Linda Bove Appreciation Thread

BEAR

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Yeah, I rush through the posts sometimes while I"m at work. Shame on me!!

But, for those two and their personalities (so laid-back), I'd call that relationship "hot." Otherwise, it's bordering on "kinda there, but not really."
Yeah, they definitely were a couple. Since Linda left, I wonder how Bob is feeling. Maybe they should have had a "breaking up" episode or something. I mean just to explain why she was leaving because she was connected to others staying on the street. It would be like having Luis all of a sudden leave the show and Maria staying. How would you explain that to people?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I loved Linda! I learned alot about sign language because of her! I had a book when I was little with her signing the letters of the alphabet. I remember when they decided that Barkley needed a home and several different people on Sesame Street wanted him to live with them (Gordon and Susan come to mind) but Barkley chose to live with Linda and became very helpful to her. I also remember her from Follow That Bird. I think she added a very important dynamic to Sesame Street and it's too bad that she's not there anymore.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Whatever said:
As I keep posting, Linda is one of my role models because she is the only other person with a hearing loss that I knew of.
Remember there were two hearing-impaired actresses on TV at the time (this being the same time as Marlee Matlin was getting Oscar nominations)--
And always liked Bove for trying to put a positive Street spin on deaf-community images by having a perceptible sense of humor and being the less snotty of the two.

(While Matlin, meanwhile, continues to push into roles on "West Wing" and "Law & Order"...)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I am not hearing impaired in any way, but it was Linda Bove and Sesame Street that inspired me to learn American sign language.
Oh my gosh Bear, me too!

Really!

Me too!

:smile:

She was so interesting to me as a little boy by introducing me to sign language...actually I just now remembered I wrote a poem about that very thing in my Advanced Creative Writing II Class in college (I'm no Lord Byron [unless I change my first name to "Lord"] but it's still neat to have that little "hard evidence" of Linda's inspiration to me).

I was thrilled when I went to college and I got to start takin' American Sign Language in my 2nd semester. I fell in love with it so much I minored in it. This was such a WEIRD experience for me...for the first time in my life I got to class as soon as I could, gladly stayed afterward, and did as much extra credit as possible! lol

I was really involved in the Deaf Ministry at the BSU there, and even held the council position for it before I graduated.

Wow, you brought to mind a few things I hadn't thought of a while in this thread. I haven't signed wth someone in about 2 years, but sometimes I test myself by signing along with the TV or if I'm talkin' to myself, lol. :embarrassed: Like you, I'm amazed at how much I remember---it's a whole new world than tryin' to remember Spanish! lol

Thanks for this thread, Bear...I love Linda. She's so nice, sweet, and caring about teaching kids. She's my favorite SS human. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking of starting a thread like this after reading the posts on the old Barkley thread. I guess great minds think alike.

There are quite a lot of great moments I remember with Linda. Including the time she filled in for Oscar in an "Ask Oscar" segment. I also remember sketches where Linda would sign something and Gordon would say what it was, then something would happen to him. For example, if the word was "pie," he'd get hit with a pie. I'll probably think of a lot more later on.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Actually, I was thinking of starting a thread like this after reading the posts on the old Barkley thread. I guess great minds think alike.

There are quite a lot of great moments I remember with Linda. Including the time she filled in for Oscar in an "Ask Oscar" segment. I also remember sketches where Linda would sign something and Gordon would say what it was, then something would happen to him. For example, if the word was "pie," he'd get hit with a pie. I'll probably think of a lot more later on.

Don't remember that one, but I'll bet Linda just laughed and laughed.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Actually in that particular one with the pie, it backfired and the pie hit Linda and Gordon laughed. I also remember her doing a few of those same signing skits with David.

Whatever

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
Remember there were two hearing-impaired actresses on TV at the time
Uh-uh, not in my world. My mom was so strict that the only TV shows we were allowed to watch were Sesame Street, Muppet Babies, Laurence Welk and Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Uh-uh, not in my world. My mom was so strict that the only TV shows we were allowed to watch were Sesame Street, Muppet Babies, Laurence Welk and Dr Quinn Medicine Woman.
...Not even the "Happy Days" episode where Fonzie had a crush on the deaf girl, and it was Linda, not Marlee?