Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Thank you again for the flattering comments. If others are interested, maybe there's a more appropriate forum to tell some of my non-Muppet stories.
I know of a more appropiate forum for any stories relating to classic cartoons. It's at www.goldenagecartoons.com. I also post there, although under a different user name (on that forum I am known as Speedy Fast).

In fact, I was reading a post there that gave a link to this thread regarding your information about the upcoming Tom & Jerry DVD set (in case you are wondering, the thread is titled "you won't beleive this!".

Reaction score
lol

Was Once Ernie said:
I've seen Avenue Q twice on Broadway. I think it is hilarious and is actually performed by several puppeteers who also work on Sesame Street. Yes, it is an adult show, but I don't think it denegrates the Muppets at all. It is a parody.

Besides, the Muppets themselves are racy in a more family sort of way. In their day they were considered cutting edge. They were always eating each other and blowing each other up. Even a "G" rated film like "The Muppet Movie" has some risque lyrics in it. In the song "I Hope That Somethin' Better Comes Along", there is a line that goes, "Still, it's fun when they're fetching and agree to see an etching that you keep at your lily pad." In the 1950's, a swinging bachelor would invite a girl up to his apartment to "see his etchings". This was a ruse to get her alone in his apartment to do... well, you know what! Not exactly a "G" rated line when you know the meaning. There's also a line that intimates getting a girl pregnant. It's the line about the "the litter bug's gonna get you".

So, the Muppets aren't exactly as pure as the driven snow, either. I don't believe that Avenue Q is disrespectful at all. Quite the opposite, I think it's more of a tribute.

That said, I will put this disclaimer in again for all the younger members of Muppet Central: AVENUE Q IS AN ADULT SHOW!

:stick_out_tongue:
true i stand corrected

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie, your story is amazing. I'm sure we've all imagined what it was like filming and making that scene, but to hear from someone who was actually in it is astonoshing :stick_out_tongue:

unclematt

Reaction score
WasOnceErnie, do you have any other good Muppet stories for us?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was thinking, since you were originally supposed to be in the Emmit Otter line, do you think that if you did perform one of the smacharacters, your screen name would be something like "was once wendel" or "Was once a lobster"?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You all know how nice WasOnceErnie is here? Met him in person: SUPER nice guy! Great puppeteer, too.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
There are at least three other threads already going about the auditions, most of them in the "Puppetry" forum. Check them out!

:stick_out_tongue: