Open Source Puppetry Project

DannyRWW

Reaction score
sooo..... someone want to design a basic pattern for our Monsters? (just trying to keep this thread alive)

MGov

Reaction score
Anyone have a server and the bandwith to post the videos at?

Reaction score
Guys and gals, I just wanted to say this is a very neat idea. The inept invaders plot is a great concept. I'd love to be involved somehow. Though I have no video camera. Maybe I'll be able to get one by time things get rolling though. Postcards, anyone? :big_grin:

Yahnke

Reaction score
I think we've got our basic concept, let's just go out and work with it as individuals. Those creative and energetic enough to get the early videos or postcards done will kind of set the tone for the rest of us- especially in refernece to what this "monster race" will look like. About the only thing we should do is nail down, who is going to be that noble leader to whom all we mosters report? (IE who is going to do the dirty job of collecting and uniting all these tapes!?!??)

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Good idea - Yahnke. First things first, we need some stuff to work with - "to set the tone". We should do some videos and postcards first before worrying about bandwidth, website, etc. - even if at first we're passing around video and pictures through email.

I'm already working on a Monster Series for Project Puppet. I'd be happy to offer a discount or rebate for those who want to be part of this project. That is, for those who want a monster pattern to work from.

Hey what are we calling this thing. It's an "open source puppetry project", but what's the name? The name of the monster race? The name of the show? The name of an eventual website?

Yahnke

Reaction score
oh yeah....kinda forgot about that stuff...then name and what have you...
ya know what would be funny, maybe annoying though, is if you never knew what the race was called or the planet they were from....kind of like on Home Improvement..you never saw wilson's mouth...you'd get close...you might see a little..but you never got a good look. I think we could do the same joke and make it kind of fun?

DannyRWW

Reaction score
... I'm fresh out of ideas here. I usually make better follower than a leader... give me some idea starters and I'll take off but I'm not very good at planting the seeds.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Creatures

When we were talking about the characters,I got to thinking. How about some generic "practical hands" monsters, like Telly or Cookie? I've seen some good looking characters here. In the thread about constructing a Rowlf puppet, I saw a guideline for how to make a body. I think that would give uniformity to the "race" of characters, but still allow for creativity.

As far as naming goes, how about calling the these explorers the "Omega Company." (An 'omega company is dumping ground for all of the soldiers who don't quite fit into regular "military" discipline and lifestyle--the misfits, if you will.) They report to Sargeant Sarcon, who is only marginally more fit for office than his underlings. He was assigned to this post after he made a HUGE faux pas with some dignitary and is always trying to get himself back into the good graces of the high command with his team's reports and discoveries.

Reaction score
I actually like the idea of having different puppet styles. Mixing the hands ones (like Fozzie) with rod based ones (like Gonzo) or maybe even smaller characters (like Rizzo or Pepe). I think it gives the race some variety which would look nice. Maybe there's another way to create uniformity like a specific color, the eyes or some antennae?

I love the Omega Company idea. I think it's very clever. It sounds all science fictiony, but has an underlying meaning in reality. Maybe for the huge faux pas the characters could make references to it, but never really spell out what actually happened. Like the infamous "Noodle incident" from Calvin & Hobbes. It'll always be bigger in your imagination. :smile:

Phantom

Reaction score
So, if it is "science fictiony-ish" are we looking at alien monsters, under your bed monsters or like those you find stealing socks at the laundromat?

Oh wait that was some deranged homeless man and it wasn't socks...my bad.