MFS-disappointment!

DerekJ

Reaction score
Actually, as noted earlier, MFS was:

1) Like "Christmas Carol" and "Oz", a trotting-out by the new corporate owners (in this case, Sony and the German BFS), who wanted to play with their new purchase immediately upon ownership, and convinced themselves that the public would rush to see anything with Kermit & Piggy in it on pop-franchise value alone, regardless of quality,

2) A mess of dueling scripts, with Juhl's "From Space" script mashed with a later script-doctor's "In Space" storyline, and the studio left to figure out whatever story excuse would fit the new studio-approved "From Space" title for the marquee,

and
3) A confused behind-the-scenes Henson Assoc. revolving door of old-school brain trust, with Brian having just cleared up the first Disney dispute, Frank Oz upset over director Tim Hill and Brian's management, and writer Jerry Juhl retiring.

...IOW, a 90-minute chicken without a head.
(Although Gonzo might not approve of the metaphor.) :concern:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
THE COSMIC FISH HAVE SPOKEN TO ME! I'M FROM OUTER SPAAAACE!!!!! :concern:

Sounds like Gonzo to me. I love MFS, even without the singing. I don't think it matters what he is. And since they don't really say, he's still a "whatever". :big_grin:
Well, he didn't go crazy when his brain was going to be drained. I would have liked Gonzo say something crazy other than "I need my brain."

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I don't think it matters what he is. And since they don't really say, he's still a "whatever". :big_grin:
Right. He may be alien to our world, but he's still Gonzo, "whatever" he is.

Rowbes

Reaction score
I wasn't disappointed to find out Gonzo's family were from space. But I was disappointed to find out they were a "Kool and the Gang" cover band.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Rowbes said:
I wasn't disappointed to find out Gonzo's family were from space. But I was disappointed to find out they were a "Kool and the Gang" cover band.
You'd more think that they'd all show up eating tires to "Flight of the Bumblebee", eh? Well, so would I, actually.

One thing that is of note is that Gonzo was not the Tin Alien in MWoO- he was the Tin Thing. I wonder if Goelz specifically requested this, or if the writers of MWoO just decided?

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
No, I wasn't disappointed at all with the movie. I think it was great. More original muppet songs would have been good though.

Jonathan

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Jerry wrote a Script where when Gonzo's 'family' Landed, it turns out there where whearing "Gonzo Mask's" and where huge fans of his from another plantent. And the Muppets just execpted Gonzo as a Watever. It also had Music. But Brian Henson Hired new people to re-write it
Darn you Brain Henson

That Announcer

Reaction score
Here's my pros & cons of MFS:

THE PROS:

-Great character recasts.
-The reappearance of Beau, albeit as a background character.
-Dave's wonderful Chef, which is leagues ahead of what Bill Barretta does.
-A hilarious cameo appearance by Kathy Griffin.
-Bobo has a big role, which is nice for the Muppets' funniest-ever bear.
-Pepe's role was smaller then than it is now.
-Bunsen and Beaker have a perfectly sized part.
-Frank. 'Nuff said.
-That opening scene where Sam's doing the workout with the chickens.

THE CONS:

-No Muppet singing.
-Lots of Animal, Fozzie and Piggy, but very, very little Sam. WHY?
-A disappointing ending.
-I never really liked Gonzo...
-

HPDJ

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
-Bobo has a big role, which is nice for the Muppets' funniest-ever bear.
ANNOUNCER! How could you offend my sweet Fozzie! (Turns to Fozzie) It's OK, the nasty man didn't mean it... :embarrassed: :smile: