Puppeteer's Resources Links

Lady Constance

Reaction score
UK Puppet Building Supplies

I realise that most of you seem to be in America, but I thought I'd ask -

Does anyone know where I can get hold of puppet building supplies in the UK?

I've just got the Glorified Sock Puppet pattern and thought I'd have a go at building my first puppet, but I'm a bit stumped as to where to get things from, particularly Antron Fleece - is there a UK supplier? Also, I'm not familiar with polyfoam and posterboard - are these called something else in the UK?

Thanks for your help.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Lady C,

I don't know of specific suppliers in the UK, but I think Antron Fleece is only produced by Georgia Stage. I'm pretty sure they will ship internationally.

As far as poster board, I think it might be referred to as 'card' across the pond. It comes in various sizes, but commonly is around 4 ft by 5 ft. (Forgive me for not using metric dimensions.) Schoolchildren use it for science fair displays.

Polyfoam is the kind of foam they use in upholstery. It usually comes in multiple thicknesses, but for puppet making, generally the 1/2", 1/4", and one inch thicknesses are used.

I hope this helps,

Jason

Lady Constance

Reaction score
I don't know of specific suppliers in the UK, but I think Antron Fleece is only produced by Georgia Stage. I'm pretty sure they will ship internationally.
Ok. I did wonder if it was only an American thing, so I'll check out the shipping ...

As far as poster board, I think it might be referred to as 'card' across the pond. It comes in various sizes, but commonly is around 4 ft by 5 ft. (Forgive me for not using metric dimensions.) Schoolchildren use it for science fair displays.
That makes sense - and it's easy to find!

Polyfoam is the kind of foam they use in upholstery. It usually comes in multiple thicknesses, but for puppet making, generally the 1/2", 1/4", and one inch thicknesses are used.
Ok. That should be fairly easy to find too.

I hope this helps,
Very helpful, thanks.

Eddiemonster

Reaction score
Best Glue to use?

I saw a video on youtube called "Making a puppet tutorial part 2". The builder was using a glue to seam together the foam that seemed to give her alot of time and then sealed instantly when she pressed the seams together. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of glue this would be or if anyone could suggest the best type of glue to use for seaming together foam.
Thx in advance.

Reaction score
I saw a video on youtube called "Making a puppet tutorial part 2". The builder was using a glue to seam together the foam that seemed to give her alot of time and then sealed instantly when she pressed the seams together. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of glue this would be or if anyone could suggest the best type of glue to use for seaming together foam.
Thx in advance.
:smile: Hola! :wink: hehe well i saw the same video and thought where the heck do i get that? well i live in florida too and went to joAnne fabrics, they have a glue it works awesome! it works with fabric on foam, foam on foam, fabric on fabric, fabric on poster board, etc..... ytour welcome! and heres the link to it!:excited:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3268&PRODID=prd6064&source=search

Teenager's

Reaction score
I've used that. Boy is it smelly! You should definetly get a ventilated space to use that. Also no lie, it does work Fast like it says on the bottle. Also as a tip, if you're going to use it to glue onto a flexible part say live hands DON'T it gets TOO stiff to move.

Toasty

Reaction score
Thx in advance.
I have not seen the video you describe, but the David Pannebacker videos turned me onto a product called DAP Weldwood contact cement http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=47
It is VERY potent stuff (ie: do not inhale it directly from bottle accidentally) but it works like rubber cement in that you apply it to both sides of the foam (or just about anything---including fingers---so be very careful), allow the adhesive to dry so it isn't tacky, and then press the 2 parts together. This creates an instant and incedibly strong bond.

Except for the special handling care that needs to be taken, it is the best stuff I've tried for bonding foam pieces together. I've also used it to attach eyes, noses, and ears directly on top of Antron fleece... those suckers are not coming off without taking half the fleece along with it.

Teenager's

Reaction score
Yes, I also like using DAP Weldwood....but I find that when I use it I HAVE to let it air out for a day (sometimes 2) before I can continue working, because it smells a bit like a sewer. BUT it definetly does work and is Great to use.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I remember seeing a tutorial or a video a while back about a puppet builder who coated a wooden nose with black liquid rubber to look like a dogs' nose (Rowlf type). Does anyone else remember this, or have a link to it?

I'd really like to get going on my Rowlf puppet one of these days, but I want his nose to be perfect.

Thanks!
:smile:
Anthony