What are Muppets?

gemathy

Reaction score
I've just joined. I am in a disagreement with a friend. With the million forums you have here, I didn't know which one to choose.

One person says the word muppets describes only those characters on The Muppet Show...excluding Sesame Street etc.

One person says the word muppets describes all of Henson's creations.

Which person is correct? What is considered a muppet exactly?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
i don't know exactly, people sometimes separate "muppet" characters from "sesame" characters, but i've heard them called sesame street muppets. I think it's an opinion, i don't really know, but in my mind the term "muppet" includes (but is not limited to) the following

A Character from The Muppet Show
A Character from Muppets Tonight
A Character from Sesame Street
A Character from Fraggle Rock
A Character from Sam and Friends
A Character from The Jim Henson Hour
A Character from Muppet Babies
A Character from Any Muppet/Sesame/Fraggle Movie or TV Special
A Character from Bear in the Big Blue House

Again I don't know what the official answer is, that's just my opinion

gemathy

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I'd like to hear some other opinions also.

I need as many responses in my favor as possible.

I think that muppet is an umbrella term for all of henson's creations. The Muppet Show is just a specific show for specific muppets.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
To put it simply Muppet is simply a word invented by Jim Henson to identify any puppet created by his studio. Some think it is a combination of marionette and puppet since strings play a part in operating many muppets even though in essence they are hand puppets. Jim never admitted this was so though only that he liked the name.

It has also been suggested that it's derived from Jim speaking of them as "My puppets"

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
What is a Muppet?

*standing in back of her is every Muppet that ever existed*

To answer your question, gemathy... *points to the Muppets*

Muppets: We are!

-Kim

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
"Well it's not quite a puppet, and it's not quite a mop but man.. heh hehe he... so to answer your question I don't know."

Come on you knew someone was going to say it. :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, it's going to be quite hard to get a decent response anymore.

Jim Henson Company used to own all the characters and anything that was made from antron fleece was called a Muppet, or a Creature if it came from the Creature Shop.

But, with the sales and seperation of the different division it's hard to determine what to call who anymore.

The Walt Disney Company now owns The Muppets including all versions of the shows, from The Muppet Show, Jim Henson Hour, Muppets Tonight, etc. They also now own Bear in the Big Blue House as well.

Children's Television Workshop became Sesame Workshop when they bought the Sesame characters outright.

Now, Jim Henson company owns Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas, Christmas Toy, and Fraggle Rock.

To us old-school fans, all those characters are Muppets. Under the new set-up, the Muppet Show characters are the only Muppets anymore. I'm unsure what SS and JHC call their puppets now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
To put it simply Muppet is simply a word invented by Jim Henson to identify any puppet created by his studio. Some think it is a combination of marionette and puppet since strings play a part in operating many muppets even though in essence they are hand puppets. Jim never admitted this was so though only that he liked the name.

It has also been suggested that it's derived from Jim speaking of them as "My puppets"
I totally agree.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
"Well it's not quite a puppet, and it's not quite a mop but man.. heh hehe he... so to answer your question I don't know."

Come on you knew someone was going to say it. :big_grin:

D'oh you stole my line

well why is that muppet made out of leather