Another Jim Hill Muppet rant

MWoO

Reaction score
WHAT????? WHY???????//

I'm not buying this.

Stulz

Reaction score
Slight misinformation..

Sorry the Newsman and Wayne and Wanda cuts are from the Joel Grey episode not Vincent Price.

amiki chan

Reaction score
Stulz said:
here's my 2 cents aboiut this whole edited pitch reel fiasco.

If Disney threw the pitch reel on the set as an Easter egg or as a hidden bonus not listed anywhere, still edited as it is now, I might be a little less ******. Simply because it would then be a happy surprise to find, and if I knew it was edited and didn't care to take the time to find it because of the edits then, I could watch the set and forget it was even there.

But for Disney to put so much emphasise on the pitch reel's inclusion on the set and as "Something you were never meant to see" then edit it, seems just really bait and switch dishonest.

If they are really trying to bulid the fan-base and market this set to collectors (Note the very graphic based cover design instead of using stock poser cast photos) then they need to leave everying "completly restored and remasterd" as advertised, and not "Edited because we can, and we'll get you $$ one, way or another."

After the initial shock of hearing of the edits I too thought it might be because of the CBS logo, But here's where that theory falls flat to me:

If they really wanted to keep it there are other options instead of a straight cut, such as:

* Roto-scoping Kermit out and have him appear in front of the red cutians or some other Muppet Show related background

* Relpacing the CBS logo with the ABC logo

* Relpacing the CBS logo with a black background

* Using other footage of Kermit that matches the vocal track

* Having the dialogue audible over black

* GET CLEARENCE FROM CBS!!

See many options.

If it really was for the CBS reasion then Disney just didn't try hard enough, and if it was for the PC reason then they obiously don't know how to tell a joke because Kermit's "What the H-E-L-L was that all about?" is the punch line to the entire build up of the frantic sales pitch that precedes it!

Either way it won't effect my descion to get the set, but it definately dampens my apprecation for what truly could have been a "Completly Restored and Remasterd" first season.

:boo: :grouchy:
Amen to that! There is absolutely no reason for Disney to not include the FULL pitch reel. I might change my mind and buy it later but I kinda doubt it after this. The library will get this set and I'll watch theirs.

Stulz

Reaction score
Larry???

Just a heads up:

You might want to change your bottom quote. Johnny said that to Sal. There's no Muppet named Larry.

:embarrassed:

MWoO

Reaction score
Why the cuts to the episodes?

amiki chan

Reaction score
Stulz said:
Just a heads up:

You might want to change your bottom quote. Johnny said that to Sal. There's no Muppet named Larry.

:embarrassed:

LOL!! You're so very right! Don't know what I was thinking about. Now I'm wondering if I spelled his last name right :wink:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Stulz said:
Not quite.. Muppet DK just posted on Tough Pigs that the Vincent Price episode is missing "you've got a friend" as well as Wayne and Wanda and the Newsman!
Yeah, I just found that out today. I just canceled my order; I have been collecting for years and already have the first season uncut, with opening titles. I was mostly interested in the special features, and partly in having the first season uncut in digital quality, but if it's not uncut, I'm not going to bother, at least for now. I may rent it and see if it's worth it.

My guess is that the cuts were accidental, probably used incomplete copies and didn't know it. THIS needs to be remedied. Anyone planning to email TMC/Disney about why the cut in the promo should first and foremost ask why the cuts in the episodes, thus pointing out the (assumed) oversight. Be polite, thank them for putting the set out in the first place, and then ask about the edits. Try to pose it sounding curious rather than annoyed, disappointed rather than fuming. And we all need to do this, I'm talking email FLOOD here. The Time-Life videos and DVDs at least left the content of the main episode intact. My guess is that whoever made the DVDs either got the wrong masters, or that the PAL masters have lost some footage or deteriorated in parts, to the point of being unsalvageable. Your guess is as good as mine.

As soon as someone has an email address to send the concern to, they should post it in a new thread.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

P

Philip Kippel

Gorgon Heap said:
As soon as someone has an email address to send the concern to, they should post it in a new thread.
Yep. They should certainly post it...along with a sample letter.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
one thing we should think about regarding the original ending line in the pitch tape that I don't think has been mentioend yet: at the time that it was made, Jim Henson probably didn't ever expect it to be seen by the general public. It was only made as a way to possibly sell the show to a network. Even when it became common for programs to be released on video, The Jim Henson Company probably never expected it to be released to the public.

MWoO

Reaction score
And so you are sayijg Disney cut it because they talked to Jim Henson from the great beyond and he said they should cut it?

At Muppet Fest the reel was shown and they did not cut it and that was done by the Jim Henson Company and Brian Henson was there as well as the rest of the family I'm sure.