Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

Phantom

Reaction score
I wish they would have taken the time to make it really good like MTI. These quick (relatively speaking) turn around movies to go directly to TV are not their best efforts (of course logistically they're convinced that they couldn't fill theater seats so don't look for best effort anytime soon). I would have been happier with better effort and less of a modern twist on what is already a beloved classic. It did have it's moments though...

tinweirdo

Reaction score
not as good a mti?

Ok, I think the reason it wasn't as good as Muppet Treasure Island was because it was probably a lower budget and it was a tv movie. But, Disney has some good Muppet stuff in the works coming up!!! WHOOPIE!!! :smile: :embarrassed: :concern:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
A classic tail

Phantom said:
I wish they would have taken the time to make it really good like MTI. These quick (relatively speaking) turn around movies to go directly to TV are not their best efforts (of course logistically they're convinced that they couldn't fill theater seats so don't look for best effort anytime soon). I would have been happier with better effort and less of a modern twist on what is already a beloved classic. It did have it's moments though...
I agree as Much as I really did enjoy and Like Muppets OZ, it was a bit to modern. Again The book is better, but I think the Muppets got it mostly right.
:attitude:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
We Hear he is A Wiz of Wiz!

MuppetDanny said:
ultimatedisney.com has reviewed the film/DVD, check it out : CLICK HERE
The last section of the review seems to sum up my feelings very well, I ahve included it here......

"The Muppets' Wizard of Oz provides sporadic amusement, but certainly fails to live up to the highly pleasing standards of the Muppets' past films. Its evident shortcomings in casting, songs, writing tone, and humor all add up to an experience which is never more than mildly entertaining and always far short of the excitement promised in theory. While the DVD offers first-rate picture and sound, the feature presentation does not stand up to viewing away from the commercial television confines. The fullscreen aspect ratio seems questionable, the extended cut may do more harm than good, and the handful of bonus features are diverting but brief and superficial. While Muppet completists will need little encouragement to add to their collection, others are encouraged to try the gang's other projects first, including the concurrently released "Muppet Show" Season One set and the four film Special Editions Disney will release in November. ".......

Now before you all decide to blast me and call me a big jerk. My original cooments still stand, I did like Muppets OZ, and it was miles better that what I was expecting. I agree with this review, in that I think that the Muppets have a long way to go to get back to being truly good again. The Edgyniss of there recent films in my view doe snot do much to aid them, but hinders them, and I think if they keep it up they will loose an audience base. Again I know you all do not agree with me here, but over all OZ was relaly good, and I plan on purchasing the DVD.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
The last section of the review seems to sum up my feelings very well, I ahve included it here......

"The Muppets' Wizard of Oz provides sporadic amusement, but certainly fails to live up to the highly pleasing standards of the Muppets' past films. Its evident shortcomings in casting, songs, writing tone, and humor all add up to an experience which is never more than mildly entertaining and always far short of the excitement promised in theory. While the DVD offers first-rate picture and sound, the feature presentation does not stand up to viewing away from the commercial television confines. The fullscreen aspect ratio seems questionable, the extended cut may do more harm than good, and the handful of bonus features are diverting but brief and superficial. While Muppet completists will need little encouragement to add to their collection, others are encouraged to try the gang's other projects first, including the concurrently released "Muppet Show" Season One set and the four film Special Editions Disney will release in November. ".......

Now before you all decide to blast me and call me a big jerk. My original cooments still stand, I did like Muppets OZ, and it was miles better that what I was expecting. I agree with this review, in that I think that the Muppets have a long way to go to get back to being truly good again. The Edgyniss of there recent films in my view doe snot do much to aid them, but hinders them, and I think if they keep it up they will loose an audience base. Again I know you all do not agree with me here, but over all OZ was relaly good, and I plan on purchasing the DVD.

:big_grin: At first I did not think highly of the Muppets Wizard Of Oz. But when I got the DVD gave to me I watched it and enjoyed it a lot. I saw clips that was edited out of the Brodcast version and loved every minute of it. It was Awsome :smile:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets OZ DVD

I watched the DVD last night and loved it, the added elements were great, and Dr. Teeth, Floyd, and Janice all had speaking parts......totally cool! Dr Teeth sounds really good, his voice is great. Floyd sounds good too, but needs a bit of work. I remain true to my original comments, I like the DVD better than the original broadcast, but it was not fantastic......it was very, very good, with lots of Muppet room for improvement.

One of the complaints I have, and may be it is just my tiny TV, but a few of the seen seemed to be very dark, and hard to tell what was happening in the long shots.....like in the wizards chamber, and when they finally see the Emerald city. I had hoped they would have explained how the wizard was able to make himself look like so many different things, giant head, ball of fire, dragon, and woman. It also just occurred to me that when Dorothy and gang return with the winged monkeys to the Wizards room, there is a very strong similarity between the Muppets OZ and the Film version of the Wiz. Also if you listen to the dialogue it is very similar to the 1939 MGM Film Classic when Dorothy and Friends return to the Wizard with the Witches broom.

I guess that is all for now.

petrieboy

Reaction score
Absolute S--t.

I ignored the negative fan comments and bought the dvd last night to see it for the first time. I want my money back.

I live in Hollywood, not far from Henson studio. I am considering throwing eggs at their wooden fences and at their statue of Kermit. I walked by the studio a week or so ago (at 3 am) and saw many, many people coming out of the studio, smoking, cursing, having partied or whatever... and now it makes sense why every current Muppet project is pathetic tripe. There is no magic to be found inside, no mastermind or creative wizard, not a single creative spark among the dead heads who have sunk so low as to peddle "Wizard" to innocent families. Jim is gone. Frank has departed. There is nothing left but the appearance of Muppets... just like the appearance of "Pleasure Island" in "Pinocchio" which felt good at the moment but made him a donkey. The Muppets' makers are making donkeys of them, and jackasses of us fans.

I thought "Muppet Christmas Carol" was a letdown when it arrived in 1993, but it now shines like a light among everything that has come since. "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Carol" was full of blasphemy with Whoopi Goldberg as God, in a very boring storyline, and hardly any music. Muppets and music go together. Now comes "Wizard of Oz" with slightly more music, though hardly anything worth listening to, and utter, utter blasphemy with Kermit the Frog hanging from a post and asking "You haven't seen "The Passion (of the Christ)" have you? WRONG. And not funny, not even to non-Christians. The Gonzo/nipple remark would be fine, if not for the overall immoral thread running through modern Muppets.

Muppets of the past: Moral, spiritual, funny, musical, great scripts.
Muppets of the present: Immoral, blasphemous, unfunny, non musical, poor scripts.

I've purchased every dvd, every cd, almost every action figure. The end is coming. Jim Henson Productions had better be in a parallel to the Disney studios 60s and 70s slump without Disney, and on their way to a "Beauty and the Beast" resurrection... or I am done with them and all of their new projects.

Fans, it is time we stop trying to believe in a feeling that is gone. We want the Muppets to continue throughout our lifetime, but how far will we allow them to go? We never used to have to TRY to enjoy a Muppet movie, their charms pulled us in with ease. The Muppets Wizard of Oz begins with a very stupid song, MTV reality show camera work, and a bad, stale actress named Ashanti. It begins with a surface scratching of ****, and descends into its fiery depths.

This is a sad day.

Rainbow Watcher

Reaction score
petrieboy said:
Muppets of the present: Immoral, blasphemous, unfunny, non musical, poor scripts.
Ummm, are you sure you have ever seen an early Muppet production? Because I have, and I would most certainly NOT describe them as either moral or spiritual. Seriously, needlessly agressive posts like this just make you sound stupid.

rumtar_10165

Reaction score
Say Wha?????

petrieboy said:
I ignored the negative fan comments and bought the dvd last night to see it for the first time. I want my money back.

I live in Hollywood, not far from Henson studio. I am considering throwing eggs at their wooden fences and at their statue of Kermit. I walked by the studio a week or so ago (at 3 am) and saw many, many people coming out of the studio, smoking, cursing, having partied or whatever... and now it makes sense why every current Muppet project is pathetic tripe. There is no magic to be found inside, no mastermind or creative wizard, not a single creative spark among the dead heads who have sunk so low as to peddle "Wizard" to innocent families. Jim is gone. Frank has departed. There is nothing left but the appearance of Muppets... just like the appearance of "Pleasure Island" in "Pinocchio" which felt good at the moment but made him a donkey. The Muppets' makers are making donkeys of them, and jackasses of us fans.

I thought "Muppet Christmas Carol" was a letdown when it arrived in 1993, but it now shines like a light among everything that has come since. "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Carol" was full of blasphemy with Whoopi Goldberg as God, in a very boring storyline, and hardly any music. Muppets and music go together. Now comes "Wizard of Oz" with slightly more music, though hardly anything worth listening to, and utter, utter blasphemy with Kermit the Frog hanging from a post and asking "You haven't seen "The Passion (of the Christ)" have you? WRONG. And not funny, not even to non-Christians. The Gonzo/nipple remark would be fine, if not for the overall immoral thread running through modern Muppets.

I've purchased every dvd, every cd, almost every action figure. The end is coming. Jim Henson Productions had better be in a parallel to the Disney studios 60s and 70s slump without Disney, and on their way to a "Beauty and the Beast" resurrection... or I am done with them and all of their new projects.

Fans, it is time we stop trying to believe in a feeling that is gone. We want the Muppets to continue throughout our lifetime, but how far will we allow them to go? We never used to have to TRY to enjoy a Muppet movie, their charms pulled us in with ease. The Muppets Wizard of Oz begins with a very stupid song, MTV reality show camera work, and a bad, stale actress named Ashanti. It begins with a surface scratching of ****, and descends into its fiery depths.

This is a sad day.
Ok lets review the Muppet Time line shall we...

1956 the Muppets are born.. great and magical
1963 Rowlf is a shinig star...very great moment.
1969 Sesame Street...the Start of something big
1976 (everyone) The Muppet Show..Excellent
1979 The Muppet Movie..Henson's magic begins.
now we all know what happens next so lets skip this part and jump fowoard to henson's death..
After only two movies the deal with disney and the muppets fall.
The muppets are only seen in Bits and pieces
Muppets from Space..tim hill..isn't he the one who did the Action Leage Now?
A verry merry muppet christmas.. a little ok.
but now they are back with disney, Ok show of hands on this question to all of you...
Do you think that Disney is trying to kill the muppets or saveing them?

I think saving but my vote dose not count.