A Muppet nativity scene

JayDeeMac

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Before I start pleading for the help of the board a bit of back-story. I am a fan of the Muppets but it was mainly from the movies, I'm a bit too young to remember the Muppet Show, my mum however was a huge fan. Anyway I recently bought the first season on DVD and we have been enjoying watching the show together.

Pretty much everytime we watch an episode she talks about a nativity scene she remembers from years ago which she thinks was part of a special. I've looked on imdb and see that there were a couple of Christmas specials with the Muppets, does anyone have any idea what show it might be on exactly and is it possible to find it anywhere? Not really got any more information except that it's a nativity scene

Oh and I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where it should go

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
There was a Christmas special called "John Denver and The Muppets - A Christmas Together" There was a scene, played out during the song "A Baby Like You" I believe, and it included accurate muppetized versions of Mary, John, and Baby Jesus.

Daylight

Reaction score
I like the fact the Muppets usually stayed away from religious topics.

Davina

Reaction score
hrm... ya know.. we've been contemplating modding/costuming some of our muppet figures into a Nativity scene......
biggest problem is that we can't decide whom should be whom....

JayDeeMac

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to get "John Denver and The Muppets - A Christmas Together" on DVD or video, is it possible to get it anywhere or are there any plans for it to be released?

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
I have a copy I'm not sure where it is though. Kermiclown has a copy that is up for trade.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yes- a Nativity scene was included in the great 1979 Muppet Special- "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together"
In fact, John Denver reads from Luke 2 to tell us the events of the first Christmas! And there was a Muppet version of Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus! (And some animals like donkeys, cows and sheep) I'm thinking there were Muppets for the shepherds and Wise Men as well- it's been a little while since I've seen it though. And this is one of my favorite Muppet Christmas specials, so it would be great to see it released on DVD. It's very cool seeing Muppet versions of Mary, Joseph and Jesus Christ- because you really can't have a real Christmas special without the reason for Christmas- the birth of God's Son- Jesus Christ!:smile:
(And it's especially cool to think about Christmas now as we just celebrated the penultimate of Christ's purpose for being on Earth yesterday- which is of course, Easter- the celebration of Jesus' death, burial and Resurrection!:smile: )

Well- the 1983 John Denver and the Muppets: A Rocky Holiday got released on VHS and DVD- maybe this special will too eventually!

Tim

Reaction score
The segment was actually from a Christian Special (I want to say Pat Robertson, but I'm not sure.), since it was a strait dramatic telling the story for children. You could see a couple of the parts from human figures in the original "dementional wall" from the first touring Muppet exhibit (Photo of which is in the "Art Of The Muppets" book.) which was earlier than the John Denver Special. (BTW I am selling an original vinyl album version of the soundtrack this week on eBay, and reviewing the track list-no sign of anything relating to the Bible story. Sorry for the plug!)

balana

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
"Silent Night" is on the album, isn't it?:wink:
Sure is. There's also a bit of a mention in 'A Baby Just Like You':

"A Savior King was born that day,
A baby just like you,
And as the Magi came with gifts,
I come with my gift too"

And I'm reminded I have a video file of the special. Aside from Mary/Joseph/Jesus, there's also the 3 wise men, an angel, some sheep, camels, a donkey, and a cow as far as I can tell.