how do you like my puppets?

thatonekid

Reaction score
my mom and i have made these puppets for this little business type thing that we're going to have. this batch isn't for sale yet, we're taking them to a festival tommorrow but if they don't sell there they could for sale on ebay soon.

cilck
here to see the puppets
(i made the two green ones, my mom made the other three)

i would LOVE feedback, good and bad. so bring on the comments! :wink:

DannyRWW

Reaction score
These are quite impressive ( I like the first two... very unique). I've never been able to make decent puppets myself so I'm always impressed when I see puppets that people here online have made. If you put these up on e-bayor someother way of selling them I certainly will keep my eyes open.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Those puppets look great! :smile: I especially like the front teeth on the first green one. Gives him alot of character. Keep on making original designs like that and I'm sure they'll sell like hot cakes.

Oh I just noticed that they were attached on the outside of his mouth. Perhaps you should see if you can attach them behind the upper lip. Or atleast curve them along the upper lip. Know what I mean? I think that would look better. But I guess you added the teeth later and so you don't have much choice. it's something to remember for next time perhaps though (I've made millions of tiny mistakes like that already. But I learn from them every time. You're already much better than me though)

thatonekid

Reaction score
super sweet, thanks for the feedback. i like that idea about the teeth, they have kinda been bugging me, but it was too late. they are actually curved with the lip but you can't really tell in these pics, but i like that idea about tucking the teeth behind the upper lip.

i've added another photo of douglas (the one with teeth)here, you can see his teeth better on this one.

here's another question, do you or do you not like the little speck in their eyes? in my photography class i took this year they said that when getting rid of red-eye on photoshop, you should put little white specks on their eyes to make the person look more alive. i kinda like how it looks, but that might just be my viewpoint.

so what do you guys think?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I like the speck in the eyes, it makes them look lively. I especially love the green furry one. I want to take him home! Does he have a name?

DannyRWW

Reaction score
You know the more I check out those pics I really Like that first puppet. Is he your own design or did you use a pattern?

thatonekid

Reaction score
the green fuzzy one's name is Marvin, crazy green one with teeth is Douglas, the old man is Alfred, the bird is Gertie, and the old lady is Eunice.

all of the puppets that we (my mom and I) make are one of a kind, we don't use patterns. well... mostly... Marvin's body is from a pattern, but give me a break, we was only my third puppet ever lol :halo:

Iokitek

Reaction score
I'll give you a break :smile: no worries. And yes the specks for eyes are a very nice touch. I saw a monster puppet on here the other day wich had the same feature. It really does make the puppets come alive. I'd do it myself aswell if I made puppets like that. Instead I (want to) use anime/manga style eyes wich also have specks. But in a different kind of way then ofcourse. I'm still experimenting with it. I want something completely original you can't find on any other puppets but mine.

oh tell your mom to make tuck the lips over the mouthplate :wink: hehe No offense. But that just looks better. I also made that mistake with my first puppet. So I can imagine your mom doing the same. Eunice looks great apart from that little detail. And it's too late to fix it I guess. Other than that your mom did a great job. Can't wait to see what else you two will cook up next.

thatonekid

Reaction score
when putting on the little specks, it's best to use white electric tape. tape is better because you can take it off and on if you don't get the focus quite right. i suppose if you were really good you could use paint, but i think it'd be alotharder.

pjspuppets

Reaction score
from that one kid's mom

Thanks for all the responses to our puppets. Very encouraging. One correction I'll make to my son's info -- the old guy is named Albert, not Alfred. As in Einstein....

Good advice about the mouthplate/lips on Eunice. I did it differently on Albert because I wasn't all that happy about Eunice's mouth.

One detail you really can't see on the pics is that Eunice has a bee in her hair. Probably won't be noticed in a puppet show either. I'm gonna put a pic ofEunice on my name in this forum once I get my computer consultant (son) to show me how to do that. I kinda relate to the old gal -- sort of out of touch! lol

We're going to the I-Fest puppet festival in Kankakee IL this week, so we'll be all fired up to make more puppets when we get back. This batch will probably go on e-bay next week, and if they sell, we'll try more.

I have a question about you folks on this forum. Are any of you guys girls? Or do just men make puppets? :confused:

Thanks for your input.

Pat