Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
<<1. Grover popping Ernie's balloons. And that's one of the rare times those two were together. >>

I want to comment on that one, since we previously had a thread about Grover's first sketch. I honestly thing that one might have been filmed before his "Whistle a Happy Tune" song, considering all though he's blue in that one, his voice and personality are more like that of the original Fuzzyface. Just thought I'd bring that up.

What happens with the ss clips doesn't concern me as much now with the DVD coming out, and hope for more in the future.
True, but it might be a while before DVDs with future seasons come out. Heck, it's taking over a year for The Muppet Show Season Two to come out. So it's nice to see classic clips on You Tube while we're waiting.

qbeam

Reaction score
RE: Free flv player

Convincing John said:
Hi everyone,

Anyone know where I can download a free FLV player? I HAD one on my hard drive, but a stupid virus ate it up! Now I have dozens of old SS clips I can't play! Not even the FLV player's name is left in my archives. It's obliterated.

Can anyone recommend a free FLV player? I think I downloaded one mentioned in this thread, but I don't know for sure. If possible, I'd like to find the same one I had before so I can play the clips. I'd appreciate any help at all.

Thank you,

Convincing John

Yeah, i know where there is one.

Search google for 'wimpy FLV player' and it should turn up. :smile:

You could also use 'You Tube Grabber' to get the files.
Enjoy!!!

UFOfirefly

Reaction score

Phamos818

Reaction score
Does anyone have the clip where Ernie and Bert play the rhyming game? You know, "Hey there lamp, that's a nice shade...You." I'm surprised that one hasn't ended up on YouTube yet, from what I can find.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You do know that all three of those are included as bonus features on the Sesame Street: Old School Vol. 1 DVD, right? You are aware of that release, right?

Anyway, I think we all had a feeling those were from the first season. We already knew about that version of Bein' Green for years, we knew it was from the first season (the Sesame Street Unpaved special listed an airdate for it, stating that it first aired sometime between feburary and may 1970, I can't remmeber which month), and that's been available on the Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration video.

I think many of us had a feeling that ABC-DEF-GHI and I Love Trash were from the first season, though we may not have known for sure. I figured they were from the first season, though recently I started to wonder if they were originally just recorded for the first album and then performed on the show. Either way, we knew that the 1980s/1990s versions were not the originals. Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game had a version that was obviously from the early 1970s (according to Muppet Wiki, that version is from 1971), and there have been a few specials that showed a clip from a very early 1970s version of ABC-DEF-GHI.

UFOfirefly

Reaction score
It was still a surprise

I'm still waiting for my pre ordered copy of the Sesame Street: Old School Vol. 1 DVD. I didn't know those clips were included on it. That's good to know though. I've only had Sesame Street Unpaved for a month, and I haven't had time to read every word of it yet because I'm a full time graduate student right now.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
UFOfirefly said:
I'm still waiting for my pre ordered copy of the Sesame Street: Old School Vol. 1 DVD. I didn't know those clips were included on it. That's good to know though. I've only had Sesame Street Unpaved for a month, and I haven't had time to read every word of it yet because I'm a full time graduate student right now.
Sesame Street Unpaved doesn't really list the years that every sketch debuted in. It lists the copyright years for most songs (it doens't seem to include copyright credits for any animated songs or poems included), but that just lists when certain songs were copyrighted. By now a lot of songs have been remade and performed many times since their original performances. Pictures from the original Bein' Green are included alongside the lyrics, but the song I Love Trash includes pictures from the 1991 version, and the lyrics to ABC-DEF-GHI are absent from this book.

Ziffel

Reaction score
These great classic clips just keep on coming on youtube!

Some of the newest old ones (newest old, heh heh) that I was real happy to see again are:

- - - The S for Superman 1970 animated segment.

- - - The J friends song. J Joe wearin' jeans, got himself a pocket full of jellybeans, J Joe jeans and his jellybeans hey let's sing a song about J! This is yet another of OH SO many vintage SS clips that is SO fun and catchy to listen to!

- - - The Harvey Kneeslapper mirror trick taht backfires. "You wanna see somethin' funny?!" That was great how the blue guy finally gets him back by cracking up at Harvey's face (oh now THAT'S funny!).

- - - The three witches sketch from 1972. Wonderfully funny skit and perfect timing for Halloween season! I always loved most of all that witch with the long hair who had the magic kettle of water and the great laugh, "Woo hoo hoo! ooh ooh ohh ahhh ahhh!"

- - - Cookie Monster's three wishes. Wow this is one I had forgotten all about! Always extra special nostalgia to see a clip that I not only haven't seen in 3 decades but also had completely forgot about all this time! The genie of the toothpaste! "Shish kabob bam shazam!" And love how CM kept going back and forth to storyteller Bob and the genie. A marvelous SS segment!

- - - And another Ernie and Bert at the movies, this one being Ernie making a lot of noise with his snacks. This is one of those I felt real bad for Bert. Poor guy does nothing wrong and yet he's the one who gets ejected. Notice at the end Ernie says to the usher, "Don't take my friend Bert" but then says, "I'll tell you how the movie ends, Bert" and sits back down! Yeah he really felt bad for what he did to Bert! Notice also how they show Ernie just sitting there quietly for several seconds as the clip ends. No more rustling his snacks around and bothering the others. Wonder if this means Ernie did the whole noise thing on purpose just to get Bert upset and then in trouble. (It's an interesting thing I've always wondered; does Ernie irritate Bert on purpose or does he innocently but naively cause Bert all the aggravations? Some skits seem the former and others the latter and others I'm just not sure. So I guess the answer is BOTH! :smile: ).

And I'm still so thrilled that "Ernie counting to ten and starting over" (called "World's greatest counter of numbers") and that "jazzy triangle and square square" animated sketch were uploaded a while ago!

I hope to see the "There once was a hand" (narrated by TEC's Skip Hinnant) some time. I understand that it had appeared on a Noggin episode so I'm sure some people have it on tape.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I had another thought about that "Ernie making noise at the movies" sketch. Could it have been an intention of the makers to teach children that sometimes life can be unfair? Here's Ernie making all the noise and Bert ends up paying the price for it by being ejected. Perhaps would help children with the realization that sometimes unfair things can happen living in a world with imperfect people. Like a teacher blaming you instead of the kid that really did the misbehaving. Or a parent punishing you when your sibling did equal or worse and yet went unpunished. Just a thought. But my guess is that wasn't their idea but that this was just supposed to be a humorous skit along the lines of Laurel and Hardy. I could see this very thing happening there. Laurel makes noise and irritates the moviegoers. Hardy gets increasingly annoyed at Laurel and then blows his cool. The usher then ejects Hardy instead of Laurel.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Phamos818 said:
Does anyone have the clip where Ernie and Bert play the rhyming game? You know, "Hey there lamp, that's a nice shade...You." I'm surprised that one hasn't ended up on YouTube yet, from what I can find.
Hmmm. I hadn't thought about it before but you're right. In fact, I don't think they played that one on the show in recent years either. How could we have overlooked that classic segment? :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

No more rustling his snacks around and bothering the others. Wonder if this means Ernie did the whole noise thing on purpose just to get Bert upset and then in trouble. (It's an interesting thing I've always wondered; does Ernie irritate Bert on purpose or does he innocently but naively cause Bert all the aggravations? Some skits seem the former and others the latter and others I'm just not sure. So I guess the answer is BOTH! ).
That's a good point. I wondered about that too. I mean, I think it's obvious Ernie's not too stupid to realize that if Bert can't sleep with water dripping he sure as heck wouldn't be able to sleep with the vaccuum cleaner running. Also, I read somewhere that Ernie just likes to play tricks on 'old buddy Bert.' I'm assuming it's just Ernie's way of trying to get attention. That's the best explanation I can come up with.