Authentic, Fully Licensed, Muppet Replicas Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So, this is a doll, not a puppet? A puppet replica would be cool and at the same time cheapen it, but that prototype or actual cut from the line or whatever you wanna' call it doesn't look that impressive, just big. I have old plushes that look more like the real puppet then that, which is odd because I had a Master Replicas set of Wolverine claws, so I'm familiar with their work. I'm a little skeptical here, not about it's release, but about it's likeness.:concern: :confused: :smirk:

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
So, this is a doll, not a puppet? A puppet replica would be cool and at the same time cheapen it, but that prototype or actual cut from the line or whatever you wanna' call it doesn't look that impressive, just big. I have old plushes that look more like the real puppet then that, which is odd because I had a Master Replicas set of Wolverine claws, so I'm familiar with their work. I'm a little skeptical here, not about it's release, but about it's likeness.:concern: :confused: :smirk:
Master Replicas has never produced Wolverine Claws, and actually haven't released any Marvel replicas yet. Cyclop's visor is coming next year, and will be their first. There have been Wolverine Claws produced, but Master Replicas has never made any. Are you sure you're not thinking of the claws produced by FactoryX?

The MR Kermit will be, for all intents and purposes, a poseable statue.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe it was... or was I duped? Perhaps a fraud? I've been hornswaggled! Thank you, BigDumbWookiee for allowing me to finally have the chance to say "hornswaggled."

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Were they all "metal" (or at least lookalike metal), or were they part lookalike bone as well? I believe the all metal version is from FactoryX, and there was another version with a bone hand and metal claws from Diamond.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Metal, and sharp as anything too. I can even tell you where and when I got 'em too: Wizard World Philly, 2003. I really coulda' sworn they were MR... nuts.:embarrassed:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
my use of fanboys is not meant to be demeaning, since i am one as well, it is only a short hand, but like all things muppet related in the last few years, strong opinions will contiue to be forged on both sides.

it is certainly a product i do not plan on supporting.

Treelo

Reaction score
Ravagefrackle - you've taken the words right out of my mouth. I fully agree with every one of your comments.

I cannot believe that Disney is doing this. For some reason, they have a very careless attitude about the Muppets. They wouldn't dream of releasing replicas of their Mickey Mouse walkarounds. Why is it acceptable to plop an actual Kermit in the lap of anbody with a few hundred bucks?

Seeing Kermit will no longer be special or exciting if people already have him sitting in thier living rooms. They might as well remove Kermit from the Smithsonian right now, because soon nobody will care. He'll be about as common as a box of breakfast cereal.

http://www.littlereview.com/photos/smithamh.htm

This is a big mistake. Huge. The death of a star, really. And it makes me sad.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Treelo said:
Seeing Kermit will no longer be special or exciting if people already have him sitting in thier living rooms. They might as well remove Kermit from the Smithsonian right now, because soon nobody will care. He'll be about as common as a box of breakfast cereal.
I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with those that are down on this idea.

First of all, we don't know what the number available will be. Let's say it's 1,000. That's 1,000 out of 270,000,000 people in this country. That hardly makes Kermit as common as a box of cereal.

Second, I've known people for years who already have unlicensed replica puppets. That hasn't made the vast majority of people stop caring. I still get a thrill at seeing a real Kermit, even though I've played for hours with a homemade one.

Third, I want one. I like replica puppets. I have a Beany (from "Time for Beany"), a Tom Servo, plus Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff made off of molds from Paul Winchell's figures. But once I got to see Winchell's real dummies and was every bit in awe as if I didn't own my own.

Fourth, a Kermit that Jim Henson used will still be more valuable than one that Steve Whitmire used or a Master Replica version.

Finally, this all seems to me to be as big a brouhaha as the people who were so distraught that they were auditioning for new Muppeteers. In the long run, replicas are replicas and will not diminish the value of the puppets that are actually featured in the films and on TV. The real thing is always worth more than the copy because it was used by the people collectors admire. Plus, you can point to the screen and say, "That's mine!"

:stick_out_tongue:

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
It seems to me that the same people are always the ones who think badly about EVERYTHING thats new. And it always seems to turn out just fine. I say hold your bashing untill you have the item in hand or see how it really effects the world and than you can rightfully judge, and say that it is a mistake, but to me it seems EVEYTHING people have complained about always seems to work out fine, and were are those people now? They have shut up and probably own one of why they protested in the beg.

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility of Disney allowing the release of replica walkarounds, especially based on vintage costumes. They've already allowed the release of replica vintage mouseketeer ears (like Annette Funicello wore), and have allowed the release and creation of vintage monorail replicas (miniature, of course). That's not such an outlandish idea.

For me, having replicas doesn't diminish the impact of the property. I own a lot of props, stuff from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter and about a dozen other movies. I have costume replicas from Lord of the Rings, displayed on mannequins, and I have life size Mogwai replicas from Gremlins and Gremlins 2. Seeing all of this makes be better appreciate the painstaking effort people go to, to make movies and fantasy real, and it has never diminished my appreciation for the real thing. I've attended many Star Wars prop/costume/etc exhibits, as well as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy Exhibition, and every time I see items at these exhibits, I'm still moved, I'm still awe struck, and I still feel just like a kid the first time I saw Star Wars (obviously I couldn't have also been a kid during LOTR though).

I have a life size Legolas costume on a mannequin at home, but remember the feeling I got seeing the screen used Legolas costume at Lord of the Rings exhibit. Seeing what went into just creating a replica helped me appreciate even more all of the painstaking efforts that the crew went to, to make the real thing.

I can look at my lifesize Gizmo sitting on my shelf, but I still have the same emotional response when I watch Gremlins.

I collect replicas because it supports my appreciation and affection for a given license. Seeing the real thing is still moving. If anything, owning a Kermit replica will only increase my desire to take a pilgrimage to the Smithsonian to see the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.