Minority Characters

Rosewood

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Rosewood said:
Really? Which one was this?
I can't remember a specific episode # of hand, but it's the "Elmo's World" that talks about "families", which has been shown on more episodes than just one, and they show it when they show the short film that shows all sorts of examples of what is concidered a family.
I heard about it from someone else here on the forum way back, and still couldn't believe it untill I finally saw it with my own 2 eyes.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
BEAR said:
I can't remember a specific episode # of hand, but it's the "Elmo's World" that talks about "families", which has been shown on more episodes than just one, and they show it when they show the short film that shows all sorts of examples of what is concidered a family.
I heard about it from someone else here on the forum way back, and still couldn't believe it untill I finally saw it with my own 2 eyes.
That sounds really neat. I wish I saw it.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Just keep watching

BEAR said:
Rosewood said:
That sounds really neat. I wish I saw it.
To each their own. Just keep watching "Elmo's World". Even though they have new ones for the new season, they are still showing re-runs and I'm sure you will see it sooner or later.

Hays

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Sesame Street did have a major goal of encouraging ethnic diversity when they first started, and (IMO) they achieved it beyond their wildest dreams. But if SS were to attempt to pacify every minor group that came to them these days, demanding to be recognized, they would eventually have their fingers in so many pots trying to please the minorities, that their main objective (that being preparing kids for school) would soon be lost entirely. It's already headed in that direction, due to all the ethnic issues that they have already decided to take on and address.
I'm not asking for representation of any one specific group; the ones I threw out there were suggestions. What I'm saying is that times have changed since the 60's - the minorities Sesame Street worked so carefully to represent are now pretty mainstream; others have dropped off the Street entirely.

Because of that, I think we're losing an important element. I think it's vital for kids to learn that somebody who is different is an important part of the community. That, differences aside, we are all members of the same race: human. I also think that, because kids get more personally involved with the characters on the street, Sesame Street itself is where this lesson belongs.

Kids, especially the inner city kids targeted by Sesame Street's original mission, need to learn this in order to be prepared for school, because in a large city their school is very likely to be diverse beyond Caucasians, African-Americans and Latinos.

BEAR

Reaction score
I also think though that for children we don't need to push it too much. They can learn and be exposed to this without even using the human characters. Pop in the Follow That Bird movie. That is what the whole thing is about without necessarily saying it.

Censored

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Hays said:
(I'd like to see a gay family, but I think the time has not yet come) QUOTE]

You may get your wish sooner than you think:
SS has already shown a gay couple of men with a baby on "Elmo's World", and subtley stated in doing so that this is one form of "a family".
Was it a known gay couple?

This is why I'm asking; just because it was 2 men and a baby as a family, does not necessarily mean it's a gay couple. Many TV shows have presented scenarios where a household of men were taking care of children, but the men were friends, brothers, cousins, etc. I know the first thought would be a gay couple, but a picture doesn't always say it all.

Or maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous so viewers could draw their own conclusions as to what two men and a baby mean to them.

To go back to the song, "Same Voice", there's a line that says, "I've got one Daddy; I've got two". Are they talking about gay parents or a biological father and a step father?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You can say it out loud and show it by example. People can set aside their differences Rosewood, but it is also important to respect the differences of others as well. But one of the things I respect about Sesame Street is that they do not just talk about it or show it, but they live it.

Sometimes it is peoples opinions that help make this country what it is, and no two people in this world have the exact same opinion. It's not enought for people to just set aside there differences, but for people to see past as well as respect those differences in each other.

Oscar said that one of the things that sesame teaches kids is to respect the differences of others(not Excluding anybody) and not to just set them aside. America is more about exception, not rejection, which is one of the reasons many people come to this country every year, from other places.

The Grouch has spoken.:grouchy:

Hays

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I also think though that for children we don't need to push it too much. They can learn and be exposed to this without even using the human characters. Pop in the Follow That Bird movie. That is what the whole thing is about without necessarily saying it.
I'd settle for a muppet that doesn't speak ANY English or Spanish, or has some other difference, like can't hear or see. (If the Two-Headed Monster became a regular character that the other characters interacted with, that would work) They don't need to push it, but they do need to show it.

Doing this, though, loses the benefit to kids who could identify directly, like I remember doing with Maria.

BEAR

Reaction score
Hays said:
I'd settle for a muppet that doesn't speak ANY English or Spanish, or has some other difference, like can't hear or see. (If the Two-Headed Monster became a regular character that the other characters interacted with, that would work) They don't need to push it, but they do need to show it.

Doing this, though, loses the benefit to kids who could identify directly, like I remember doing with Maria.

Interesting idea there. Wasn't Mel a gibberish speaking monster?