Luis and Maria sketch

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well I'd probably be a little bit upset and scared. I mean who in the worlds would expect a train to come out of a picture. sorry I don't remember this other skit you mention.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah on second thought, a real train coming through the wall is reason enough to be somewhat flustered, regardless of what happens next!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Here comes the train!

Actually, way back in the 50's, Ernie Kovacs did something similar. He had a skit called "Living Pictures", and he hung up a big picture of a tunnel and had a train come through, and a picture of a boat on the ocean and getting splashed by a wave. Just like Jim, Kovacs was really into exploring tv and seeing all the neat visual tricks he can conjure up. A lot of these were done live in front of an audience which makes them even more impressive.
But Jim's idea (with help from Jon Stone's direction, Joe Raposo's music, and Luis and Bob's great pantomime) worked great too. Shook me up as well.
Imagine if they did it in 3-D, wouldn't that be something? :embarrassed:

Ziffel

Reaction score
That's pretty interesting, fuzzygobo. Ernie Kovacs is one old entertainer I've heard good things about but never really saw any of his acts so I didn't know he had this train bit. :smile: The coyote and roadrunner also had this where the coyote places a picture of a tunnel on a rock. The roadrunner runs through it anyway. The coyote stands in front of it very perplexed. Then a train comes out of it and runs him over. I would guess this, like the Bob and Luis SS sketch, was after the Ernie Kovac's 50's version. I think it was newer Looney Tunes like 60's or 70's that had it.
A side note: On "I Love Lucy" there was a hilarious burlesque act with Lucy and a guy called "Slowly I turn". Someone once told me Ernie Kovacs did a version of that too.

roadrat15

Reaction score
Also done by Abbott And Costello and referenced by Scatterbrain in their song
"Don't Call Me Dude!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes and also done by "The Three Stooges". But now we're probably digressing too far from Luis and Maria. :smile: