Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
'Sup Muppet Central. I was just wondering if anyone has gone to see the newest installment of the Harry Potter movies. I saw it on Sunday and I have to say that I was most impressed.

Now I'm an avid Pot-head (har har XP) and I've read and re-read all of the books, but I always try to look at the movies as their own work, otherwise I doubt that I'd be satisfied. A lot of stuff was cut out of this movie (like S.P.E.W and about four chapters) but I still think that the new director, Mike Newell, did a fantastic job! I mean this book was over 600 pages long and crammed into 2 and a half hours and I think he did a really wonderful job of keeping what was most important to the plot in the movie while cutting the rest out.

Though, there were a few things I was a little dissappointed with. There were some changes in the movie that I thought were unnecessary. For one, the scene where Barty Crouch Jnr. is being accused of using the Crucio curse on the Longbottoms... that shouldn't have been Karakoff in the cage. It should've been Bellatrix LeStrange. I understand why they used Karakoff, since Bella wasn't really in the fourth book except for that part, but I still think she should've been put in the scene since she is a fairly major player in the fifth book. It would've been a good segue for the next movie.

I would've liked to have seen more of Viktor Krum and Fleur Delacour. Each of them were given like 2 lines each. Though I wasn't impressed with Fleur, really. I mean, the girl's supposed to be part Veela. I was kinda expecting a Helen of Troy and instead I got a Plain Jane. Ah well.

There wasn't enough of the Quidditch world cup and the dragon scene was far too long. Also, in the book the dragon never actually left the stadium, so I didn't really see the point in that. I understand that people crave action, and this part was pretty action intense and well done, but if they had a cut a little bit of this scene out there could've been more room for the Quidditch world cup. Ah, but you can't win them all, I suppose.

Dumbledore... oh God, don't even get me started on that. (HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VIOLENT! GAH! >_<)

Other than those few little quibbles I felt the movie was very well done. Some of the scenes and settings were just breathtaking (like the Yule Ball) and I really liked the overall feel of it. And Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson's (Harry, Ron and Hermione) acting has improved dramatically. Especially Daniel's, who displayed the emotional range of a rock in Prisoner of Azkaban (which was a GHASTLY movie, but I think I've ranted enough for one day). I have to say that so far this has been my favourite movie of the four. All in all I give it two toes way up!

Labyrinth Fairy

Reaction score
I went to go see it with my boyfriend on I think the first day but it was SLAMMED PACKED. and one thing that is my pet peeve is a slammed packed theater. so me and my boyfriend went to go see saw 2.

Xela

Reaction score
Most people hated S.P.E.W., but I loved that part! And for the most part, I agree with you, Boober_Baby. Especially the Dumbledore part...gah...:mad:

But, I think it was a great movie for a 734 page book.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Eh, I actually wasn't that big of a fan of S.P.E.W, mostly because I can't stand characters like Dobby or Winky. So the fact that that was left out didn't bother me. Plus, considering the length of the book and the fact that it's not really that important to the plot I'm not surprised it was cut out.

Oh man, and Dumbledore... the part that really enraged me was the scene right after Harry's name came out of the goblet of fire and Dumbledore not only grabs him but shakes him violently. Like what the cheese, man!? Dumbledore is a man of calm, cool collectiveness. That was just too far.

But yeah, like I said, I thought it was very well done. Kudos to Mike Newell! Oh, and I loved Rita Skeeter. Man... she just freaking rocks. XD

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Saw the movie a few days ago by myself. Really good movie. it had a more serious tone to it, although there was light hearted/funny moments like the dance towards the end of the movie.

3 out of 4 stars for the new Harry Potter movie.

All the Harry Potter movies have been really good. I'm quite impressed with the franchise so far.

luvtosr

Reaction score
Visually I loved the film but even taking it as a story in it's own right and ignoring the immense amount of stuff that was missed (Fleur being part Veela, all the creatures of the Maze esp. the Sphinx, explaining how Barty Crouch Jr had managed to escape Azkaban and have it gone unnoticed when such a big deal had been made when Sirius escaped) I thought it was a bit choppy.

I don't like the new Dumbledore, he doesn't have the air of intelligence, cunning and wisdom that Richard Harris managed to prtray and I also wasn't too impressed with Voldemort, he seemed like a care in the community case rather than the world's most powerful psycho.

On the way home my friends and I were talking about it and the first things said were "and who's going to foot the bill for the roof?" and "what's the point of wearing glasses if they have no lenses in them?"

But like I said, it was visually brilliant. I especially like the portkey scene, I did wonder how they would pull it off, and, thought I wish it had stuck to being inside the stadium I thought the dragons were very well portrayed.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I went to see 'Goblet of Fire' with my friend Sean a few hours ago.Special effects,notwithstanding,could have been improved slightly.My only complaint on this part,to make the CGI blend in better with the live footage.Too much of the book was left out,leaving way too many holes in the plotline.Mike Newell,the director,should have listened to the studio heads and made the film into two parts.

It's once again great to see the 'kids' are growing up into mature adults.Great casting on the part of 'Mad-eye' Moody.I've pulled out the book from my bookshelf,to fill in the gaps that the movie left out.I'm just curious,if Chris Columbus would have directed this time,would he have made the same decisions as Newell?:smirk:

2 1/2 stars out of 4.

Crazyminnyhaha

Reaction score
I saw it yesterday and it was a great movie. However Ron seems to have an attude problem throu out most of the movie.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I'll hopefully be seeing this movie next week. The reason I say that I hope is because I have a cold right now. If that was not so, I would not be posting on this board right now; I'd be at class.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I saw it today. Good flick. All the kids in the theatre seemed to like it too.