Performing Two Characters At Once

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been watching TMS Season 1 alot lately, and alot of the Muppet Morsels I've read "This spot allowed Frank Oz to perform both characters", "Dave Goelz didn't like performing two characters, he said it made his nose itch", "The two Whatnot Muppets are performed by one performer", got me to thinking...how many of you have problems performering two characters at once? I do personally for a few reasons...

1. I have sort of a "hand-cuffed" feeling when I don't have a free hand to work the rods.
2. I'm such a righty, whenever I perform a character on my left hand...it's just pityful.
3. If you're trying to make both characters act different whil performing them, occasionally one hand will involuntarily start immitating the other hand.

Just to name a few.

Shaver80

Reaction score
I have found it helpful to get a song that is a duet, listen through and lip sync the song with two puppets. really focus on having them have their own personality. Practice, practice!

try it out!:excited:

Jinx

Reaction score
Usually the only time I perform multiple puppets simultaneously is for background/crowd scenes. Then I don't have to worry about arm rods and the like. Particularly for musical numbers I really try to avoid having the two perform in perfect unison. I usually delay the lip sync of my left hand by about 1/10 second in an effort to give each puppet a bit of individuality, even though they're singing the same thing at the same time. I do the same thing with head turns, although with even more delay.

It does provide some very interesting challenges, but can be fun if you practice it!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been practicing with a puppet on left hand. Man it feels sooo akward! ><

Erine81981

Reaction score
It is kind of hard to have one characters singing and have the other one not to sing with the same lip sync but I haven't had any puppet work were I had to with two puppets. I don't do that much puppetry. I wished I had a show of my own at a church but since most churches don't like using any type of muppet material or any type of fun skits or fun music its all about God and stuff. Not to say that's bad but I would love it if every once a while they would use some muppet stuff. But I've also haven't ever asked about it either. But sorry about getting off subjuct but I've always wanted to do a double puppet song or something.

Phantom

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
It is kind of hard to have one characters singing and have the other one not to sing with the same lip sync but I haven't had any puppet work were I had to with two puppets. I don't do that much puppetry. I wished I had a show of my own at a church but since most churches don't like using any type of muppet material or any type of fun skits or fun music its all about God and stuff. Not to say that's bad but I would love it if every once a while they would use some muppet stuff. But I've also haven't ever asked about it either. But sorry about getting off subjuct but I've always wanted to do a double puppet song or something.
Puppets without fun defeat the purpose. We always do funny stuff with meaning, but there is a fine balance between too much and not enough (trust me, I've done both).

We just performed "I Love Rock and Roll" with Christian lyrics in childrens church on Sunday. One of my puppeteers laid down the guitar part, we edited and burned it to a CD and performed with our voices. It was just close enough to get us sued. I was told the kids were actually singing the song as I wrote it in the restroom after our performance. We don't usually do songs, but it seem to be well recieved and was a hot topic of conversation with the "mommy and daddy" set. (Although, we may never be allowed to perform in Children's church again....:wink: )

You can break the norm and still allow it to be church. Remember: Music is neither Christian or Secular...the lyrics are.

doctort13

Reaction score
So how did Burr Tilstrom operate 2 puppets, and provide their voices?

The man was a genius.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I once did two camel puppets for a Christmas church service. I had the female character on my right hand because she needed over acting (Gosh, she's SUCH a diva!) and I had the male camel on my left hand, and I did the voices, and movements for both of them. I must confess that at one point the two voices half merged for one line, however, the rest was fine. And afterwoods no one would beleive I was doing the two of them!!!

I had a brother as a prop guy to throw chocolate money, and to work the water gun/Camel spit device...

wes

Reaction score
I feel it's a challege, I sometimes try to do song with two Parts and see if i can do both parts, like Bing Crosby's rendistion of Silver Bells with some other Ladie.
The tricky part is that both hands want to do the same thing. I try to make it where it looks like two people are doing it. It's harder but looks better

robinthecrow

Reaction score
Those of you who are familiar with Britain's favourite cheap-puppet-children's show "Rainbow" will remember that Roy Skelton (also well-known as the voice of the Daleks in the original series of "Doctor Who") did the voices for both George and Zippy.

Though, to be honest, I am unaware that he did the puppetry as well - I doubt it.