, right? Oh, so because Disney didn't want to buy the DC, you figure you might as well mess around with it. If Disney DID want it, he would have sold it, too. I can hardly wait for a project being made a guy who doesn't love it himself :mad:
Stop making assumptions, you're making an *** out of yourself. First you assume that I wanted an all CGI Dark Crystal, now you're making assuptions that Brian Hensons doesn't love this project, just stop and read your posts, there ridiculous.

Phloyd456

Reaction score
Here's some more with word from the Officials.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050515d.php

The Jim Henson Company will produce a feature film sequel to The Dark Crystal, the 1982 fantasy classic directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz with conceptual designer Brian Froud, which has remained a fan favorite with consistently strong worldwide home video and DVD sales. The announcement was made by the Company's co-CEOs Brian Henson and Lisa Henson. Odyssey Entertainment will represent the worldwide sales and distribution of the film, beginning immediately at the Cannes Film Festival.

The original screenplay by Annette Duffy and David Odell (the original Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) is set many years after the events of the first movie. The Power of the Dark Crystal (working title), sees Jen and Kira (the original film's heroes) as King and Queen and guardians of the Crystal who fight to save their kingdom when the Crystal is once again split. Incorporating a hybrid of live action animatronic characters and CG animation, production is expected to commence in fall of 2005. Lisa Henson and Kristine Belson will produce with Brian Henson, Ralph Kamp and Louise Goodsill serving as Executive Producers.

"The Dark Crystal created its own world. We are now going to fully explore this universe through the sequel film, which will be followed up with an animated series as well as interactive games and other media," said Lisa Henson. "Knowing the franchise's worldwide appeal, we're thrilled to leverage Odyssey's expertise in family entertainment within the independent film-sales community."

Brian Henson said, "With The Jim Henson Company celebrating its 50th anniversary, The Power of the Dark Crystal is a wonderful tribute to our legacy of fantasy projects. The original film set a new standard for the genre and broke new ground in visual effects. We hope to honor its devoted fans with an exciting new chapter in this great adventure."

Ralph Kamp and Louise Goodsill said, "It's a real treat to be able to offer our distribution partners the opportunity to join forces with The Jim Henson Company as they re-imagine one of the best-loved jewels in their crown."

A Brief Synopsis of the Film... When Jen and Kira welcome a fiery and unexpected visitor to their castle they learn that the very existence of the U-mun people, who live in the searing heat of the centre of the earth, is threatened by the death of their sun. There is apparently only one thing powerful enough to heal the ailing star - a shard of the Crystal.

The Gelflings flatly refuse the request for a fragment and the desperate visitor takes matters into her own hands and steals one, making a hasty escape through tunnels deep in the bowels of the castle. So begins an adventure that will see love and goodness triumph over evil and re-introduce cinema-goers to a host of indelible characters including the mystic Ur-sol, Aughra the one-eyed seer, the evil Skeksis and their crab-like and violent Garthim foot soldiers.

Thanks to 'Kiera'.

beaker

Reaction score
Given JHC sold us fans out and souled out what made them the JHC company, this is glorious news. And oh do I wish puppetry and animatronics would come back. Green screen can get a bit overbearing at times(look at how lame the Jedi special editions cenes look)

I Don't think this would be a Neverending Story 2/3, this would most likely be a kick butt sequel...I mean the fact they are moving ahead with a sequel to a movie most mainstrema people arent even aware of is rad.