Is there a vintage Sesame Street site out there with clips?

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
im looking for vintage sesame street skits and have found nothing but transcripts and such. anyone know a site that has old sesame street skits?

sstVideo

Reaction score
There is no vintage site with clips. Clips are the property of Henson and Children's Television Workshop (now Sesame Workshop). The performers and artists would all need to be paid residuals for the use of this material in another medium.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Originally posted by sstVideo
There is no vintage site with clips. Clips are the property of Henson and Children's Television Workshop (now Sesame Workshop). The performers and artists would all need to be paid residuals for the use of this material in another medium.
Oh darn it. But SesameSeventies.com can put up mp3s? Hypocrisy, I tell ya. :rolleyes: lol

sstVideo

Reaction score
not sure I get the gist of your post. It seems you would rather the Workshop stop occasionally looking the other way at web sites that steal music and pursue copyright infringement proceedings on every Sesame music or image used without permission. Taken to its extreme, everyone who has a muppet avatar on this website is in violation of copyright and trademarks which belong either to Henson or Sesame. So be happy with the few crumbs that we have.
Also, it is a sign of disrespect to the talented writers, musicians, mupetters and dedicated crew to ask that people be allowed to distribute their work without compensation. Certainly most of the creative people deserve to be paid a lot more than they do for the quality of their work.

juliette

Reaction score
Thanks, sstvideo. I get complaints emailed to me every week that my Web site doesn't have enough photos or MP3s or video clips, and that all the text is just boring.

However, I feel very strongly about copyright law. I understand that other people disagree, or interpret the laws differently, and what they post to their sites is not my concern.

Personally, I tend to feel more forgiving about reproducing materials that are available for purchase, like on SesameSeventies.com. If there's no way that I can buy a copy of these materials, if the copyright owner refuses to provide a way I can see/hear them, and will not grant permission for re-use ... I think this is not on the same level as making illegal copies of music/video sources that are available for sale.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Firstly, I thought it was only illegal if you were to sell them for profit. But I'm usually wrong about these things.

Secondly, you're site is anything but boring. So what? You're not the fan base with thousands of pictures of Sesame, big deal! You have hard core, thoughtful insight about the show, and (as a certain blue guy with googly eyes says) that's good enough for me!

juliette

Reaction score
Drtooth, you rock. I'm flattered.

If you make an unauthorized copy of something, it's illegal, even if you're not going to make any profit from it. The exception to the copyright law is something called "fair use," a very gray area that allows you to reproduce exceprts of something for the purposes of criticism.

There are a lot of good Web sites out there with helpful explanations of copyright law; if you're ever in doubt, it's worth checking. Some companies spend a lot of time and money preventing unauthorized use, the most well-known perhaps being Fox, which rooted out a lot of X-Files fan sites that contained images from the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That stinks!!!!

But I'm glad you have a site that brings a refreshing view to the last two seasons of the show, at least.

I have got to say, you REAAAAAALYY must hate Alpha-Boy and Monsters Clubhouse.

And I'm glad someone esle out there knows who William Wegman is!

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
geez, Making me guilty about my Avatar lol. If your looking for clips just to to the real Sesame Street site, There's heaps of old clips and stuff.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
If you make an unauthorized copy of something, it's illegal, even if you're not going to make any profit from it.
Technically, it's not, because people have recorded movies off of TV for years and the government didn't come down on us for that. The same rule should apply to the internet, within reason of course.