Ask questions to Chris Cerf; interview in preperation

zanimum

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki (muppet.wikicities.com) and Wikinews (en.wikinews.org) have organized an interview with Christopher Cerf.

Send questions for Chris to answer to nicholasmoreau@gmail.com, or edit this page... http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews_talk:Story_preparation/Wikinews_interview_with_Christopher_Cerf

ABOUT CHRIS
Christopher Cerf is an author, composer-lyricist, and record and television producer. He is perhaps best known for his musical contributions to Sesame Street, for co-creating and co-producing the award-winning PBS literacy education television program Between the Lions, and for his humorous articles and books.

Since writing and performing his first song for Sesame Street, "Count It Higher" (1972), Cerf has written or co-written over 200 songs featured on the program, including "Put Down the Duckie," "The Word Is No," "Dance Myself to Sleep," "Monster in the Mirror," and such notable parody songs as "Born To Add," "Letter B," and "Furry Happy Monsters." Cerf also played a pivotal role in the ongoing funding of Sesame Street, founding and serving as the original editor-in-chief of Sesame Workshop's books, records, and toys division.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Cerf back in January 2004, when he and two of the puppeteers from Between the Lions (Pam Arciero was one of them) held a workshop at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York City.

The occassion was the announcement of producing a new season of Lions, and they would also be dubbed in Spanish.

Chris was very gracious in sharing some of his memories of Jim, how he enjoyed joking with him between skits, and he just fed off the energy the Muppeteers created. All these talented people working together to create something unique. Chris seems so happy to be associated with this merry bunch.:smile:

Cookie fan

Reaction score
It'll be really cool if....

It will be really cool if there is a release of a CD of Chris Cerf's Sesame Street songs, the man is a legend in my book. He has that unique voice that made those songs stand out. If it were up to me the CD will have songs like:

One Way
Couldn't get no cooperation
Rebel L
Rock and Roll Readers
We're Alive
Count it Higher
Opposite of what I do

So many other great songs I can't think of right now!

JLG

Reaction score
I don't remember where I read it (this forum maybe?) that Cerf is rather bitter about the direction Sesame Street has taken in the last several years. I can see why---his brand of humor doesn't really have a place in it, now. That the reason he left the Muppets?...

I don't like Between the Lions very much, but it's clearly an attempt to revive the atmosphere of the older Sesame.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
JLG said:
I don't remember where I read it (this forum maybe?) that Cerf is rather bitter about the direction Sesame Street has taken in the last several years. I can see why---his brand of humor doesn't really have a place in it, now. That the reason he left the Muppets?...
I read that Sesame Street got a new producer in 1993 who didn't like rock and roll, so because of this Christopher Cerf either got fired or quit. I'm not too clear on this, but Cerf did stop working on thew show at this time.

zhelder

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I read that Sesame Street got a new producer in 1993 who didn't like rock and roll, so because of this Christopher Cerf either got fired or quit. I'm not too clear on this, but Cerf did stop working on thew show at this time.

Wow, I never hear that, but it makes sense. That's right when Sesame Street jumped the shark and changed from a hip, realistic, exciting show with incredible music to a bland, generic, artificial show with cheesy music. Too bad. The show has never recovered.

zhelder

Reaction score
JLG said:

I don't like Between the Lions very much, but it's clearly an attempt to revive the atmosphere of the older Sesame.

Between the Lions was much better the first time it aired... when it was called The Electric Company.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
What do you mean when it was called TEC? Those are 2 different shows and BTL is produced by some other production company even though they are reading shows.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Between the Lions has a number of very talented people involved who were active in both Sesame Street and The Electric Company. Several Muppeteers came from Sesame Street, most notably Peter Linz and Pam Arciero. Norman Stiles, who wrote for Sesame and TEC, was one of the head writers for BTL.

I think the show is very good. It can't be exactly the same as TEC was, but where else can you find good puppet characters, interesting storylines, excellent writing, high production quality, all wrapped up in a show that won't insult your intelligence?

At its best, Sesame Street never talked down to its audience, or tried to dumb down the material. I believe Between the Lions did an admirable job of keeping that high standard going. At the end of every episode, there is a dedication to Jim (Henson), Joe (Raposo), Jon(Stone), and Jeff(Moss), all of whom Chris Cerf got to work very close with. I bet they're all smiling down from Heaven, and would give BTL the thumbs-up.