Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yes, he is. Probably just busy lately. Or, if like me, probably doesn't post on the weekends.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Oliver said:
On the subject of the Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 2 - Do you know if the cartoons featuring the 'Mammy Two-Shoes' character will be presented with their original language track and not a redubbed version? Would you also be able to confirm whether all the contents on the set will be presented complete and uncut/unedited?
First, let me say a big thank you for all the very kind words. It would take me another 12 messages to fully answer all your questions and as this is Muppet Central, I'm not sure how relevant they are.

But let me start with this... if people are interested, I will reveal my secret identity shortly. I'm not trying to be mysterious, but I'd prefer to wait a little longer. I've given many clues in messages around the board and I'm sure some people have figured out who I am. (Not that most people still won't go "Who?" when I tell them, but anyway...)

Next, let me answer the question I quoted above. As of the time when I finished working on it, the Mammy Two-Shoes cartoons on the set are presented undubbed and uncut (as are the rest of the cartoons on the set). In fact, I did a commentary track on "Puss Gets the Boot" (the first "Tom and Jerry" cartoon) and "Saturday Evening Puss" (which was the only cartoon on the laser disc set that used the 1950's remake without Mammy). I qualify this with the phrase "at the time when I finished working on it" in case nervous lawyers have done things after the fact. As far as I know, though, the previous statements I made are true.

Finally, do you have any inside info on upcoming animated DVD titles from WHV... Quickdraw McGraw, The Hanna Barbera New Cartoon Series, Tex Avery, MGM's Happy Harmonies series, etc?
I should know shortly. I was told one title, then was told it was put on hold, so I'll hold off announcing it until I know it's actually in the works.

Last but not least, could you offer a bit of background info on how you came to be involved in so many creative projects; puppeteering, animation, etc? Are you a historian by chance since you seem to be commissioned by studios such as Warner to appear on DVD releases to offer insight into productions and whatnot?
I am a historian by chance. Years of watching cartoons has finally paid off. Also, by virtue of the fact that I worked with many of the greats, I can speak from first-hand knowledge.

Please give us more detail into this - I'm especially curious to know your involvement in the Hollywood animation industry... circa what time frame would you say you came to be involved?

Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful stories about your life and colorful career, please keep them coming!

~ Oliver.
Thank you again for the flattering comments. If others are interested, maybe there's a more appropriate forum to tell some of my non-Muppet stories.

:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Head for it WOE! Would be a great place for it in Friends and Family.

Reaction score
Awsome

My baby step bro loves elmo and ernie and big bird he would be so excited if i told him i met ernie. hey i no the person that desinged the costume for the count :big_grin: once again it was an honer meeting you email me at gonesouthin@hotmail.com i was just wondering if you know what avenue Q is. It is a spoof of sesame street and they sware. Its pretty funny bt its a discrase to the muppets

chicamuppet

Reaction score
oh my! Just discovered this thread and took me quite long reading it entire!!
Just wanna say congratulations to WOE, it´s nice to meet so interesting people ( and of course you all that have asked so many good questions). I´ve learned a lot about muppets and made me love them more. Thanks guys!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
turnworldround said:
I was just wondering if you know what Avenue Q is. It is a spoof of Sesame Street and they swear. Its pretty funny but its a disgrace to the Muppets
I've seen Avenue Q twice on Broadway. I think it is hilarious and is actually performed by several puppeteers who also work on Sesame Street. Yes, it is an adult show, but I don't think it denegrates the Muppets at all. It is a parody.

Besides, the Muppets themselves are racy in a more family sort of way. In their day they were considered cutting edge. They were always eating each other and blowing each other up. Even a "G" rated film like "The Muppet Movie" has some risque lyrics in it. In the song "I Hope That Somethin' Better Comes Along", there is a line that goes, "Still, it's fun when they're fetching and agree to see an etching that you keep at your lily pad." In the 1950's, a swinging bachelor would invite a girl up to his apartment to "see his etchings". This was a ruse to get her alone in his apartment to do... well, you know what! Not exactly a "G" rated line when you know the meaning. There's also a line that intimates getting a girl pregnant. It's the line about the "the litter bug's gonna get you".

So, the Muppets aren't exactly as pure as the driven snow, either. I don't believe that Avenue Q is disrespectful at all. Quite the opposite, I think it's more of a tribute.

That said, I will put this disclaimer in again for all the younger members of Muppet Central: AVENUE Q IS AN ADULT SHOW!

:stick_out_tongue: