Best of Ed Sullivan

statler&waldorf

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was flipping through channels and my PBS station was showing the best of Ed Sullivan. It's been coming on for a month or two now, but I never paid much attention to it. But, last night something caught my eye, It was the muppets. Not any of the famous ones but it was great none the less. In the skit, a man (I'm not really sure who it was) and a muppet were talking to each other and the man would rearrange the muppets face and change his eyes, and as he did this, the muppet's character would change. Jim was controling the puppet, and at times did the voices of kermit, rawlf, and scooter. He also played a down on his luck drunk asking for money. Then he played an alien that smelled through his thumbs and could hear through his nose. It was some really funny stuff. After the skit, Jim, Frank Oz, and the other fellow came out and took a bow.
There was also and amazing shadow puppet who did monkeys and elephants and a few of the presdents.
Anyway, they are gonna show the muppets again next week. So, if your PBS has The Best of Ed Sullivan, try your best to check it out.

Peace out,
S&W
In Da House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

Reaction score
Hi S&W!
Yeah, that is a great skit. I love that show. They have currently aired the following bits:
Visual Thinking (Kermit and Whatnot)
I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face (Kermit and Yorick)
Mahna Mahna (Duh!)

Also, in the past, they have aired:
Scrap Flaypp (Precurser to Hugga Wugga, only creepier :wink: )
Father and Son Monster (and Splurge)
Kermit Plays Piano (edited)
Garbage Can Muppet (Where a monster is made)

These are really great bits and should be released. Hey, maybe I'll start a petiton......

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Ryan-

Can you describe some of those latter mentioned sketches, like Father & Son monster and Garbage Can Muppet? Also, how is Sclrapp Flyapp creepier than Hugga Wugga?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

MuppetVison

Reaction score
Hey Gorgon Heap, where did you find your ICON? I'm looking for one for my Live Journal.

I know this has nothing to do with Ed Sulivan sorry. :frown:

Ryan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gorgon Heap
Ryan-

Can you describe some of those latter mentioned sketches, like Father & Son monster and Garbage Can Muppet? Also, how is Sclrapp Flyapp creepier than Hugga Wugga?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
Father and Son Monster: An early Ploobis talks to his son about monster misconceptions. He tells him that people think monsters are scary, which Ploobis fells is a myth. Then, during the end of the sketch, Splurge breaks the wall down, goes over to a scared Ed Sullivan, and walks down the stage.

Garbage Can Muppet: 3 parts of a monster (eyes, hands and stomach) all attached to rods go into garbage cans and create a monster, which kisses a young girl, who then turns into a monster. It's hard to explain, but it's a really imaginative sketch.

Kermit plays piano: In this sketch, Kermit plays music to soothe lagre monsters, which plop up on top of his piano. By the end of the sketch, when Kermit thinks he's alright, of course, the pianoi eats him. This clip is not the one from "Muppets : A Celebration of 30 Years", but it is in color. A picture of Jim and the Kermit is seen in "The Works".

Scrap Flyapp is creepy, basically because of the music, and the weirdness of the sketch. But, overall, it's really great. I love it. Also, I wanted to note that Frank Oz makes the strangest, un-frank voice ever, which would make me want to p*** my pants if I was five. ;0)

Also, in a sketch called "Ugly Amanda", a purple Muppet realizes that she can mold herself into a vision of beauty, but the plan backfires on her.

Also, a few notes on "Visual Thinking". Kermit plays the hip one, while The Wahtnot (voiced by Jerry Juhl, performed by Frank) is the buisnessman type. This puppet can be seen in the Sesame Street pitch tape. He is peach and has eyebrows for eyes. Also, he is seen in "Muppets on Puppets. "
"I remember you as a prince. You look better as a frog fella."
Also, the sketch is somewhat adult oriented. In one part, Kermit envisions a "fine young chick", a lady with "form", while the WN Muppet thinks of a baby chicken. Kermit wears his red sweater, and a yellow and orange tie.

I love these sketches, and really want them released. Sign my petiton, please!! :wink:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Yeah, I really enjoyed seeing Senor Wences again, too! :smile:

- Billy :cool:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Ryan

That Ploobis like Dragon is called Fred.

He got his name from a Sesame Street Skit from the Second Episode.

Kermit tells Grover to get into the Box, So Grover goes beside it, Ontop of it, Under it and then as he goes to get in it the Dragon pops up.

Grover says "Oh, Hi Fred !"

But Ryan, "You got a point there son!"

See ya