The Three Worst Muppet Moments

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
IndgoMoose said:
I agree. To think that Pepe has replaced Rowlf... grumble grumble. Rowlf beats Pepe any day. Pepe is trying to be cool, and he fails about 95% of the time.

Thank you. Pepe is used waaay too much, especially in that movie last night. :mad:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
worst muppet moments...

If only limited to 3, I would say:

1.Jim Henson's death-muppets haven't been the same since
2.Elmo taking over SS.(I do agree with might as well call it Elmo's Street,or just give Elmo his own show & leave SS)
3.Eric Jacobson as Piggy & other Frank Oz muppets.His voices are horrible.

Other bad muppet moments:

-Steve Whitmire: as Kermit,Ernie & other Jim Henson voices/characters.Steve is an incredible puppeteer and has unbelievable singing vocals,however;Steve's characters always seem to hyper/wired & now that is applied to said Henson muppets.Sorry Steve,I'm a member of SWAHEB,but wish he would stick to his own puppets.

-lovable muppets fading into oblivion;like afore mentioned Rowlf and the Electric Mayhem,& the overuse of puppets like Pepe(can't stand that prawn)

-Journey to Ernie: seeing the repeats,getting oh-so-old

-Sesame Street's scheduling: to make room for Elmo's World,Journey to Ernie,opening sequence alone takes up almost a quarter of the show.No wonder old clips & sketches can't be shown anymore

-I do agree with Kermit not hosting Muppets Tonight.Always wondered how the show would've gone if that had happend.

That Announcer

Reaction score
I have some more Bad Muppet Moments:

- "Saying Goodbye."

- The very first Elmo's World. Pepe has made himself into one of the forefront Muppets, so he causes no problem in that he has not taken over any old characters, just added himself as a bigger one. Elmo has caused the degradation of Count von Count, Bip Bippadotta, and even Ernie and Bert! When there's no "Poke poke poke, kee hee hee", there's no Sesame Street.

- Whenever people started to assume that "The Dark Crystal" was some sort of supreme masterwork to rival every film ever made by anyone, and thus so much better than "Labyrinth".

- "Saying Goodbye."

- Steve's Kermit. I wonder if, seeing is how Johnny T is doing Ernie on PWMS, if he could maybe do a better Kermit than Steve?

- RICHARD'S death. I always thought that Richard was a markedly better performer than Jim, and so I find his death more saddening. Jim's death makes me extremely sad too, but it is Richard that I miss the most.

- Kermit on "The Daily Show."

- Did I mention "Saying Goodbye"?

That Announcer

Reaction score
kitncaboodle said:
2. The dumbing-down of Seseme Street. We grew up with the harder stuff, and we're just fine! Um, right?
This could be a hotly debated issue- my father watched Sesame Street every single day of his childhood, and he's totally whacko!

dpurves

Reaction score
To me the worst thing is definitely the way the members of the once core group of Muppets has either dropped to supporting role status, or even worse, completely dropped out of site. Rowlf is gone. EM is relegated to being background music. Even Muppets like Kermit and Fozzie, while still visible, just seem to have lost so much of what they once were.

Another thing that bothers me to the point of distracting me from enjoying what I'm seeing is the changing of voices. I understand that people move on, or die, but some of the new voices really bother me. Scooter's voice jumps to mind. I don't know if he's been talking in other recent movies, but I did an about face when I heard him talking in MWoo. Where'd that voice come from?

Finally, every movie since that original trilogy has just missed something. Some of the movies have missed more than others. It does bother me that they seem more interested in sticking the Muppets in classic stories rather than producing new material for them. And sure, tied in with that would have to be Jim Henson's death, key performers moving on, and Disney moving in. To me the Muppets are just a shadow of what they once were.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
1: Jim's Death

2: Bit players being brought forward and used WAY too much. Then once-main players shoved to the back. I understand the "King Prawn" being used a little more...but...we need a balance, people. We can only take so many "Hokay?" and "I'm so sexy!" before we reach for the BARF bags. :mad:

3: "Saying Goodbye" -- That just EPITMOIZED the seperation/drifting apart of the Muppet's. They haven't been the same. It's almost...as if they knew. Deep in their heart's...

Meh. :embarrassed: Just me being me.

BEAR

Reaction score
bazooka_beak said:
1) Elmo unofficially taking over Sesame Street and many Muppet areas. Might as well call it Elmo Street, Starring ELMO... and those other guys too :sing:

2) Ignoring cool characters like Grover, Swedish Chef, and Rowlf, and focusing too much on 'recent' muppets like Pepe (I like him, but I think they use him too much).

3) Death of Jim Henson and what has happened to muppet projects since then.
Have you noticed that Grover has made a huge comeback recently??

Drtooth

Reaction score
More Pepe and Elmo Bashing... oy gavolt.

Here are my least favorite Muppet Moments (in projects, anyway)

AShanti in OZ. The movie wasn't that great, but she made it pretty much worse.

The effeminant Jim Hawkins in MTI. Especially that part where he says "I hate you long John silver!" Phhft.... com'on! Even C3P0 was more masculine.

Monster Clubhouse. I mean, what the shell was that? Like watching the muppets on a bad trip it was.

That game show host Bruce Forsythe being one of the guests on TMS. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard terrible terrible things.

The Muppets Being on Extreem Make over

The Muppets on Nick and Jessica's not so much variety hour (they even drug down Mr. T... sniff)

Elizabeth and Little Murray Sparkles. I mean, Stephanie D'Ambruzzo is a great muppeteer... she just doesn't have likable characters.

Tie: Ernie's show and tell and Ernie singing "I have something that you want, you have something that I want" with Elmo. I sat through Journey to Ernie for that. The Bert and Ernie segment is supposed to be my reward.

and finally, The Scrubs cameo in VMX. Keep your show plugs in other shows, please,

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
That game show host Bruce Forsythe being one of the guests on TMS. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard terrible terrible things.
In Bruce Forsyth's defence he is and was a weel establihed song-and-dance man and comedian as well as a well-seasoned MC.

The game show are by no means the best examples of his work but they did give him a chance to demonstate at least some of his skills.

Not to mention his very good narration of "Fiddley Foodle Bird."

And I don't think that there is anything wrong with the TMS episode - I particularly love "leasing a duck" and his stand-up routine with Fozzie.

Malachy

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
This is not what Jim wanted people. Jim envisoned a partnership with Disney back when Disney was actually putting out good stuff. Back when it was a Magic Kingdom and not a money-grubbing coorperation. He never wanted Disney to have total control over his creation. If Jim had lived to see what Disney had become then he never would've gone through with it.

Shh... listen. Hear that? That's our beloved Jim rolling over in his grave!
Disney has never been just a "Magic Kingdom". It's always been a huge corporation, which is what Walt created it for. Of course, Walt isn't even comparable to Eisner on the evil scale, but things were never some happy magical castle of lollipops and gumdrops.