1/2 Dome Eyes suppliers?

Snark Blarmsten

Reaction score
Pat - great link thanks! The ones I ordered do not have backs, so these would be nicer. I hear you all on the weight.

Blink

Reaction score
pjspuppets said:
I get my half-dome eyes here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANIMAL-DOLL-EYE...5660113676QQcategoryZ2415QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The same supplier also has them in different quantities, but all pretty much the same size. Make sure these are the ones that come with the backs that hold them on. Some of theirs have backs, some don't.

Pat
Just be careful with those ones.

I can't tell for sure but those particular eyes seem to have a small "crater" in them. That would seriously limit how you could use them.

These are just my initial thoughts and this is only speculation, but, the picture seems to be of something called craft "frog eyes". They are sometimes useful but definately not fully convexed dome eyes. There is an inner green (soft plastic) dome that can be removed. These eyes my be the same ones, minus the inner green part. If this is true then that inner circle is flat and not convexed like the rest of the eye.

Sorry if that is confusing.

Again, I am not 100% sure, but just something to be aware of.

Phantom

Reaction score
hennesprod said:
Just a side note on vacume formers, you can build your own from using a bread pan and a vacume cleaner to larger scale. I have bult the bread pan size to manufacture my own model parts, works well for small things and one could make eyes using this method.

William
I'll have some pictures on my website in March of some custom work I've been doing. I've found alot of success with vacuum formed eyes. Using .030 and .040 plastics, they are practically weightless. There's lots of tutorials on-line on building vacuum tables. I've plans to make a tutorial showing how it can be done for less than $20 (or at least that's the plan).

Jinx said:
I was at Michael's craft store this weekend and I saw some great clear plastic domes.
I believe this is what Melonpool used on his new Ralph puppet. I looks great.

One last note, I checked in with dpuppets yesterday since he uses the half-domes. To his knowledge, Mercury Plastics is still making and distributing them. Here is a link to The Puppetry Homepage. There's an address and a phone number. If anyone contacts them, let us know about everything.

http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/building/eyes.html

Snark Blarmsten

Reaction score
Looking forward to that Phantom, although for those of us who don't have a whole lot of extra time, just buying them outright is really helpful. Were I doing this professionally, I'd be all for crafting them myself. Maybe if I continue on with this I'll take a look into it.

I have a Michael's right by my house, I don't recall seeing those there but I am going to go back and see. I've already spent $40 on various eyes already with other suggestions, something should work among all these!

Mercury seemingly only deals in large lots, which is kind of a bummer unless you are in the business of making puppets.

Tom

KNOCK A LOT

Reaction score
I dont know what you mean by dome eyes but I use ping pong balls cut in half or if you want them bigger you can get poly foam balls from flower shops and paint them I allso use feathers foe lashers they move great

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
you are using "dome eyes" when u cut that ping pong ball in half, basicly what he's looking for is plastic hemispheres, that can be painted and used for eyes.

thier is link posted above that refers to a site were you can order larger sizes than Ping Pong balls

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
you are using "dome eyes" when u cut that ping pong ball in half, basicly what he's looking for is plastic hemispheres, that can be painted and used for eyes.

thier is link posted above that refers to a site were you can order larger sizes than Ping Pong balls

Snark Blarmsten

Reaction score
Dome Eyes

Well I got both versions finally. The white ones you see are from the lady on ebay. They are nice, they have a post with a nut too which is great. I guess I'll have to paint on the pupil to use them. I got a whole bag of them.

Problem is, they are too small for my puppet LOL. However, I go the clear ones from Plastruct. Those are cool, I can see how painting the inside would make a cool eye. The problem - see the nub on the top? How to get that off without ruining it. I can probably snip/saw and then sand it, but I don't want to scratch the surface much, and it's going to leave a mark where it was.

I suppose if that is where the black of the pupil is, it may not matter much, but I am kinda bummed about that being there. Any suggestions?

here's the pic:

http://www.pixelmech.com/rev/domes.jpg

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
i personally dont use the interior painted method ,

when i use those, i grind done what i can with a dremel tool, then use different sand papers(a medium and a fine), in order to prevent flaking u have to sand it anyway , then spray it with flat white, , puils are up to u , use your imagination,painting them is fine, for quickies i use the small sticky backed felt dots u can by at most hardware stores or at CVs, or walmart, they are for preventing scractches on tables