Official SW3 Thread - DO NOT READ - SPOILERS!!!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Princeton said:
also, what's a macho guy like Mace doing with a PURPLE lightsaber?
Because purple rocks, and so does Mace Windu (and Samuel L. Jackson)!

-Christoher Lee is an acting legend, so why did he die at the very beginning?
I think probably because you wouldn't expect it. After all, he had a bigger role in Episode II. Keeping him around through Episode III might have been a bit predictable. This way, we see Anakin pushed pretty far pretty quickly, and the audience is surprised to see a major bad guy (and major actor) taken out of the game so early.

At least, that's what I think.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. I told my freind who went with me to see it (for the second time) that I thought it was cool and evil. Cool to see all the things come to the story line that most of us know from the first 3 and the evil part was how good they had Anakin just be so evil. I cried to see it come to an end and all the Jedi's and other characters die off so easy. I wished they could of slowed down a little before killing them all off. Hope to see more happening in the cartoons. This one thing I would love to see. The cartoons thats been airing on CN I hope to see them go into showing us how Luke and
Leia's childhood and to see Ben training Luke and Leia growing up with her adopted parents and C3PO and R2-D2 in what happened to them and to see Chewy and Han growing up too.

Beauregard

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I think probably because you wouldn't expect it. After all, he had a bigger role in Episode II. Keeping him around through Episode III might have been a bit predictable. This way, we see Anakin pushed pretty far pretty quickly, and the audience is surprised to see a major bad guy (and major actor) taken out of the game so early.

My understanding was that it was two words: "Bud" and "Get"

Convincing John

Reaction score
Princeton said:
What's the deal with Mace's death scene? I thought it was lame; also, what's a macho guy like Mace doing with a PURPLE lightsaber?
From a recent interview, Samuel L. Jackson requested a purple lightsaber from George Lucas, and he's the only Jedi who had a purple saber. I think Jackson was on David Letterman's show when he mentioned that.

Convincing John

McFraggle

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Because purple rocks, and so does Mace Windu (and Samuel L. Jackson)!

It is surprising, but Christopher Lee was one of the few redeeming things in the second film. However, I thought this one (III) was great. :smile:

camillachick

Reaction score
I have to agree with those of you who found problems in this movie. I really didn't like it. At the theater I felt ok about it, but afterwards I was left with this overwhelming sense of "That's It?" I felt so many things could have been done better. The chemistry between Padme and Anikan was so nonexist, the dialogue was horrible (don't get me started on the dialogue from Star Wars 2 either), and the reason for Anakin's turn was weak. Anikan just spoke to Mace about Palpatine proving he still trusted him and then turns around and gets Mace killed. And his big reason for following the dark side is to save Padme, so why doesn't he seem more concerned about her on the lava planet? Perhaps if more of a reason was given for his distrust of the Jedi in general. Some kind of a betrayal maybe. Then he would have a reason to distrust Padme as she was traveling with Obi Wan. Also why doesn't Obi Wan just kill Anikan at the end? I know he is leaving him for dead, but he could have easily finished him off and ended his suffering. Anikan is obviosly not dead and there was a chance someone could come looking for him. Then when he awakes as Darth Vader in the suit why does he continue to follow Palpatine who has promised to save Padme? She's dead Anikan and it's your fault. The dark side didn't make him stronger since Obi Wan beat him, it didn't help him use his anger (actually he is told his anger kills Padme) and it didn't save Padme from death in childbirth. It basically lived up to none of his expectations yet he stays. This is an enormous flaw that to me even extends to taint movies 4-6. It makes the terrible and unbeatable Darth Vader a whiny brat who was tricked into doing Palpatine's dirty work. End of story and a very sad ending I find it.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
camillachick said:
It makes the terrible and unbeatable Darth Vader a whiny brat who was tricked into doing Palpatine's dirty work. End of story and a very sad ending I find it.
To me, that's one of the things that makes it interesting. Sure, some of Anakin's actions later on in the film aren't rational--he's too far gone for that. Every step he takes toward the dark side makes it harder and harder for him to come back from it. By the time Padme and Obi Wan meet him on the lava planet, everything about Anakin is clouded with suspicion and anger. He's doing wrong things because he's talked himself into believing they're right. As Yoda says in Empire Strikes Back, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." (Or, at least until your children redeem you).