ID This 1960s/1970s Children's Science Show?

splitenz

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me identify a kid's show I remember from when I was little, back in the 1970s or early 1980s. Here is what I remember:

The show was about the human body, I think, and it was hosted by a woman who dressed kind of sensibly and talked to her young audience in a very non-condescending way. The set of the show looked like it might have been a study, and I remember the show opening with her talking, standing by a bookshelf. She would introduce the topic of the day (for example, "your muscles," or "your eye") and she would move to the center of the set/room where she had a worktable. I don't remember there being any other adults on the show, and in my memory she was a sort of scientist/teacher who just did a straightforward presentation of the topic. Based on my age (34) and the style of clothing she wore, I would guess that this show could have been produced anywhere from the late 60s to (more likely) the mid- to late-1970s.

It is possible that this was a short show (like 15 minutes) shown in-between regular shows or as part of something larger, but I just can't be sure. I remember her using models and things to illustrate her topics, but I don't remember if there were any other characters/hosts. I have a vague recollection of a puppet that might have popped up, but I could be getting that from somewhere else (like Romper Room).

I having been torturing myself trying to remember a title, and I keep coming back to something like "Your Body Human" or " The Human Body" or "The Body _____." I know that, when I mentioned this show to my mom years ago, she remembered it and even recalled the name. Of course, she now claims no memory of it.

I have searched the IMDB and the internet for every combination of terms I can think of, but it is as though the show never existed. I refuse to believe that. Two people who are in their mid- to late-30s said that my recollection sounds familiar, so I have to go with that. One guy said he thinks the show was real because he remembers an SNL skit that might have been a parody.

This could have been a local show - I lived in PA, OH, MD, SC and IL during this time period and may have seen it on PBS or a local station.

Back to the host, when I think of her, I remember Mrs. Hathaway from the Beverly HIllbillies, only more feminine. To be honest, I can't get a clear picture of her now, because it may have been closer to 30 years since I saw this show.

I think that she might have signed off with a tagline like "and this is your body _______."

Anyone who can shed any light on this? My search has been long and maddening, and I have never been so stumped. Please help before I go crazy and take my family with me!

kristi at frenzmail dot net

mikebennidict

Reaction score
The show you might be think of what a Canadian show called All About You. Though was seen here in the US on PBS. unlike TEC and Zoom I don't recall seeing this show till the 80s though I think all of them were produced in the 70s. I only remember seeing 2 and one of them said 1974. slso recall this one? http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21252

splitenz

Reaction score
That's It!

My God, you are a genius! At the very least, you have an incredible memory!

For years - literally YEARS I have been trying to remember this show, and as soon as I looked up the title you gave me I found lots of info.

FYI - There is information about this show online at the IMDB
and at another site I can't link to yet becaise I am too new to the forum. Howver, if you page down to the discussion thread at the bottom of the IMDB page, the links are posted there.

Thank you!

As for the show thread you link to, it sounds familiar but I will have to think on that for a bit.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
This might be offtopic, but it is somewhat close to this though:

It was a show shown on PBS during the mid 80's up to the early 90's. It featured a man, wearing what looked like a skintight body suit, similar to a wetsuit, and on it, printed it seemed, was most times, his digestive system. Sometimes it showed his muscular system, or his bones, it changed to what was needed. It was a weird little 30 minute program, and it's been bugging me for a long time now!!

It might have been made just for elementary school children though, but I know it was produced by PBS. Can you guys help me with it?

In my foggy memory the guy reminds me of Richard Simmons sometimes.

splitenz

Reaction score
Slim Goodbody?

Could this have been Slim Goodbody? He always reminded me of Richard Simmons. If you do a search online, you will find that he still tours and has an official website as well as lots of fan sites.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you!! I recoginze the name immediately!! Thanks so much, for the past...year or two, it's been bugging me so much!!!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I love that show, They recently did a parody recently on Wonder Showzen, that really surprised me.

Reaction score
Could this have been Slim Goodbody? He always reminded me of Richard Simmons. If you do a search online, you will find that he still tours and has an official website as well as lots of fan sites.
You are correct about Slim Goodbody. He was not played by Richard Simmons, but John Burstein. He performed at my school in the San Francisco area, just after he started appearing on Captain Kangaroo through the sketch, "The Adventures of Slim Goodbody in Nutri City".