Spammers at MC...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
anythingmuppet said:
SPAM: Definition 1:
A disgusting lunch meat
Definition 2:
The worthless posting of gibberish (eg. hwergkjldsl;kfaj!)

Sorry if I spammed when trying to define spam!
Definition 3: An insult to America's best food.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Also, a note to anyone who comes across a Spam thread. It's kind of a personal peeve on my part, but PLEASE, DO NOT reply to it! It bumps it up and just brings more attention to it, which is what the spammer wants in the first place. And since we're a very family-oriented forum, I mean, we're such a tight community, that we are more likely to trust our fellow members and click the links, if they don't realise right away that it is spam. So please, again, do not bump up the topics. It will clutter the forum and we don't want to give our business to these people who just junk up the forum and want to take our money.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
We had lots of spam on the muppets downunder forum at one stage, theres special programs that act as robots and sign up as a different user and just post rubbish.

anathema

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
SPAM---internet scams. Don't know how it got the name, but when folks come to a place and post something that is more advertisement than anything, and the sole purpose of joining is to post "spam."
Almost :smile: Spam is 'unsolicited commercial email', also known as UCE. The name comes from a classic Monty Python sketch set in a cafe, where every dish on the menu included spam (the food :smile:. The point was, you got spam with everything, and so it is with email :-(

You also get "spam" mail. The guy in Africa who wants your bank account so he can direct deposit millions of dollars in your account--only to DEPORT your funds from you!
These are indeed scams. The specific one you mention is called the '419' after the section of the Nigerian penal code that deals with it (the majority of these scams originated in Nigeria, although these days they come from all over the place).

Never open emails you do not recognise. Even the simple act of reading a spam mail in programs such as Outlook can have unfortunate consequences: a common trick is to send HTML emails (which are evil in themselves) containing 1x1 pixel graphics. The graphic is hosted on a website run by the spammer, and when Outlook displays the email, it will download this graphic from the site. When this happens, the spammer is able to determine that your email address is active - that is, there is someone reading email at it - and the deluge of spam will increase. And of course, viruses travel by email...

If you don't know who sent it, delete it!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
anathema said:
If you don't know who sent it, delete it!
My mom tried that, then my dad told her about the birds and bees and, well...here I am.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
theprawncracker said:
We've been overrun!!!:eek:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21760

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21759

Please ban adonica. Her only two posts have been SPAM. And look at her ocuppation! (Link removed--went to Kimp's profile, and that's not "adonica.") It says computer! Ban her now! Thanks...:smirk:
Handled! Thanks for helping keep an eye on things, gang.

Okay, let's try to keep this thread only for reporting SPAM/SCAMS from here on out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
anathema said:
Quote:
You also get "spam" mail. The guy in Africa who wants your bank account so he can direct deposit millions of dollars in your account--only to DEPORT your funds from you!
I'm getting those same e-mails a lot lately, this dude also either sends then under different aliases, or he has friends jumping on the bandwagon, because I'm getting a ton of e-mail from this guy! Only he's saying that I need to collect my inheritance, or they need my finacial/spiritual help.

And then lately, I've been getting e-mail from Viaagra! What in the world do I need Viaagra for?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There are tons of emails going out with the medication names misspelled so they can make it through your spam filter--you see those in your subject line, so you automatically know you can delete them. Anything that says "FW:" "FWD:" or "RE:" gets deleted from my email automatically by me. Another thing, too, is that if you can open your mailbox/inbox as wide as your computer screen, at the far right of the subject line are always a mix-n-match bunch of letters and numbers, and I've noticed that's always on spam emails.

I wish whoever the people are that is spamming MC would have their computers crash!

That Announcer

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
There are tons of emails going out with the medication names misspelled so they can make it through your spam filter--you see those in your subject line, so you automatically know you can delete them. Anything that says "FW:" "FWD:" or "RE:" gets deleted from my email automatically by me. Another thing, too, is that if you can open your mailbox/inbox as wide as your computer screen, at the far right of the subject line are always a mix-n-match bunch of letters and numbers, and I've noticed that's always on spam emails.
That's been happening to me more recently lately. Of course, the spammers deliberately misspell everything so that it can make it through the filter. The one that I get most frequently is for "Ci-alis", but I've had the "Viaaggra" emails that D'Snowth talked about once or twice as well. You figure these spammers would have a better way to make a living... :frown: