Victory: House rescinds cut in Public Broadcasting

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Jessica said:
WHOOOOHOOO!!!!

I'm so happy about that. :big_grin:. We can finally stop worrying about it for once. YAY for pledges! Wait, scratch out the thing about pledges. We don't need those again. We've had far too many this month, anyway.
As an intern for my local PBS, I can tell you they HAVE to do pledges, because other than Funds, and underwriting, they're non-profit.

Jessica

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
As an intern for my local PBS, I can tell you they HAVE to do pledges, because other than Funds, and underwriting, they're non-profit.
Yeah, I know, but they bore me to death!

Oh, and for the British comedy marathon, they showed Benny Hill at like 1 AM.

Yes, and basically PBS, in many of the stations around the US, show British comedies at around 10 PM to 2 AM during the weekends. Slowly they're taking over PBS, and before you know it, THURSDAY will become British comedy nights aswell. I can't believe they started out with a 10:30 - 11:00 PM block! Now, it's like, wow!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
They listed titles and characters above. For example, Mr. Humphries on "Are You Being Served?" We probably get old comedies here that may not even be in syndication there anymore.

I wonder what would happen if PBS started running Benny Hill late at night???
Actually, a while back, PBS had Monty Python on late nights. And I presume most of it was in tact. They didn't bleep out the word ******, at least.

>>Yes, and basically PBS, in many of the stations around the US, show British comedies at around 10 PM to 2 AM during the weekends. Slowly they're taking over PBS, and before you know it, THURSDAY will become British comedy nights aswell. I can't believe they started out with a 10:30 - 11:00 PM block! Now, it's like, wow!<<

What PBS station are you talking about? I have 2 local PBS stations, and only one run like 2 hours on Saturday (Provided there isn't another pledge week interrupting them). There's Ballykissangle which isn't even considered a sitcom, so much as a dramtic series with comedy in it, Are You Being Serves (which I love and still love) and that tediously unfunny Keeping up Apperances. You pretty much see one episode, you seen them all (sorry to fans of that show, it just doesn't do anything for me).

We used to have Mr. Bean, Black Adder (all series), Red Dwarf (that right? Red Dwarf? Or is it White Dwarf), and a bunch of others. It would really be something if they ran Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (since the movie was out), but the only British shows they have are Mystery and Masterpice theater. And they run this insipide British CSI clone. Other than the accents, refferences to Scottland Yard, and driving on the other side of the road, it's the same crap we have here.

But this is indeed good news. I just wish they'd stop running those Dr. Wayne Dyier infomercials and Yoga marathons week after week.

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Personally, I think Sesame Street could fare well without PBS. There's enough product licensing and plenty of kids educational programming that would embrace it quickly on commercial TV.

Like was said earlier, we're not saving Sesame Street or educational programs. We're saving British Comedies.

Jessica

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
What PBS station are you talking about? I have 2 local PBS stations, and only one run like 2 hours on Saturday (Provided there isn't another pledge week interrupting them). There's Ballykissangle which isn't even considered a sitcom, so much as a dramtic series with comedy in it, Are You Being Serves (which I love and still love) and that tediously unfunny Keeping up Apperances. You pretty much see one episode, you seen them all (sorry to fans of that show, it just doesn't do anything for me).

We used to have Mr. Bean, Black Adder (all series), Red Dwarf (that right? Red Dwarf? Or is it White Dwarf), and a bunch of others. It would really be something if they ran Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (since the movie was out), but the only British shows they have are Mystery and Masterpice theater. And they run this insipide British CSI clone. Other than the accents, refferences to Scottland Yard, and driving on the other side of the road, it's the same crap we have here.
I'm talking about KERA (Dallas, Texas)

This is basically what they show:

FRIDAY

9:00pm Monarch of the Glen
10:00pm Goodnight Sweetheart
10:30pm Goodnight Sweetheart

SATURDAY

9:00pm Dad's Army
9:30pm May to December
10:00pm Last of the Summer Wine
10:30pm Yes, Prime Minister
11:00pm The Newsroom
11:30pm Fawlty Towers
12:00am Red Dwarf
12:30am Blackadder the Third

SUNDAY

10:00pm As Time Goes By
10:30pm Keeping Up Appearances
11:00pm My Hero
11:30pm Are You Being Served?
12:00am Porridge
12:30am 'Allo, 'Allo
1:00am Father Ted
1:30am The Royle Family

It varies sometimes. At times, we have Coupling and they never bleep out anything. I remember hearing a bunch of bad stuff on The Royle Family last week. I don't think they do much censoring.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
I know tis is old...sorta ...but I emailed my senator and today I got an email back!,,,,I dont know if he actually wrote it....it seems too fact fulled...and senators have staffers for thinking (except Obabama...he thinks for himself) well anyway heres the letter I got

Thank you for contacting me about the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

The CPB is an independent, non-governmental agency created by Congress in 1967 to allocate federal funds, referred to as Community Service Grants (CSGs), to public radio and television stations nationwide. CPB created the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR) in 1969 and 1970, respectively, to distribute CPB-funded television and radio programs. Over 1,000 local radio and television broadcast stations make up the local public broadcasting community. Most public broadcasting stations are run by universities, nonprofit community associations or state government agencies.

The CPB is funded by membership subscription contributions, donations from businesses and foundations, and federal appropriations. Federal funding represents about 14.9 percent of CPB’s annual revenues. Congress funds the CPB two years in advance. For example, in Fiscal Year (FY) 2005, funding is provided for FY2007. The FY2005 Omnibus Appropriations Act, which was signed into law on December 8, 2004 (P.L.108-447), allocated $400 million for CPB in FY2007.

The House Appropriations Committee, Subcommittee on Labor, Health, Human Services and related Agencies recently proposed a 25% cut in the CPB’s annual budget. During floor consideration of the bill, the House of Representatives amended the committee’s recommendation and approved full funding for CPB. As the Senate debates appropriations for CPB, it is my hope that Congress will continue to adequately fund the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The CPB provides vital support to non-profit institutions that create unique and valuable programming for American and worldwide audiences.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,
(My Senator)