Your Thoughts: Kevin Clash on Oprah

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
My favorite quote from that segment: (I taped it, lol!) "Miss Oprah, you don't have a black man walking behind you like Elmo does do you?"
I also like "hubba hubba" in regards to Diane Sawyer.

Quick question though: don't full-body muppets like Elmo have extra "skin" below the legs to ensure the muppeteer's arm is hidden?
You mean the puppet's sleeve?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This is the first time Muppeteer Kevin Clash has appeared with Elmo!
They either forgot about MuppetFest or want the rest of us to forget about it.

Kevin says he became the voice of Elmo after another Muppeteer turned down the opportunity. "He didn't like it," Kevin says. "It was too cutesy for him."

If you're surprised by the big guy behind the little voice, you're not alone. "It's wild," Kevin says. "[People] expect me to be a little, short bald-headed guy with glasses."
He just described ME!!

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I thought it was really awsome but way to darn short grrr he deserved allot more time...instead of like her other shows where it just glorifies Oprah some more that really bothers me the one is a multi-millionair and they just keep giving her stuff....*shakes head*
oh well elmo and kevin were great for the short time we got to see them!

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
They either forgot about MuppetFest or want the rest of us to forget about it.
What about the Biography interview he did for the A & E special? I saw Kevin, I saw Elmo... and they were together.

I also agree about the money issue. I don't really care if he's a millionaire or not, can't Oprah think of something more interesting to talk about? Oh wait... money is interesting to her, just look at that multi-million dollar set she so bragged about.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I saw the interview and I thought it went well. The part where Oprah tell Kevin that she saw him at an affair and Elmo being a curious three year jumps up and and ask "affair!" as if to ask what's that was Laugh out loud funny.

My biggest criticism of the interview was the montage of clips they showed during the introduction, because the only showed Elmo in costumes and dancing around, which made him look kind of silly. Showing some of that is Okay because that's part of who Elmo is, but I felt the it failed to display all of the dimensions and personality of the full character that is Elmo, believe in of not.

amiki chan

Reaction score
She kinda ticked me off too. I don't really watch her but when I do it's to see her guests not her. I bit the bullet and wrote to her LOL. Here's what I sent:

I've thought about asking this for some time and I've decided to go ahead with it.
You have very interesting people on your show: doctors and performers and varied other guests. I'm not a frequent watcher but if it's something that sounds informative I'll sit down and watch.
Unfortunately I've noticed that you seem to talk over MANY of your guests. The experts you have on your show should give us information not just you or you wouldn't have them on right?
Would it be possible to let your guests speak more and finish their sentences before you interrupt with your comments and interjections?
Just a thought.
Also on a side note the "interview" you did with Kevin Clash was very poorly done. He wasn't even on for 5 minutes. 3 total. The people you had on the air before him: Barbie, Marc Jacobs and the Jimmie Choo lady were way too long. Even if they are that great most people can't afford their stuff so why should they be on for almost 20 minutes? Please give ALL your guests more air time and speeech time. Your at-home audience would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and have a great day.

Wonder if I'll get a reply:stick_out_tongue:

And yeah she should have said that this is the first time Kevin Clash has been on HER show with Elmo. I think I'll add that too :smile:

rowlf84

Reaction score
Good for you for sending in a letter. Please let us know what kind of response you get.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
While it's true Kevin didn't have any time to really talk, I do believe that as soon as his fame and money were mentioned he should have stated that 'no man is an island', in other words he should have mentioned that there is a great support team behind him at Sesame Street & Henson that have helped him acheive his dream. He didn't acheive that on his own. But again, he really didn't have the time.

I do remember Jim in interviews always saying how important it was to surround yourself with the right people for the job. I like that Jim gave others credit in interviews.

rowlf84

Reaction score
That's true. I'm glad he just played it off with an "I do okay" comment. Not ideal, but like you said, okay for the time he was given.

wes

Reaction score
I should send a link to this thread to the Oprah people and see waht happens!! what do you think?
Show them How Muppet Fans feel!