Experimental Puppet Hand

Sidebottom

Reaction score
In the same sort of vein as William Hennes' animatronic alien head (although decidedly lower-tech!), here's a little something I've been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=1Dz3bhDwwKQ

It's some test footage for a new puppet I'm building, a hand-and-rod puppet with a working left hand controlled by strings.

Thought you guys might enjoy it.

-Grant

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
nicely done, reminds me of the typing hands kermit had, or the old skesis fingers that were in the shop, well done, good luck with it

MGov

Reaction score
That is great!

I was just thinking about trying to figure something like that out a few days ago but I'm lefthanded so I tend to need to see and experiment with mechanical things rather than conceptualize and build (a nice way of saying sometimes I'm dumb).

Again, very nice work.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Oooh, nice Grant. People here would probably appreciate it if you posted a tutorial or info on how you built it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I know I'd appreciate a tutorial on such a thing as that.

So, it's just drinking straws, cardboard, thread, and tape so far? That's great. Imagine what a fellow could do with really thin pvc, milk jug plastic, and picture wire down a hollow arm rod!

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
It looks great. Thanks for posting the site because I then checked out the Wizard of Oz auditions and I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks I needed that. The hand seriously looks amazing. I hope it works the way you want it to. :smile:

buckshot

Reaction score
I agree that a tutorial would be sweet. Good job!

Blink

Reaction score
Sidebottom said:
In the same sort of vein as William Hennes' animatronic alien head (although decidedly lower-tech!), here's a little something I've been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=1Dz3bhDwwKQ

It's some test footage for a new puppet I'm building, a hand-and-rod puppet with a working left hand controlled by strings.

Thought you guys might enjoy it.

-Grant
Nice work Grant.

I tried sending you an email a long time ago and I couldn't get through. Any way you could PM me?

spcglider

Reaction score
That IS a great piece of video. It really shows the graceful and complex movements you can acheive with puppet mechanics.

So when you make a version to install in a puppet will you use the same materials? Or will you upgrade to sturdier stuff?

I'm very interested to see it installed in a full puppet and watch it mimick life!

-Gordon

wes

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Oooh, nice Grant. People here would probably appreciate it if you posted a tutorial or info on how you built it.
Yes I would that would be freaking great!!! I second the motion