what disney should have done for the special edition movie DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
This karate chop thing is confusing me. WHy would they cut a song if she karate chops? I'm lost.:confused:
If you're lost, you should try Harry Krishna.

Seriously, they would cut a song if they couldn't get the rights to it. Just becausew she karate chops somebody doesn't mean Disney won't have trouble getting the rights.

When i first posted this comment, I was going towrite "I wonder what would happen if Disney had to cut a song where Miss Piggy karate chops somebody because of music rights", then I thought by the way I worded it somebody might think I was sayign that Miss Piggy karate chopped somebody because of music rights. That would be funny, though....

Miss Piggy: Moi didn't give Vou permision to use her song. (karate chops)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BEAR said:
This karate chop thing is confusing me. WHy would they cut a song if she karate chops? I'm lost.:confused:
Not because of the chop, but because of the license rights to the song. If they can't get them or it's too costly to get the rights, they'll just cut it from the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Also, actual special features would have been nice. Who would have liked to have seen the tv specials made with TMM and GMC? I would have. Hmmmmmm. ><
As long as Disney eventually releases them, I don't care how they are released. As features for the movies, as features for the Muppet Show season sets, as part of a Muppet specials boxed set, as their own DVDs, as part of a single-disc "double feature" or "tripple feature" of specials.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Specials

For kermit's 50th anniversary, maybe it would be good for Disney to release at least one special a month for a whole year. Of course, if Disney was releasing at least one special a month next year, I think we would have had an announcement by now.

Anyway, here is how i would do this:
January: The Muppets: A celebration of Thirty Years (or The Muppet Revue)
Febuary: Hey, Cinderella!
March: The Muppets Go To The Movies
April: Tale of The Bunny Picnic (or The Kermit and Miss Piggy Story)
May: The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson (or Childrens Songs and Stories With The Muppets)
June: The Muppet Musicians of Bremen
July: John Denver and The Muppets: Rocky Mountain Holiday (or Rock Music With The Muppets)
August: The Muppets At Walt Disney World
September: The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show
October: The Muppets Go Hollywood
November: A Muppet Family Christmas (or The Frog Prince)
December: John Denver and The Muppets: A Christmas Together (or Mr. Willobys Christmas Tree)

I listed some alternatives just in case there are any legal problems. The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years, The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, and A Muppet Family Christmas all include characters from Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock, plus A celebration of Thirty Years and The Muppets Celebrate Jim henson include clips from variosu productions not owned by Disney (and some not owned by Henson or sesame Workshop), whiel A Muppet family Christmas has always been edited due to music issues.

I listed some alternatives with both of the John Denver specials because I know that John Denver's family owns the rights to those special, or partial rights. But even if Disney doesn't own all of the rights, Rocky Mountain Holiday was released on DVD by Columbia Home Video when they had the rights to henson programs, so Disney could probably work out a deal to get the video rights.

I am sure that Kermit's Christmas Capers would probably be released on DVD next year, though it seems like it is now undetermined whether this special will be broadcast or made.

rowlf

Reaction score
While unlikely, it would be great to see a lot of those specials finally released.

matleo

Reaction score
On the subject of Pig Calypso being cut......

that's a song that was written specifically for the show. it's owned by Muppets...er, Disney. So I don't think you need to fear it being cut. However she and Cheryl Ladd did the song 'I enjoy being a girl while beating the daylights out of a stuffed practice dummy and :smile: That's one they'd have to work on to get the rights.

Also, I'm concerned about them getting the rights to some ofthe Beatles/Beach Boys songs that they did on the show since they did a LOT of them and they did a LOT of them really well. I'm hoping that certain 'individuals' don't get too greedy about their work and the rights to their work.

--Matt

minor muppetz

Reaction score
matleo said:
Also, I'm concerned about them getting the rights to some ofthe Beatles/Beach Boys songs that they did on the show since they did a LOT of them and they did a LOT of them really well. I'm hoping that certain 'individuals' don't get too greedy about their work and the rights to their work.
The first season set included two beatles songs, "I'm Looking Through You" (in the Vincent price episode)and "In My Life" (in the Twiggy pisode).

Reaction score
I am composing another angry letter to Disney to tell them I'm not buying the Muppets Christmas Carol or The Muppet Treasure Island -- AGAIN! -- because they continue to eliminate special features in deference to that blasted "full-screen" version. Since I already have both films on high-quality widescreen laserdisc, DVD is not an upgrade yet. And the laserdisc is the "extended" version, too.

Oliver

Reaction score
It would be nice if Disney actually put half an effort into releasing these films by offering us proper REMASTERED sound and video transfers in one ratio only - the CORRECT one! And ported over all of the significant extra features, documentaries, behind-the-scenes, etc. (could live without Muppet Morsels) from past releases alongside the commentaries and actually produced some new material worthy of inclusion apart from stupid 3 minute segments with Pepe who for some reason has become the Muppets lame new annoying posterboy even though he wasn't even in a single one of the films released! It would also be nice to have some of the ACTUAL people who were involved with Jim Henson and The Muppets to add to these discs, by providing retrospectives, interviews, film footage, etc. I'm personally not buying a single one of these new releases apart from The Muppets Christmas Carol and even than with hesitancy. Some "50th Anniversary Editions" these are!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Do the pepe's profile interviews even have anything to do speciffically to the movies, or are they basically random interviews with the muppets that could be included in any DVD release? Would it look weird if Disney released a two-disc special edition and left the profiles out? If Disney wanted to release a special DVD with all four Pepe's Profiles, plus some additional interviews (with Scooter, Rizzo, Floyd, and others) would it look weird for them all to be together? I guess having them packaged together on on DVD would be a benefit for those who don't want to buy these special editions.