Wanted: Betamax video recorder

anathema

Reaction score
Hi all...this is a bit of a long shot, but does anybody have a working NTSC Betamax video they'd be willing to part with? :smile: I've been looking for one for a while, but they're kinda hard to come by... Thanks!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I think ive seen some PAL ones on ebay but I guess thats not what you are looking for?

anathema

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
I think ive seen some PAL ones on ebay but I guess thats not what you are looking for?
No, hence the "NTSC" :-P

I have a functioning PAL machine (actually, it's a multi-standard, but its NTSC capabilities are shot).

InnerChild

Reaction score
Oh, just noticed where you're at. Maybe a stupid question, but do you have the equivalent of "flea markets" in Scotland. I see nothing but old tech (including Betamax players) at the local flea markets and consignment stores.

Heh. If it wasnt for flea markets I'd never known what a CED was. Picked up two working players with spare parts and 50+ movies for $20.

anathema

Reaction score
InnerChild said:
Oh, just noticed where you're at. Maybe a stupid question, but do you have the equivalent of "flea markets" in Scotland. I see nothing but old tech (including Betamax players) at the local flea markets and consignment stores.

Heh. If it wasnt for flea markets I'd never known what a CED was. Picked up two working players with spare parts and 50+ movies for $20.
I'm sure we do, but the chances of finding an NTSC deck in the UK are slim to say the least!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
There's a whole lot of them for sale on eBay (US), and in all cases it's cheaper since you'd be spending £ instead of $ ... :wink:

Let's just hope they ship worldwide.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
It might actually cost you less to get the multi-standard fixed! Those machines are usually so expensive because they have every world power system in them. Maybe the power to the 60HZ section is misbehaving, and it could be something simple to fix.

Of course, if it's not, then you were on the right track in the first place, so ignore me like everyone else does!

eric

anathema

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
It might actually cost you less to get the multi-standard fixed! Those machines are usually so expensive because they have every world power system in them. Maybe the power to the 60HZ section is misbehaving, and it could be something simple to fix.

Of course, if it's not, then you were on the right track in the first place, so ignore me like everyone else does!

eric
No, I'm reasonably sure the heads are shot, and those are irreplaceable. It's also an extremely elderly machine, even by Betamax standards, so I'd rather get a newer model :smile:

The problem with eBay is that prices for Betamax decks are hugely inflated. There's a nice multistandard machine in the UK right now, but the seller is after at least £350 for it, and it's not worth that much to me!

Shipping from the US is around $60, so it's not horrendous. However, the last one I attempted to have sent over was - apparently - rejected by Customs. This makes no sense...