A funny observation about The Gorg's Garden and Outerspace

Beauregard

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Such a mysterious, complex, wonderful world...
You missed squishy. Such a mysterious, squishy, complex, and wonderfull world.

I supose none of the behind the scenes and interveiws on the Season Set explained the location of Gorg worlds?

superboober

Reaction score
Not specifically. I'd have to adhere to the "parallel universe" theory as well.

TARDIS60

Reaction score
I'd have to say Fraggle Rock is a terrestrial wormhole! It bridges spatial distances on our planet not technically possible, especially the T. Matthew Fraggle Room (not to mention the tunnel they find in 'Change of Address' which makes it possible to walk from Canada to 'the desert', at least in the North American version). So the Gorgs' Garden doesn't even have to necessarily exist on our planet or plane of reality. Yet certain things connect them all, usually through Fraggle Rock itself -- most prominently the water as seen in 'Let the Water Run' and 'The River of Life,' and the pipes that funnel the Gorgs' ring all the way through the rock from Outer Space in 'Ring Around the Rock.'

I still can't explain the crown, though. Maybe it got flung through a minute fracture in reality caused by the way space bends around Fraggle Rock?

Maybe I need to stop letting my Farscape-watching habits influence my thinking. :excited:

Kassi

Convincing John

Reaction score
Gorgish ramblings...

Janice & Mokey's Man said:
...and a mysteriously-located area in the one where Wander McMooch takes Philo and Gunge prisoner and drags them while he rides his bike (can't remember the name o' that one).
I think it was the "Home is Where the Trash Is" episode. And although we don't see them in there, Philo and Gunge go into Outer Space!

Was the castle named Gorgola? I thought that Doc said the sign "La Gorgola" came from a ship. (Did the Gorgs once have some kind of gargantuan viking boats at one time?) In the book "The Radish Day Jubilee", Pa's sword is named "Gorgonzola". Kind of a cheesy name for a sword if you ask me. :embarrassed: :wink:

Y'know...in the past, I've read and seen where Jim Henson (and other artists) compile a whole lot of notes and write histories for their characters that never make it to the screen (or book). I think of all the legends and extra information about "The Dark Crystal" world of Thra, and how Jim explained "Well, we need to know what's beyond this world, even though very little of this ends up on the finished screen."

Let's apply this to the Gorgs. Pa is usually preparing for a battle...or reading up on Gorgish myths. The only one we hear in full is the Legend of Sir Hubris. Were more written? Could Jerry Juhl have sat down and wrote down some notes about the Gorgs' past? Why are there only three Gorgs? Are there more...or are they on the brink of extinction? There's a map over the mantlepiece in the Gorgs' castle. Is it of an ancient Gorgish civilization? We know the basics of the Gorgs, but there's a whole history (mostly military) behind them somewhere. They have their own set of legends, and even have some kind of a religion. In "The Trash Heap Doesn't Live Here Anymore", they say a kind of "grace" before they eat.

(They stand)
Pa: "All thanks to the spirit of the great Gorgs, and the generosity of the garden".
All: "Hey nonny, nonny, nonny."
Pa: (takes a drink) "Ha cha cha."

And along this line...could one of Pa's expressions be from some lost human who traveled into the Gorgish realm by mistake thousands of years ago? I'm referring to Pa's cry of "Drat and Deuteronomy!" (Sightings of giants appear in early books of the Bible, and maybe this is what inspired Pa's expression?) I dunno, just throwing some thoughts out there. Perhaps only Jerry Nelson holds the answer to that question.

It would be great if they came out with a great big ol' book exclusively about Fraggle Rock, treating it the same way that Brian Froud treated "The World of 'The Dark Crystal'".

Hope I haven't muffined the thread too far, but this kind of stuff is fun to think (and write) about.

An "in-betweeny place"...I like that! :big_grin:

Convincing John

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I always wished they would have had the other Fraggles go into outerspace more.
Yeah I agree with that, now that I'm seeing the episodes on DVD for the first time in years.

The original idea seems to have been that the Fraggles lived in their own little enclosed world and thought themselves the epitome of civilization. They couldn't imagine leaving their home, what was the point when everything they needed was right there? Traveling Matt and his nephew Gobo are unusual because they're unsatisfied, they desire more out of life. And it requires a certain amount of bravery to venture into "outer space." While the others admire Gobo for doing so, they still aren't always ready to imitate him.

Fraggle Rock reminds me a lot of Lord of the Rings. The Hobbits are similar to Fraggles, wanting to say where they're comfortable. Bilbo and his nephew Frodo want to go into the outside world and that makes them different from everyone else.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
This is something I could never quite understand. Okay Gobo was the one who picked up the postcards in outerspace, and Mokey was the one who picked up the Radishes at the Gorg's garden. None of the other Fraggles besides Gobo and Uncle Matt went into outerspace, except in the final episode when they all went in (except Boober)
Didn't Red go into Outer Space in "Red's Blue Dragon"?:confused: :crazy: :confused:

Collgoff

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
This is something I could never quite understand. Okay Gobo was the one who picked up the postcards in outerspace, and Mokey was the one who picked up the Radishes at the Gorg's garden. None of the other Fraggles besides Gobo and Uncle Matt went into outerspace, except in the final episode when they all went in (except Boober)
Didn't Red go into Outer Space in "Red's Blue Dragon"?:confused: :crazy: :confused:
But at the end of Change of address Boober went with the others.