EW Reviews TMS Season One

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, even though he referred to it as a kiddie show.

Ernie101

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yeah, even though he referred to it as a kiddie show.

Nice article, good review.. but I agree.. he is wrong about it being a "kiddie show."

MrsPepper

Reaction score
"First off, it's essentially a kids' show"

I stopped paying attention after this point.

unclematt

Reaction score
Ernie101 said:
Nice article, good review.. but I agree.. he is wrong about it being a "kiddie show."
It is not a kid's show. Yes it has kids qualities but this is not the Muppet Babies. There are adult themes and plenty of humor that flies right over the Kiddie's heads. For God sake the pilot was called Sex and Violence. While in todays day and age that might be a Barney episode but in the 70s I can gaurantee it was not meant to be a kids show. So lets collectively put this image of TMS as a kids show out of our minds. Yes it appealed to kids because they are puppets but the humor, music and flirtatious nature of the characters were not aimed at kids.

Moran9969

Reaction score
I really don't think that the Muppet Show was aimed at kids. Sure it had cute puppety things in it, but their material would fly over any kid's head at the time, and even today. Even the first three movies had wonderful adult humour in it, something that my young cousins never understood why I was laughing, but nowadays their movies seemed to be focussed towards the younger crowds. I don't know really, but the Muppets of old were so much more funnier, and today they just seemed to be more cute and kiddie friendly. NOT OUR MUPPETS!!!

Back on track...

Thank God that Jim and Co. didn't keep the ideas for Sex and Violence for their regular run. I just watched that today and man was it horrible. The pilot was dreadfully boring, dull. I know that it was just a pilot episode, but it was not funny at all. Once the first episodes got underway however, the Muppet Show was awesome. Can't wait for Season 2 to come out, anyone know when they will hit shelves?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
No more discussion about TMS not being for kids. We all nkow and believe this, so we ought not to dereail this thread.

Anyone notice that the pilot, as mentioned in the post above me, has no laugh track? Laugh trakcs make shows seem so much more funny sometimes. It's cause a third person laughs along with you.

unclematt

Reaction score
Good call on the laugh track.

Season 2 is expected in 8 to 12 months.

Is there any chance of the other pilot being included. I would love to see that.

Frogster

Reaction score
Look, for those of you who are a little upset about them referring it to being a kiddie show, they're right. It is for kids, primarily. But that shouldn't matter. It's still a darn good show. We don't like to hear that because we're the real fans. Other people, however, refer to it being for kids because, if you look at the format and the jokes of the first two seasons, it is for kids. For me, it probably doesn't appeal to an older crowd until the third season.