• I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
*Paul Williams: This episode is a classic. I am surprised that this episode wasn't released by Time-Life (did henson or Time-Life have a problem with music rigths and not want to release any cut episodes?).
You know, that got me to wondering, and not in a good way. There were a number of episodes I would've expected to be released on the Time-Life videos; chief among them was the Bernadette Peters episode. It's a bona fide classic, right up there with the Madeline Kahn and Julie Andrews episodes. Do you suppose that maybe this episode and others too weren't released because of prohibitive music rights?

Has anyone gone through the trouble of finding out who the uncooperative rights holders were in the case of the Season One edits and if they hold the rights to songs from any future seasons?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

KCJ506

Reaction score
Here's a thought if they can't track down who owns the rights put them in anyway. If someone sues, Disney will know who has the rights.

anathema

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
You know, that got me to wondering, and not in a good way. There were a number of episodes I would've expected to be released on the Time-Life videos; chief among them was the Bernadette Peters episode. It's a bona fide classic, right up there with the Madeline Kahn and Julie Andrews episodes. Do you suppose that maybe this episode and others too weren't released because of prohibitive music rights?

Has anyone gone through the trouble of finding out who the uncooperative rights holders were in the case of the Season One edits and if they hold the rights to songs from any future seasons?

It was released in France, though, so it's possible that Time-Life just hadn't got around to it. It's also possible that the rights were available for France, of course.

anathema

Reaction score
KCJ506 said:
Here's a thought if they can't track down who owns the rights put them in anyway. If someone sues, Disney will know who has the rights.
That's the normal procedure, yes, so long as you can demonstrate that you've made every reasonable effort to track the rights holder down.

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:

Well, Carole King wrote 'You've Got a Friend'. Not sure if all the rights to her songs are owned by the same people, but if so, Loretta Swit's 'I Feel The Earth Move' is in trouble.

Oliver

Reaction score
In the past week Ive been to Future Shop, HMV, Metro Video and Wal Mart... SOLD OUT.

I can't find the **** box anywhere, and I wanted a fuzzy set!!! :eek:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
anathema said:
That's the normal procedure, yes, so long as you can demonstrate that you've made every reasonable effort to track the rights holder down.
Well, according to one of the Muppet Morsels, nobody seems to know who wrote "You And I And george", yet it was performed on the show, included on the DVD, and included on the video Childrens Songs And Stories With the Muppets, and I think it was included on an album (maybe Rowlf: ol' brown ears is back?).

anathema

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Well, according to one of the Muppet Morsels, nobody seems to know who wrote "You And I And george", yet it was performed on the show, included on the DVD, and included on the video Childrens Songs And Stories With the Muppets, and I think it was included on an album (maybe Rowlf: ol' brown ears is back?).
Yes it was, which was rather my point! :-P

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Other non-season one epsiodes that I think would have quailified for "the best of the muppet show" are the ones with Christopher Reeve, Leslie Uggums (i think these videos were first released after henson sold it's ownership of the Sesame Street characters, but that didn't stop Time-Life from releasing the marty feldman episode), and Shirley Bassey. Although I haven't seen these episode, the ones with Hal Lindeon, Leo Sayer, Zero Mostel, Kris Kristofferson & Rita Kooledge, Linda lavin, Phyllys George, and Lou rawls seem like they would qualify for a "best of" release.

KCJ506

Reaction score
I haven't seen the Chris Langham episode but I heard it was really good. So I was suprised that Time-Life didn't released that episode. And the fact that he was a writer on the show.