Don't Eat the Pictures--does anyone remember this?

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
without having to worry about a certain little annoyance (who's name I won't go so far as to even mention) taking up half the screen time!:big_grin:
knyuk knyuk

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
If they ever do release this on DVD, they'll most likely have Marty Robbinson dub over Telly's lines, because Brian Meehl performed him back then. I can see why they wouldn't release it on DVD at all though, as Barry Lee mentioned everyone though Snuffy was Big Bird's imaginary friend in those days, and it was refferenced in the special many times. Now on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, and Follow that Bird, Snuffy was known as Big Bird's imaginary friend in both those specials, but there was no mention of him being his imaginary friend by the adults, and there was no close encounter where they almost saw him and they didn't. In both these specials Big Bird and Snuffy were only seen alone together.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, in Follow That Bird, the only characters who Big Bird mentions Snuffy to are the Dodos, who weren't even regular characters, and it seemed ambiguous as to whether or not they beleived that Mr. Snuffleupagus was real.

DerekJ

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Oh, yes, I have seen this, and so have many people on this forum. It was first broadcast (I think on PBS) in 1983, released on vido in 187 but currently isn't available on video or DVD.
(Well, not available on DVD, anyway--
The Met museum one seems to be the VHS, and I ain't touchin' it.)

Meanwhile, everybody got lokced in the museum. There was a security guard in the museum, but nobody sees him and he is usually looking in another direction whenever they walk past him. There was also a sub-plot (or maybe it was more of a running gag) where Cookie Monster wanted to eat the pictures but there was a sign that said, "please do not eat the pictures".
Also, one of the all-time great Bert & Ernie sketches, where the two are looking at the painting of George Washington crossing the Delaware, and Bert tells the story of how the Father of His Country led the troops into the boats and crossed the river to....NEW JERSEY!!
Ernie: "Gee, Bert, if he wanted to go to New Jersey, why didn't he do what everyone else does: Take the George Washington Bridge?" :stick_out_tongue:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think Snuffy being 'imaginary' would be kind of a dumb reason not to release the special on the DVD. Then again, I can see it from a child's point of view. Someone who's very young and couldn't have seen the show at the time would wonder why none of Big Bird's friends would bother to help him look for Snuffy. Still, many people are fans of the Classic "Sesame Street" years and would enjoy seeing an 'imaginary' Snuffy reference. I don't remember too many of those myself, so I wouldn't mind seeing "Don't Eat the Pictures." If it were ever released on DVD. It is advertised on the back of the "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" VHS tape, so it's probably on video somewhere.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
A Blooper in this special

If you really listen closely you will notice a rather odd blooper. When they first find out Big Bird is missing, there is a scene with David surrounded by all the Muppets (Telly, Grover, Oscar, Cookie, The Count, Ernie and Bert) He tells them "Okay Listen you guys wev'e gotta split up and hurry up and find him before the museum closes, okay? If you listen closely you can here Oscar say in a whinny sort of voice "What for???" but at the same time a little louder you can hear the words "Allright" come out of his mouth. So he says 2 different lines at the exact same time, I wonder what's up with that?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another blooper in this film: when the cast starts looking for Big Bird, you can see oscar walking by himself in the backgorund, but at the same time Oscar and Telly have a voice-over conversation.

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
I LOVED "Don't Eat the Pictures!" I used to have it on video (taped from TV, not a purchased copy), but I am not sure what happened to it. I remember enjoying all of Cookie's scenes, especially the one where he discovers that there is a sign that says "Please Don't Eat the Pictures" and the one where he sings the song about not eating the pictures, mummies, and statues.

~Dana~