Hey Customizers

BAZ

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I've started my first custom of Robin. I'm almost done with the sculpting (using Sculpty), but what do I use to paint it?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I've found that acryllic paint works well on Sculpey. I hope you get the figure done soon! I'd love to see it!

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
hey Baz.....have you thought about molding it first? Making a resin, or liquid plastic copy and THEN painting it? I use Sculpey all the time when i do MY customs , and Sculpts.....But I find I DON'T LET anyone handle or tough them for fear of dropping it. Sculpey is brittle when baked. And if a plastic one were to drop chances are you'll just chip the paint insead of shattering it.

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
Have you thought of using the colored chalks or regular make-up before it is baked? I use that on my Polymer pieces and then use the Sculpey glaze over it if you don't want the matte finish.

Just a suggestion.

BAZ

Reaction score
Molding? Whoa, way beyond my expertise.

Since this is a modification of an existing Robin figue, I'm not baking him, but boiling it. Not sure how the make-up or chalk would work with the water.

I'm going to need a combination of matte and shiny surfaces, because I'm making a Steppin out Robin. On the stepping out figures, the suit is flat, but the lapels and vest are shiny

sugarbritchez

Reaction score
well in order for Sculpey to harden you have to bake it somehow.

BAZ

Reaction score
sugarbritchez said:
well in order for Sculpey to harden you have to bake it somehow.
Well I guess boiling is a form of baking. My point was, I wasn't sure how the chalk or makeup would react to being dipped in water.