Ask Ken at Palisades

incredeeble!

Reaction score
I think it would be way too soon to decide if a $60 playset will sell. Hate to make the comparison but look how long the Simpsons Main Street was planned before they realized there was a market for it. I also think that it was a fantastic idea to make it an exclusive to Toys R Us.

I agree with grail that as much as I hate to admit it, I don't think $60 will fly *right now*... If and when the line is still going strong after a couple of years, *then* it might be a good idea to add such an awesome playset.

Either way, I wouldn't mind a smaller stage with some different backdrops. But being the muppet fan that I am, I would love to see the bigger one!

Gonzo

Reaction score
I think the Simpsons line (as much as I love it) is actually a great indication of how NOT to run a line---or how to run a line into the ground. It seems like the last 3 waves or so are still on the shelves just warming pegs, and the characters are ALL so obscure that only the hardest of the hardcore collectors still want to "collect them all." That and the availability of certain characters ONLY in playsets have kept some people (okay, maybe just me) out of the World Of Springfield. Of course, I love the Muppets a jillion times more than the Simpsons, but still....I think there are lessons to be learned.

Quinnnnnnnn

Luke

Reaction score
I was thinking - if you go with the smaller $30'ish playset and make it look grand enough with all the scenery and backdrops, there are always opportunities later on to expand it. You could sell additional 'prop packs' (cameras, microphones, props from specific scenes) and also maybe 'Statler & Waldorfs Box', 'Band Area/Pit' and 'Backstage Area' could be additional add on's (maybe $15'ish mini playsets) released later if they didn't make it into the playset.

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
I agree

The consensus seems to be in favor of a smaller stage, and I agree. The playsets are getting bigger (and better) with each series, and a "frame" stage to fit each one would be too much, cost- and size-wise. Besides, the playsets are in different sizes, so a stage that would just fit the Mayhem bandstand would be too big for Muppet Labs. That would look weird.

I also agree that "what, in its purest form, makes the Muppet stage" is the most important question. Along with Matleo's suggestion of a curtain and balcony-box for Statler and Waldorf, I think stage lights -- in those shell-shaped, brass-like footlight thingies -- would be so cool, it would make everyone forget the size dilemma.

So cool, even the people who didn't buy the other playsets would buy the stage. Quintessential Muppetry, the mother of all playsets. :smile:

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
great!

Originally posted by Luke
I was thinking - if you go with the smaller $30'ish playset and make it look grand enough with all the scenery and backdrops, there are always opportunities later on to expand it. You could sell additional 'prop packs' (cameras, microphones, props from specific scenes) and also maybe 'Statler & Waldorfs Box', 'Band Area/Pit' and 'Backstage Area' could be additional add on's (maybe $15'ish mini playsets) released later if they didn't make it into the playset.
Great idea! Add-ons would be perfect.

incredeeble!

Reaction score
Absolutely. That's why I hated to make that comparison. I think that Palisades is learning from the mistakes that the simpsons made. How can they expect to come out with 6 figures each wave and have enough to be successful for more than 3 series? It had such great potential but has really bellyflopped as of late.

That and the availability of certain characters ONLY in playsets have kept some people (okay, maybe just me) out of the World Of Springfield.
Barring exclusives, isn't that the same for the muppets? I think it's a good idea. If you put a playset out with either no character (heh) or something that was previously available, you wouldn't attract as much sales. Well, unless the toy was a repaint/resculpt of an older character. But still, IMO I think it's the best way to market a playset.

*phew* I haven't typed this much so early since the last time I ever had a book report due the same day!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
A smaller stage playset would work for me. The price would make it more appealing for a lot of people and it would be easier to display.

But I also agree with Increedible-- if the line really starts to catch on and the demand is there, I'd like to see the larger stage idea revisted. Right now, it wouldn't make sense, but if some new Muppet projects come out and are successful (Xmas special, new series) and more people start getting into the figures, well, everything could change....

I don't see a smaller set being able to hold Statler and Waldorf's box. That might have to a separate set (though I don't see that working as a stand alone playset-- not enough play value) or something we only get if the larger stage becomes possible. I think backdrops are essential to any stage. I'd be satisfied with one row of lights. I don't have to have other rigging. People are going to disagree with me on this-- but I don't want the arch background if it isn't real arches the figures (or at least the PVCs) can stand on. Empty arches just don't hold any play value or interest for me. I would like a background of the curtain and TMS logo and I like the idea of some of the other sets-- including some that are playsets (unless having a cardboard backdrop of a set would cut into sales for the playset of the same set).

MM-III

Reaction score
I for one still favor a larger playset. Of course, I don't have access to the sales figures you guys do, but it seems to me that this is the quintessential muppet show playset. It's the one arena that EVERYONE with even a passing knowledge of the show will be aware of. I think if there was any playset that could be pushed into a more expensive price range, it's this one.

Isn't the kitchen a deluxe playset? That could be a good litmus test to see if there's a market for higher end playsets.

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
As for the Muppet Stage, right now we are discussing it at work and are debating whether to make it. At this point we aren't convinced the market can support a 50-60 dollar playset. It would HAVE to cost that much to be able to house other sets. Only other option would be to make it less to scale and not be able to put other playsets in it.

Thoughts? ... I am more curious about your thoughts on a stage as a REGULAR playset...one that cannot house the other playsets but that you could have some smaller "skit" type stuff going on for display.

Lemme hear it...
OK how about this:
If you design the stage as sections that snap together with only bases to support the sides of the stage and a three piece arch for the back wall(sides and top)? That way your materials and packaging cost are greatly reduced by it being a sort of "skeletal" product. You use roughly the same ammount of materials as the standard playsets but it fits together into a larger whole? If that doesn't work than I'll definately cast my vote for a regular size stage. Just as long as I can get Sweetums. You have to make Sweetums!
J~

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I also favor a larger playset. I dunno, I suppose that if you had backdrops for the sketches it'd still work, but then what would be the point of the playsets that led up to it?

I agree with MM-III, why not hold off on the stage playset for now and see if the kitchen sells at $30? That way you can start to gauge how much people will spend.

I would prefer a larger playset but I guess I'd still buy a smaller one.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole