Ask Ken at Palisades

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on the TMS theater stage playset...
First off, it has to come with the figures of Sweetums and Robin the Frog, my personal #2 favorite TMS character!
Secondly, taking into account that I'm blind and really can't appreciate the construct of such a playset unless it's in my hands; here are some ideas.
Stage parts:
a. Stage floor,
b. Red curtains made of the softer textured plastic similar to Bunsen's and Beaker's labcoats,
c. Wooden frame from which the curtain hangs with drawing lever and wingspace for at least one figure to watch from th on the proceedings from the side,
d. Interlocking balcony where to place Statler's and Waldorf's chairs, should those be included as accessories with the individual figures; and interlocking notches for future stageside areas like the orchestra pit or backstage area,
e. Row of ball-like lights around the stage's outermost edge
Playset Size: As long as the stage can be used to display the figures as an entire cast, I'm not really concerned by the size. Maybe you can create a playset whose dimensions range between both a normal and/or deluxe playset's size, as long as the details mentioned above are included.
Generally, I agree that we should wait and see how the Swedish Kitchen does before going ahead with the TMS Stage. However, since practically everyone will take at least one of the kitchen playsets and seeing as how you gotta' keep forging ahead to make sure that all a line's particular products are shipped on a particular date, I guess that it would be prudent to make a smaller-sized stage playset than originally planned.

BTW: Laughs along the way = all the crazyness on this forum since jumping onboard.
Hope I served some helpful purpose to your Muppet-figure plans Ken, though I doubt it.
Halloween, it's the scariest time of the year, the Count.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know this sounds like a stupid idea, but I had to come in to School today to pick up a thing of paints, so I'm kinda spaced out, and everything seems like a good plan. How about a Kitchen Playset contest in which one playset in a certain numer (like 1-100 odds, or something) has a compartment, conatining a certificate valid for two Lobster Banditos or something? Nahh. That's stupid! Forget that!

As for exclusives and large playsets, I actually like the Muppet Theater Idea, but I don't see purchasing it, myself, unless I came across a ton of money! As for the Simpson Line, Yeah, some of the exclusives and mail away offers put me down, too. No way was I going to buy stuff for little UPC symbols to get a Homer with a slightly different Hat, or a really obscure guest star. ( I really wanted the Carney guy and the Play director too! Darn it!!!) I hated that, and confining Kang and Kodos to an impossible to find ultra exclusive expensive Halloween playset just..just... RRRRRRRR!!! Luckily, I got the Burger King Kang figure. If It didn't come with that crown, I'd buy two and say it was Kang AND Kodos!

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Still hearin' ya...gonna wait to see if more people weigh in before I respond to any specific posts...keep it comin'...

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
grail

of course, if you look at the drawing of Sam further down the page his legs ARE kinda short

yeah, but in that drawing the legs are kinda blue too! LOL! i guess we can't go by the drawing because other wise they painted Sam legs the wrong color:big_grin:

ukgonzo

Reaction score
I think that the large delux playset would be the ultimate and i for sure would buy one no matter the cost. However, i have no clue as to what other people would pay.
Would it not be possible to make the large playset, make it a palisade collectors club exclusive, make a limited amount of around 500 and if there is demand for more then reproduce them.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I think smaller would be better if you could have the backgrounds.I would buy it if it were huge to.actually I will buy any version as long as it has a place for stalder and waldorf.I really like the idea of add ons to that away you could buy the basic stage and add ons if you want them.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I don't think the large-stage that other playsets can fit into would work that well, personally...because of the different sizes and whatnot...I'd rather have a smaller one I think. I would buy either/or though, assuming it's available in Canada. What I REALLY think is a good idea is to have the interconnecting "backstage" playset...I'd rather have "backstage" than the actual stage, actually

grail

Reaction score
Re: grail

Originally posted by Zack the Dog
yeah, but in that drawing the legs are kinda blue too! LOL! i guess we can't go by the drawing because other wise they painted Sam legs the wrong color:big_grin:
ouch...yeah, i guess i did kinda leave that point open, didn't i...touche...

Chadj76

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
As for the Muppet Stage, right now we are discussing it at work and are debating whether to make it. At this point we aren't convinced the market can support a 50-60 dollar playset. It would HAVE to cost that much to be able to house other sets. Only other option would be to make it less to scale and not be able to put other playsets in it.

Lemme hear it...
Ken,

I think you have to take a real long, hard look at the Simpsons Main Street. While I know the full production hasn't hit shelves that set is selling GREAT, I mean literally flying off the shelves and it retails for $59.99

So that is at least some proof that yes, the toy collector market will handle that price point. Further more the secondary market, which is EXTREMLY important to a succesful line will hand $80-175 on resale of a $59.99 set.

Now of course, the key would be to produce smaller numbers of the set, and timing is so important. People complained and complained about how long PM took to do Mainstreet, but you MUST have a large number of figures for a large set.

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
I heard above the "skeletal-build-it-yourself" idea, and I immediately thought of Ultarama playsets. They have many levels for display, are customizable, and have the ability to show background placards for scenery.

While I actually would prefer the small $30 ish playset, that idea could be expanded perhaps if it was a customizeable structure like the Ultarama. Then we could display the figs really well and stuff.