Muppets Desktop Contest!

GLUE

Reaction score
The Chestburster Mini Statue has been added to the Alien section and "Year without A Santa Claus" pictures are in the dailybit section. Also if you plan on entering the Muppet desktop contest, the deadline is today at 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Check it out here www.palisadestoys.com

incredeeble!

Reaction score
Really cool daily bit today! It's really neat to see some of the steps in the whole assembly line.

Joe

Reaction score
Darn it! I completly forgot to send in my entry!

Good Luck to those that did!

Luke

Reaction score
I pretty much wimped out when i saw the standard of entries on here - of course if i'd a known all i had to do was draw a fat cat and some microwave popcorn i would have walked away with the swag ! :big_grin:

MM-III

Reaction score
Darn it all... and here I was wasting my time doing desktops that featured the muppets! A great fool am I!

Hey Joe, how's about we see your entry anyway?

Pschtyckque

Reaction score
<sigh> What a horrible time for my home computer to crash. Ah, well.

Joe

Reaction score
Originally posted by MM-III
Hey Joe, how's about we see your entry anyway?
My "I didn't win 'cause I missed the deadline" desktop image

(it's very large :wink: and may take a while to download on a slow modem(much like mine)
(my name isn't on the version that I would have submitted to Palisades had I not forgotten)

The idea behind mine was a pretty good one, but since my artistic skills [don't exist] it didn't come out as good as I'd hoped. :smile:

MM-III

Reaction score
The link didn't work and I think it's because Geocities doesn't let you directly link to images from another site (like a message board) To fix it, create a blank web page and post the image on that... then give us the link to the page instead of the image itself... that should fix it.

EDIT...

Okay I found a way around it... I went to your index page and manually typed in the jpg address... since I was coming from your site, geocities allowed me in to see the image...

If you don't mind, I have a few comments/tips...

First, let me say I liked the idea you were going for. It's definately in line with what Palisades has done in past desktops which is probably the biggest failing in my images... I tend to really distort the pictures to fit the image concept and while it might make a nice image, it's not much of a show off for the product line when it looks that funky...

You can check mine out at:

http://www.geocities.com/montyiv2001/index.html

I welcome any comments or criticism you have on my images as well... But enought about my stuff...

I did notice a few technical things which would have really helped your image pop. The first is the top curtain... it's kinda flat as it is now and you can see at several points, remnants of the white edge from when you cut and pasted it from the original image. A way around that is to increase the tolerance of the magic wand tool... (I'm making a rather large assumption that you used photoshop) The default tolerance of the magic wand is 32... increasing it will make it cut the image where you want it to without leaving those annoying off-color pixels. It takes a bit of trial and error but it's worth it in the end.

Also, the top curtain has no depth in relation to the other curtain. A great way to achieve depth is to add a drop shadow on whatever layer the top curtain is on. This seperates it and makes it look a little more 3-D, like it's casting a shadow on the other curtain.

I did like the cut-out effect with the figures but I wonder if you had anti-alias turned on as each one has a kind of a jagged edge. It's particularly noticeable in Floyd's cut out.

The only other thing I would suggest would have been to cut out the white background on the Jim Henson logo. Since the background is a very vibrant white, it's fairly easy to get rid of it and it allows you to mesh with the background a little more fluidly.

All in all though it's a great concept... Maybe you can revise it if they do another one for Series 3!

BAZ

Reaction score
Enough of this small talk..

When do you announce the winners?

:smile:

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
You'll note that our website says:

Winners will be notified by email no later than September 16, 2002 .

So, it could be a little while before anyone is notified... I don't think so though. I'll let you in on a little secret...

S
C
R
O
L
L

D
O
W
N

I know who the winner is!!
Bwa-ha-ha!!

Judging the competition was HARD!! There were so many good entries. (And I'm not just saying that!!) But I will allow Greg to let you know about the winning entries in his time -- this competition was his baby.

Oh, heck, I can't keep it in any more... The winner is--

HEY LOOK, A DOG WITH A POOFY TAIL!! HA HA HA!!

*runs off after poofy tailed dog*