Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

Laszlo

Reaction score
cabbageheat said:
well, this movie is starting to add up to "nonsense" to me. It goes against the grain of the original story, treatment and novel. Are they just pulling plot elements out of their (vulgar word insert here). . . .?

It really makes no sense that the skesis/Urur return. They are gone, completely left the world, why would they be stupid enough to come back?
The crystal gets broken again, so the Urskeks devides into Mystic and Skeksis again. It seems they didn't comletely left the world, they're somehow connected to the crystal.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
alright

well, if that is the case, we definately are looking at the same movie again. Jim had talked directly about this very problem, that to do a sequel to this film, would really be just doing the "same thing" over again, and it seems that's exactly what is happening.

but who knows, there just isn't enough information right now, so it is a pre-judgment, definately. but after reading articles, reading the novel, and diving more into the "world" of Thra, the idea of Skesis returning (though hey, it is cool, I love the character design) is really just trying to re-invent the wheel. Dark Crystal is a stand alone product, and was designed that way.

But hopefully over the summer we will get more details on this movie, more screen shots, and more plot details. right now, I'm still on the fence about it. And so was Jim Henson about this very subject, so I'm comfortable where I'm at, at the moment.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Crystal rerun

Sat down the other day, and watched TDC again. I usually find myself watching it once or twice a year. This time, I watched the SuperBit version, on a 119 inch screen.

It was a whole new way of watching it, and I noticed a ton of more details in the film, I hadn't noticed before. Mainly because, well, I've only seen this film once in the theaters (when it first came out) and since then, a little t.v. screen. nevertheless this film was MEANT to be seen this way. it was rich, and engrossing to see it that big again, when a Skesis fills the screen, you can really see the great details and expressions they displayed, and it boggles the mind they were puppets.

anyhoot. it made me realize too, how much the sequel has to live up to. at the same time, it also reinforced, IMO, that there should not be one. yes I will see it. Yes, I am glad they have the original designer/screenwriter/voices back. but as I've already stated, it just makes no sense. it makes me wonder why they said "yes" suddenly to a sequel, when Jim adamently refused to make one, or have one. the film had its own legs to stand on, it was an open/close film, a definitive beginning/middle/end. . nothing more to it.

I'm just trying to figure out how I would feel, if my sons/daughter who are now running my company, decided to remake (ok, continue) a movie, I refused to, and wanted left alone. I don't think its about preserving a great film, but about making a buck. For instance. . .TDC animated? what?? how would you pull that off? TDC video game? how, who, or what could you possibly develop? it just doesn't make any sense, it feels watered down, and milked for all its worth.

ok, im gonna stop again, I'm writing a book here. but this just seems weird to me still. after watching TDC again the other day, it just reinforced what a unique and independent production that simply did not need a follow up of any kind. It is ONE of a kind, and should stay that way.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I have no problems with a sequel. In fact (of what I heard), this one will be quite original and entertaining!
The only problem is, there seems to be some unlogic points, when compared to part one.

The Skeksis/Mystic will appear because the crystal gets broken again. That is logical to me. But strange is: Why only 1 Skeksis/Mystic ?
The first movie had 9 of each (if I remeber right).

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Yep

Yes, there were 9. THe original movie was so rich with meaning, everything was grouped in 3's and 9's. Very similar to the design logic of the pyramid/triangle they chose for the overall look and feel of the film.

It's just another rich layer of detail in the film. And it really doesn't make too much sense that only one skesis returns. well for that matter, any of them to return, but anyhoot. My guess is, Chamberlain was always eager to rule, so my hunch is, he finds this as an opportunity to return to Thra and take control again, without interference.

In the novel, Chamberlain was supposed to be the next Emperor, but the Emperor never solidified this, because of his sudden death, which lead to the "trial by stone" incident. and of course the Garthim Master took the throne instead.

It all still seems strange and a little far fetched. If they come back, then what the heck was the prophesy for? if they came back anyway. . .well, that was all pointless. there are a lot of ridiculous hurdles for this movie to get through, which is why I still think its silly to have a sequel. but. . i digress.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I have one solution for the 1 Urskeks/Skeksis/Mystic problem: Maybe there was only 1 Urskeks on Thra when they broke the Crystal the second time?

Plus it's a lot cheaper for the filmmakers :smile:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
maybe. .

perhaps.

the problem is, the Urskeks entered the crystal to purify themselves, and then they split apart. they obviously learned their lesson, so why would they do it again? they became "whole" again, and are fairly wise, so it wouldnt make much sense.. .

but who knows. i guess we could go around and around on this, but until we get some more details and plot development this summer, its all hearsay and speculation.

I wish they would release some more info on it, I don't tend to hound and obsess over movie details and plots, but for this film, and this film only, have I suddenly been concerned. I think its because the first film was simply awesome, beautiful and well crafted. I feel this next one is just a cheap knock off.

ahhhhh, who knows.

Laszlo

Reaction score
cabbageheat said:
perhaps.

the problem is, the Urskeks entered the crystal to purify themselves, and then they split apart. they obviously learned their lesson, so why would they do it again? they became "whole" again, and are fairly wise, so it wouldnt make much sense.. .
Hhmm... yes. How did they split apart? I think the Urskeks broke the Crystal... but in a small sequence we see a Skeksis brake the Crystal. What does that mean?

Mark Filton

Reaction score
I am glad for you cabbagehat, as I also hate this movie already:big_grin:

Look, this director has zero experience with live action, he has his own CG animation compnay he wants to try out stuff with, and he is too young.

This is crazy. We have been loving this movie for so long, and the Henson kids should treat the project with much seriousness and get a good director. How the blazes they end up with this young guy with no live action experience???

The Henson kids are making a quick buck with a deal with a guy with his own animation/CG effects house, to cash in on the 25 anniversary. The film will be rushed, stupid, and not special.

Give me a good director with experiecne, please!

Man, I hate those Henson kids so much I can taste it :grouchy:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
...and he is too young.
Well when the original Dark Crystal came out, the directors (Frank and Jim) were 38 and 46. Genndy will be 37 when the sequel comes out (sure it is a tad younger than them, but no too young). And if you watch some of Genndy's work, such as Samari Jack or Clone Wars, you'll see he is an extremely talented director with the perfect sensibilities to do this film right. Even way before the announcment from Henson that Genndy would be the director, I personally would have ranked Genndy in my top-10 "dream directors" for the project. I think he'll do great!