Politeness and Grammar (Grandma?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi.

Beau here.

I've been around the threads recently and noticed there are lots and lots of posts which and increasingly agrivating due to a misunderstanding or deliberate misuse of grammar. For example, members Use All Capitals On All Their Sentences, or don't use any at all when they should.

Commas and Periods, as well as spelling mistakes, can generally be ignored, but the Use Of Capitals or lack thereof causes a change in the way that you READ THE SENTENCE!

See, I think you thought I was shouting there. :stick_out_tongue:

Therefore, it is impolite to purposefully cause such aggrivation around the forum if it can be avoided.

What do others think?

Bea:zany:{The Grammar Her}regard

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Well...

Personally, what I don't understand is- why capitalize the first letter of each word? I've tried it once or twice, off the forum, and it really slows down my typing to keep hitting that darned "shift" key.

And- Well, maybe it's just my opinion, but- sentences are meant to have a certain flow to them, with accents on certain syllables and emphasis on certain words. And capitalization, whether intended to or not, changes the emphasis. It's the same with bold, italics, or underline. Misuse, therefore, leads to a sentence (or an entire post) that reads poorly.

I don't mind the occasional mistake, of course- we're all human. (At least, last I checked, we are. Is anyone here a sandwich?) But when I see an entire post that's ALL CAPS, or no caps, or The First Letter Of Every Word Capitalized... I honestly tend to just skim it, because it just sounds either really angry or really monotone in my head, and sometimes both.

Now, if someone's computer somehow forces them to capitalize incorrectly- if their shift key is broken, or caps lock is stuck on, or something like that- that's another matter completely. But- and I say this to all members- if something like that should happen, if you could kindly mention that at some point, I for one would appreciate it. Thank you!

And now, for some muffins. <serves muffins>

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Beau is completely correct, it does get tiring seeing endless severe spelling mistakes, caps and poorly constructed posts. Says a lot for our schools, doesn't it folks? It is simply not that hard to put together a well written and mature post that comes across to the reader well. People will take you more seriously if you do.

Katzi428

Reaction score
When people are typing in all capital letters drives me crazy.It's like people are shouting.
Also,when people curse,they mask what they're saying.Yes.we realize you're angry,but there is no reason whatsover to use foul language or masking it like $^#. Know what I mean?
Now,back to your mods on the subject.(or anyone that doesn't want to fight about it.)
Kathy (who normally doesn't get ticked off here,but when I do,watch out!:mad: )

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, yes and no Baba.

There are specific forms of writing, and that's how the english language works, and our minds. For example, I read your posts here in a cool collected way and responded to it in like mannor. If you'd used the All Word Cap thing, I would have seen it and imediatly gotten irrked before even reading! Which is just the way the mind works!

Bea:zany;{D'Snowth, is "hi." adding to this conversation? *confused Kermie face* Hello to you too :stick_out_tongue:}regard

F

furryredmonster

I hate it when people do not capitalize their sentences or uses periods or commas. I try to type like I should unless I am in a real hurry.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah. Me too. Admittedly, when I am in a rush, or when I am being called for dinner for the thirteenth time and am still on MC (Or am awake at half midnight, now...) I do end up smudging the grammar and spellings...there was a period when I always did teh instead of the because my fingers had totally learned it wrong! But to the best of my ability, I try to keep it natural!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
furryredmonster said:
I hate it when people do not capitalize their sentences or uses periods or commas. I try to type like I should unless I am in a real hurry.
or when ppl type n l33t like this. it gets crazy nd i can't stand it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
mayb u shd sit don snot.

Bea:zany:{I'll never get txteze...}regard

Status
Not open for further replies.