Old Sesame Sketches

SesameMike

Reaction score
More about the "let's call it Shirley" sketch:

The setting of the skit was "The Planet of Snew" (Snoo?) The only thing to eat on The Planet of Snew was a nectarine from the nectarine tree. But one creature couldn't reach the fruit, and the other had no elbows so couldn't bring the food to her mouth. Hence the co-operation, as one wanted to call it.

I bet this skit has its origins in a legend that I've seen with different variations.

A person has a dream/vision in which he meets the Creator. He asks Him to see a preview of heaven. The big G responds that before he can see heaven, he must first see ****. The person is shown a vision of a beautiful banquet table of fruit. But all the people around it are constantly starving, because they have been put in bodies that have no elbows, and as such, can't put the food in their mouths. Then the person is shown heaven. The setting is exactly the same! The Creator tells him to look again. Everybody was satiated and happy. What was the difference between the two places? In heaven, the people had learned to feed each other.

I heard this story told a different way. There was a giant soup tureen, but all the spoons were too long to reach one's own mouth.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
not to be critical but if you mean GOD, don't feel funny about saying it. it's no big deal. unless you mean something else. i thought those were 3 spots you had. sorry i don't get that part.

Censored

Reaction score
Some people's religion teaches them not to write God's name. I don't know if that's the case here, but it's good to remember that what's not a big deal for one person might be something very important for another.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Yes, that's right.

Actually, the reason I wrote it that way is just the reason GeeBee gave. Thanks.

Mikebennidict: What are "3 spots"?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I definitely remember the sketch with the two muppets trying to get a nectarine. That one's been buried in the back of my mind for years! It was also one of the kinda freaky Sesame Street sketches. :concern: I don't know how to describe it. It wasn't really scary, just sort of surreal. I think there's a few other sketches like that I remember that fall into this category. It'd be cool to see this one again. Weirdly enough, I was actually thinking about this sketch the other day- and I'm pretty sure it was before I saw this thread! My mom had just brought home some nectarines and I had one to eat and hadn't had one in quite a while and for some reason a picture of that sketch came to mind! :crazy: :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Actually, the reason I wrote it that way is just the reason GeeBee gave. Thanks.

Mikebennidict: What are "3 spots"?
i was referring to these * don't know what they're called.

SesameMike

Reaction score
I had written in Hades, spelled in the H-E-double hockey sticks manner. Would you believe that the message board censored that word out?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
yes. depending on your usage, that is considered an expletive.

muppetwannabe

Reaction score
I do remember the one about the milk bread and butter. A kid is asked to go to the store for is mom and he is trying not to forget what she wanted him to buy so he repeats it over and over! when he gets back home he is so proud and calls to his mom that he remembered everything! The one about the necterines was that two muppets one with really short arms and one with really long arms wanted to pick and eat the fruit. the one with the short arms could feed himself but couldn't reach the fruit and the other one had the opposit problem. finally the long armed one picked the fruit and the other one fed himself and the long armed one. I used to love that sketch!:excited: