Minority Characters

Hays

Reaction score
Right - Mel could work, but again, he's not on the street, and not around anymore. Plus he's "translated" by another monster, which doesn't have the same effect.

I'd prefer how the Two-headed Monster speaks a kind of monster version of "spanglish," where there's an English word here or there, but lots of gestures and expression.

But even easier than all this is for Alan to show some of his heritage, whatever it may be (or what SS decides it is.)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
They don't have to shove something down people's throat, but they can talk auout it. But they can also explain that that doesn't mean that you can't be friends or still like somebody because of it.

The main objective of Sesame Street is not lossed by disscussing ethnic issues, because the world is more connected to each other then it has ever been in any point in history, and it is a required part of the educational curriculum for children at a young age to know what is going on in the world around them, in which they live.

By learing about issues and conditions in other countries, children have even been able to help people in other countries. Communication and the understanding of internntional boundries is much of the way the work world opperates today.

Rosewood

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Rosewood said:
Was it a known gay couple?

This is why I'm asking; just because it was 2 men and a baby as a family, does not necessarily mean it's a gay couple. Many TV shows have presented scenarios where a household of men were taking care of children, but the men were friends, brothers, cousins, etc. I know the first thought would be a gay couple, but a picture doesn't always say it all.

Or maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous so viewers could draw their own conclusions as to what two men and a baby mean to them.

To go back to the song, "Same Voice", there's a line that says, "I've got one Daddy; I've got two". Are they talking about gay parents or a biological father and a step father?
Like I said, I was told by someone else that this was a gay couple. And your right, a picture doesn't say it all. In fact, it says nothing in words. So I guess that leaves it up to the individual to decide. Like you said "Mabey it was so ambiguous so viewers could draw their own conclusions as to what two men and a baby mean." If, indeed, that is the case then that means it is open for interpratation to be seen how ever people choose to see it. I have my own opinion, just as the next person does. But I, for one, am not about to push my opinion on THIS subject on any one else, be it one way or the other.
But as for the words to the song "The same voice", I would say the time frame when it was written would be the key to determining weather it was refering to gay couples or simply to kids who were the victims of divorce.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
They still have examples of people with disabilities on the show, even in there are none who are cast members currently at the moment.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
They still have examples of people with disabilities on the show, even in there are none who are cast members currently at the moment.

I remember one episode of Elmo's World (might have been the pets one) where all the kids featured who were to answer Dorothy's question were handicapped children in some form.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It was a family just like any other families in the examples of family, and why are you people singling out this family, what about all of the other familes as well, is anybody intepreting any of them. The didn't say anything about any of the other families either, maybe so they would not pass judgement on any of them.

The fact of the matter is that they were trying to teach kids that there were many different kinds of families.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thank you, thats what I mean Bear, even thow those people aren't there anymore, they still discuss that there are people who are impaired.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Thank you, thats what I mean Bear, even thow those people aren't there anymore, they still discuss that there are people who are impaired.
It was never discussed in the segment, it was just there. It didn't have a thing to do with Elmo's topic of the day.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Hays said:
Right - Mel could work, but again, he's not on the street, and not around anymore. Plus he's "translated" by another monster, which doesn't have the same effect.

I'd prefer how the Two-headed Monster speaks a kind of monster version of "spanglish," where there's an English word here or there, but lots of gestures and expression.

But even easier than all this is for Alan to show some of his heritage, whatever it may be (or what SS decides it is.)
I know he speaks english, but the count is Transylvanian, and Old Mcdonald is Scottish, and even thow this might not necessarily a minority, some Muppets have a southern accent.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, weather it is being discussed or being shown by example, it still is a good thing that it is on the show. Dicussion is a good thing as well, because it not only imformes every body involved, but if there are any questions that childern may have, then it may answer some of them or help them to better understand about what is being talked about.

But showing children can also encourage children to further explore or find out about something, which is also a good thing.