UK Finale

Beauregard

Reaction score
I have a questian...

We've all heard about Doc leaving in the final of the series of the American Fraggle Rock...but what about the UK one? What is the Captain story in the final?

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
I've always wondered this myself because in the UK, Fulton Mackay (The Captain) died before the last season was run. At least this is what I've heard. Not sure if it's true or not. Anybody from the UK want to clear this up?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh! I didn't realise that!

So...they may have been shown in england with the American doc for the last season?

luvtosr

Reaction score
No, John Gordon-Sinclair was given the role of Captain after Fulton Mackay's death, I think, IMDB has him down as 'presenter' but he definitely took over the human role in some form.

anathema

Reaction score
John Gordon-Sinclair played the Captain's nephew, known as 'PK'. He took over as lighthouse keeper after MacKay's death (explained in the show as the Captain having 'returned to his first love, the sea'). PK made his debut on January 10th 1988 in 'Born To Wander', the first show of the fourth UK series.

As far as I've been able to work out, he stayed for two series, and his last appearance was most probably aired on December 11th 1988 (although I can't confirm that yet). From January 1989 the lighthouse was occupied by a new character, 'BJ', played by Simon O'Brien. I don't have any further information on him, although I'm reasonably certain he stayed to the end of the show's run, probably in mid-1990.

So far as I know, MacKay clocked up 48 shows ('Beginnings' - 'The Bells of Fraggle Rock', with the exception of 'Manny's Land Of Carpets'); Gordon-Sinclair did either 23 or 24 ('Red-Handed And Invisible Thief' - Sidebottom Blues' with the possible exception of 'Sprocket's Big Adventure') and O'Brien did the remainder, including 'Manny's Land Of Carpets'.

I do not yet have a full set of broadcast dates, hence the above may not be completely accurate, and it should be noted that the shows did not air in the same order in the UK as they did in the US.

I've also just discovered that the animated series was running concurrently with the live-action series in the UK, possibly starting in January 1990.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Simon O' Brien character's name was "BJ", with that kind of name I presume Brien plays PK's younger brother - I guess :confused:

Here's pic of Simon with Sprocket that I scaned a while back - enjoy

CLICK TO VIEW

hope it helps :smile:

Foodie

Reaction score
Reminds me of " Blue's Clues " for some reason.:smirk:

Nick

Beauregard

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
Simon O' Brien character's name was "BJ", with that kind of name I presume Brien plays PK's younger brother - I guess :confused:

Here's pic of Simon with Sprocket that I scaned a while back - enjoy

CLICK TO VIEW

hope it helps :smile:
Oh how fabulous! I'd love to see some of the later series!