Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I haven't decided yet

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm still buying the set

Votes: 100 87.7%

• Total voters

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I just got the TMS Season 1. No one could pull me from the TV for about twelve hours and I had quite a headache afterwards. I'm still trying to figure out where all the time went. Out of all the muppeteers Dave Goelz seems to show his head the most in the scenes. Another thing I noticed in the commentary captions is that they mentioned random things and had a few spelling mistakes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, dispite the fact that the stuff was sadly cut due to greedy copywrite holders who didn't want to make a deal, I'll still get this one. But, then again, if Disney has the money to renew the Rodney Covington sitcom, they should have had the money to keep this stuff in. I'm thankful they probably kept the Sesame Street characters in (they did, right?) which was the prime thing I was worried about.

amiki chan

Reaction score
Just got The Muppet Show DVDs from the library and I have enjoyed them. I'm still undecided as to whether I would buy this or not but I have another question.
If Disney's reasoning for editing the "original pitch reel" was either Kermit saying "What the ****?" or the CBS logo at the end. If it's the logo then they had no problem with the guy that was doing the promotion saying CBS. I heard him loud and clear and I got ticked. I wish we knew the real reason why that was chopped up.
And also Disney has money to buy the moon and the stars so I still don't get why they didn't try harder to make a complete Muppets set. Buying it makes me feel like I'm saying I'll take what ever you throw at me because it's Muppets.
If no one complains a little bit they will continue to do half work on this and I think the Muppets and Jim Henson deserve better. :cry:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
It's about time this thread was updated. I just watched the Ethyl Merman episode today and since I'm towards the end of the season, I've noticed the Muppet's look and sound the same as they do today. Piggy's pretty much always performed by Frank, Sam's look has been updated, the Newsman with glasses, etc. I'm looking forward to season 2. It will be great too see the episodes that haven't been released before. I just hope they don't make too many cuts.

cej

Reaction score
I got the DVD yesterday and so far I've watched the first disc.
I grew up with the Muppet show and instantly I had the feeling of being brought back in time to my childhood. Can't really describe the feeling. But it was great :cool:

I wasn't more than a couple of years old when I watched it the first time around, so I can't remember all the episodes and I don't feel like there's anything missing with the things being cut out.

Haven't watched the show since some re-runs in the mid 80s or so. Some months ago I decided to see what was going on and saw that the season one was coming out on DVD. Great :excited:

I just loved the Muppets back then. My favorite character was Gonzo. My mom even nick-named me Gonzo..lol.

And I still do. I'm glad I bought the box set and I'll buy the rest of them :smile:

Ozzel

Reaction score
So I've been seeing this hotel commercial on TV lately that's playing the song "All of Me." :confused: If they can license this song for usage for this commercial, then why couldn't Disney get it for the DVD?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Ozzel said:
So I've been seeing this hotel commercial on TV lately that's playing the song "All of Me." :confused: If they can license this song for usage for this commercial, then why couldn't Disney get it for the DVD?
I could be because of that commercial or some other agreement. Sometimes when songs are licensed out to one company there is a clause in the contact saying you can't give the rights out to other people for X amount of time.

For example: the parody music artist "Weird Al" Yankovic wanted to do a parody of "Jack and Diane" by John Couger Mellancamp back in 1983. He went to get the clearances to cover the song and could not get them. The song was licensed out as the "theme" for some chick-flicky date movie (I don't even remember the name of the film - it grossed about $2 total). But because of that he wasn't allowed the rights at that time (and he didn't want to wait a year or so). He reworked the parody into an original song and released it (FYI - the song's "Buckingham Blues" from his first album). However many years later, he appeared on The Simpsons and was able to a parody of the song (titled "Homer and Marge").

It not all cost related, it is all about timing too.

Telly

Reaction score
I just skimmed really quick-like through the thread. I bought it the first day it came out and I don't regret it at all! Granted I don't really remember an entire episode, much less every skit. I think we should just be glad they're releasing vintage Muppets. Maybe the cut songs will be on future season sets? I think we should be happy with what we get. Seems us Muppet fans aren't ever happy with anything now-a-days. :sympathy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
However many years later, he appeared on The Simpsons and was able to a parody of the song (titled "Homer and Marge").
Do you happen to know whether Weird Al Yankovic actually wrote that song parody or if the Simspons writers did? It didn't appear on his most recent album, which was released after this episode aired, so I;m not sure if it's because he didn't write it (Weird Al once performed a song on Square One TV called Patterns, but he didn't write or produce it so it wasn't ever on any of his albums) or it it sounds out of place on a Weird Al album or what.

Drtooth

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
For example: the parody music artist "Weird Al" Yankovic wanted to do a parody of "Jack and Diane" by John Couger Mellancamp back in 1983. He went to get the clearances to cover the song and could not get them. The song was licensed out as the "theme" for some chick-flicky date movie (I don't even remember the name of the film - it grossed about $2 total). But because of that he wasn't allowed the rights at that time (and he didn't want to wait a year or so). He reworked the parody into an original song and released it (FYI - the song's "Buckingham Blues" from his first album). However many years later, he appeared on The Simpsons and was able to a parody of the song (titled "Homer and Marge").
I always knew that was supposed to be a parody of that song. I know he also tried the Beverly Hills theme with several different songs before Money for Nothing (commentary from the UHF DVD).

But besides the point, I still horribly want this. But could we expect more from a Muppets DVD release? Wasn't MFC on vhs and DVD's ruthlessly cut too? You know, the complete deletion of the Sleighride number, making the snowman's appearance random and nonsequitor? I'm glad they had half the songs they DID get the rights to. I mean, I have no problem with the artists that own their own songs, but the greedy recording corporations and rich people who buy up rights to stuff so they have it.... that's why I'm upset.