Cookie Monster

BryanS

Reaction score
I have got some really good info from the folks here about a cookie monster type mouth and other stuff. So I thought I would tackle making a cookie monster before I start working on my own puppet with the same type mouth that swallows.

I have since finished making his head, eyes and neck, But I need some Ideas on how to make cookies body...... I have done countless searches here but only a few things come up.... I know several people here have told me that his body is just 2 pieces of material sewn up the sides so I have looked very close at cookie monster pics and observed videos and DVDs frame by frame. I may be totally wrong but from what I keep seeing I believe cookies arms and hands are sewn in separate not made as just 2 pieces front and back sewn up the sides. I did find Kermibaby47 posted a human arm type pattern here ... http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/toughie47/RufusBodyPattern.jpg but its just 2 pieces front and back. Has any one tried modifying this pattern? Or could this pattern be modified so that the arms and hands are sewn in separate and if so How? I know how the hands would be but not the arms. I would love to see pics if anyone here has made a cookie monster of their own.

LOL I may Just be crazy But I figure anything worth doing is worth doing right. All the puppets I have seen here are excellent

Thanks in advance if any one has any ideas. . Or could help

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
BryanS said:
I did find Kermibaby47 posted a human arm type pattern here ... http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/toughie47/RufusBodyPattern.jpg but its just 2 pieces front and back. Has any one tried modifying this pattern? Or could this pattern be modified so that the arms and hands are sewn in separate and if so How?
That pattern looks like it would more or less work for the type of thing you want to do. I made a few live hands puppets like this over the years and they were all done pretty much that way.

My advice? Use the information you've gathered a just go build a puppet. If it works out well, fantastic! If it doesn't, learn from the mistakes and go build another. Alot of people here look for perfect, "magic bullet" solutions when they're starting out, but the best way to learn is just roll up your sleeves and get to work. That's the best way to learn!

BryanS

Reaction score
Thanks buck for the reply I have been doing all trial and error LOL but im running out of scraps big enough to trial with on all the errors. I have been working on this what i thought was a simple project for about a month and a half now. I have done everything i can think of just about so I posted here in hope of some better ideas than mine LOL. the arms sewn seperate from the actual body is what im having so much trouble with at this point. I havent cut my good material yet to make the body so hopefully it will come together pretty soon.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Word to the wise:

When building a live-hands puppet, be sure to make the fingers of the puppet relatively stubby to accomodate for the different sizes of performers' hands (especially if you're a young performer and your hands are still growing). I rarely make the fingers any longer than past my middle knuckle -- it's just enough material to keep the fingers on my hand snugly, but not so much that it cuts off my circulation in my fingers and makes the "gloves" burst at the seams.

Happy building, and post pics

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Doesn't One Way Street or someone in the Christian puppet world sell a live hands pattern? I think OWS sells patterns for making shirts for live hands puppets at least. I don't normally recommend OWS, but maybe that would be one way to solve this so try searching their site.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
My advice? Use the information you've gathered a just go build a puppet. If it works out well, fantastic! If it doesn't, learn from the mistakes and go build another. Alot of people here look for perfect, "magic bullet" solutions when they're starting out, but the best way to learn is just roll up your sleeves and get to work. That's the best way to learn!
Could not have said it better my self, Trail and Error are the only way you are going to learn , and improve yourself, Buck , and my self, along with all the other Pro, and Semi pro ,Puppet designers, have had to learn all these things the hard way as well, you have tons more information at your hands on this site and others like it than we had when we were growing up and learning our craft.

as for running out of scarps of fur fabric, why not by some cheap linen, or muslin and work out your patterns that way?, its cheap material, and is what clothing designers use to drape patterns for shirst and dresses and pants, then when u are happy with your pattern , start with the fur.

BryanS

Reaction score
I was thinking of just That. I think walmart sells some cheap white stuff like that that would work for patterning. I used something similar when patterning his head. I appreciate everyones input. maybe we could get a chance to meet up one of these days. Im sure every one is very busy I know I stay covered up in my work, puppet building is a way to get my mind on something different when I can. Im in Tn.

Hey Ravage I noticed that your 30 Im just one year behind ya. Kinda dreding 30 LOL.
Guess I spent most of my youth chasing Music insted of puppet building. Tho puppets have always been a love of mine. LOL Now sometime I cant get away from it To build a puppet.

Thanks, Hope others like yourselves will post comment or info on the subject of cookie monster.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Try the Consumer Monster website. I forget the URL right now but you'll find it if you google it. When I originally read your post, I thought you meant that the arms were constructed separately and then attached to the body. That's a little trickier. If all you want is a head to go on one arm and a glove for the other, Consumer Monster has a way.

BryanS

Reaction score
SesameKermie said:
When I originally read your post, I thought you meant that the arms were constructed separately and then attached to the body. That's a little trickier.

Kermie That is what I meant From looking closley at Cookie monster videos frame by frame you can see a seam where the arms and hands are sewn in seperate. He is made a little different from the consumer monster I believe.