My trip to Fraggle Rock

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As I mentioned earlier this week on another thread when I met Fozzie Bear.....

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=25661

I would be venturing to the lighthouse location used in the UK opening of Fraggle Rock.

People may or may not be aware that the UK version of Fraggle Rock was set in a lighthouse, with a lighthouse keeper and his dog, (Sprocket).
Here is a long shot from the UK opening as the camera glides around the lighthouse into a small skylight in the roof, much like the camera goes into the window of Docs workshop in the USA version.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/KERMIE1/Lighthouse1.jpg

I recently discovered that the lighthouse is St Anthony's at Falmouth in Cornwall. So I decided to visit.
On arriving at Falmouth it became apparant that the lighthouse was actually across the mouth of the river at a small point, St Mawes. I Finally made it to the point which is a National Trust area. It is very deserted, in the middle of no where and cars are only aloud so far then you have to park up and walk. A steep path heads down towards the coast, about half way you start to see the top of the lighthouse emerging. Finally getting to the bottom of the path I was met by a tall white fence with a sign saying Private Property. Very disapointing. I took a few pics from the fence!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/KERMIE1/fozziepuppet031.jpg

On my way back up the path I met a young lady loaded with shopping bags who said Hi. I got chatting and she was on her way to the Lighthouse, I explained that I was a Fraggle Fan and she laughed and said that they get a lot of visitors who are Fraggle fans who want to see the lighthouse. She said I could go in and take some pics.

The first thing I noticed is that where the skylight window used to be, has now been extended, and the skylight is no longer there. The skylight is/was in the Lighthouse Keepers Cottage, which is actually not connected to the lighthouse at all, although this isnt apparent in the opening shots. It did however used to be conected by a small corridor, this has now been changed to a seperate entrance to the lighthouse and a cupboard on the cottage.

You can see where the corridor was in this pic.....

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/KERMIE1/fozziepuppet029.jpg

The impression from watching Fraggle Rock is that it is set in the base of the lighthouse, not the cottage, also the size of the 'set' is probably 6 times bigger than the whole area the lighthouse is actually situated on!! The cottage itself is actually available to rent for breaks, at approx £1500 per week it is not cheap though, It sleeps 4 people. You can view the details here

www.ruralretreats.co.uk Click on LIGHTHOUSES on the right and it is listed as SALLY PORT, as that is the name of the Cottage, It does mention Fraggle Rock in the details.

It was a great experience to finally go to ''Fraggle Rock'' and it was strange watching it when I got home and thinking I was stood there earlier that day, not much as reminder that it was home to Fraggle Rockis apparent, but nice to see it. Many Thanks to the very kind lady who showed me around, I wont name her!!

Cheers Guys,

Chris

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Dude, that is so cool!!!

Here in the States, I'm pretty sure we never saw a shot of a real workshop. We just saw the facade set they used for the show, so it's all the more cool that you guys have an actual location!

Awesome that you got to look around inside! How nice of that lady, people are still nice? LOL

nickmetroid

Reaction score
If only you could've found that magic hole lol. I thought the lighthouse was in Scotland (seeming as Fulton MaKay did FRUK). But I bet you had a sugar rush when the woman invited you in, I think she's hiding something myself. I think there really are Fraggles in that lighthouse (gets dragged away) IT'S TRRUUUUEEEEEEE!!

Minstrel Murray

Reaction score
Kermieuk said:
Hi Guys,

As I mentioned earlier this week on another thread when I met Fozzie Bear.....

I would be venturing to the lighthouse location used in the UK opening of Fraggle Rock.

Chris
Chris, I will be travelling to London this summer and am hoping to visit a lot of Henson-related locations. Although the Fraggle Rock lighthouse doesn't interest me much, as it wouldn't be familiar to an American viewer, I'm glad I saw your post about meeting Fozzie and will try to see him myself.

Are there any other not-so-well-known places like these that you know about?

Thanks,
Murray