FanFic: The First Time it Happens...

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I love this story so far! I love reading descriptions of all the zaneyness that goes on at the MBH, and seeing someone from the outside trying to acclimate themselves to it is allways good for a laugh... or 50! Only one thing though. Denise does seem to have a bit of an attitude, doesn't she? I mean I know having part of your breakfast walk away, and part of it explode isn't really fun, but still...
Oh, and Leyla? Regardless of what you may think, there is no escape! You will be baking muffins, and shooting penguins out of cannons before you know it, LOL!

Leyla

Reaction score
It's like being sealed into those invisible mime boxes, isn't it? Oddly enough, I understand penguins being shot out of cannons, but I have no idea about muffins... or ziffling, although I'm apparently good at it. You guys are great though.

*taps invisible glass* Yep, I think I'm gonna like it in this box.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Smiles--I also meant to say earlier that I like to see that Piggy didn't dump all of her "I knew you when" friends. As one of the more, um, aged people on this forum (I am old enough to be the chaparone, but not mature enough!), I can attest to the power of friendships formed when you were young and idealistic. Nice to see Piggy has some of those down-home values. Keep going, honey--keep it coming!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I hear questions about Ziffels and Muffins? Allow me to explain. A "ziffel" is named for the member Ziffel, who did/does it a lot, and I think the term was first used by D'Snowth, but don't quote me on that. It's when two people submit a post at almost exactly the same time, neither of them having any idea that the other is posting. I'll use an example that Ziffel himself has used- Let's say that Member A posts and 12:44, "My favorite food is hotdogs. They're delicious, I love them!" Members B and C read A's post at about the same time, and reply at the same time. Member B's post comes in first, at 12:46: "Does anyone know what Jim Henson's favorite food was?" Then comes Member C's post, also at 12:46: "I love them too!" Member B has just pulled the purest form of a ziffel, in which the flow of the conversation was interrupted. But it would have also been a ziffel if Member B had posted, "Yeah, hotdogs are great," because Member C wouldn't have known that Member B had posted.

Muffins... Well, I don't think anyone is really sure how that started. Usually, "muffining" is when a thread is taken off of its original topic. My first exposure to muffining was when a thread asking where the real Muppet puppets are kept evolved into hijacking the Electric Mayhem bus, breaking into where ever the Muppets are kept, stealing all of them, kidnapping the Muppeteers... Come to think of it, I don't think we ever returned those Muppets... A more recent example of muffining happened in my Flippersteps thread. After my heartwrenching car accident chapter, you may recall, there was over a page of posts in which we drank hot chocolate, cuddled with various stuffed animals, and yelled at me for being so heartwrenching. (Sorry, I can't help it.) Or, an even better example- by defining ziffeling and muffining, I am currently muffining this thread. So, to un-muffin... sort of...

I seem to have neglected to reply to this chapter. Shame on me! I love it! And I agree with everything that everyone else has already said. So please, pretty please, MORE PLEASE!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
How funny--I muffin all the time and never even knew it! BTW, TogetherAgain, you are always very nice to include us newbies and sortof newbies in the loop.

imwhoim

Reaction score
Vigor....more vigor. Original MS Vigor is very interesting. Are there any clips from the Henson archives. Your fiction could one day be gold, just take something as simple as a paper clip and look what Microsoft did.

imwhoim

Reaction score
Vigor is that pesty little paper clip Microsoft included as an assistant with its Office programs. Could it be customized into a muppet? Wouldn't it be great if you click on help and Fozzy Bear pops up?

Smiles

Reaction score
Thanks again for the lovely comments!

Yeah Denise does have a bit of an attitude...but she is Piggy's friend, after all.

Imwhoim, im not really sure what the the MS paperclip has to do with anything, but a muppet one would be cool

Don't worry Leyla, I am also a confused newb, I had absolutely no idea what a ziffel was, though I did know of the member. So thanks for explaining Lisa1 (though you do need to work on you unmuffining skills... :stick_out_tongue:... And on with the story!!!!!!!!

~*~CHAPTER 4~*~
Denise sat around in her room leafing through a magazine Piggy had lent her, years ago. She was so bored her brain was throbbing. All she needed to do to end her boredom was walk out that door into the craziness that engulfed this place.

But… she didn’t know any of them. How could Piggy have left her? Well she did invite her but still… and all of the folks around here were so strange. Yet,… they were exciting, interesting, different. Still….

She snapped her self out of her thoughts and back into reality. Why was she being so indecisive? She could hold her own with these people. She held her head up high and began to start a self-guided tour of the boarding house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Stepping out into the hallway was like stepping into a carnival. It was swamped with people, from a man throwing fish, to Rowlf reading the newspaper, to a guy with bubbles coming out of his head.

She sighed and headed down the stairs to take a look at the kitchen when it wasn’t at its rush hour. The kitchen was much less chaotic than it had been earlier that morning. Though, while looking at the scene in front of her she could hardly believe that it could be considered less chaotic than anything.

The crowd was gone, but penguins remained, still flying through the air, some with cue cards. Skillfully dodging them, the Chef chatted with Rowlf and Rizzo carried piles of food out of the fridge. She watched the penguin aerobatics and shook her head.

Sam the Eagle who had briefly introduced himself the other day stepped into the room and looked over the place. Upon the sight he made a dignified huff and began walking in circles around the kitchen muttering, "Weird, unamerican," and such.

Denise watched him make several laps and the decided to start up some casual chitchat. "Those penguins are awful strange aren’t they," she said to him.

Sam looked at her, flustered. His eyebrows raised, his eyes bulged, his beak clamped shut and he quickly walked off in the opposite direction. "Unnatural, just unnatural," he muttered.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Denise sat down in living room and flipped the channel to some talk show.
Rowlf sat down next to her. She was shocked that with all the people around no one had already snagged the television. She looked at the insanity around her, on second thought, perhaps these folks didn’t need TV.

Wait a minute, she thought looking at Rowlf. Rowlf was in the hallway, he was in kitchen, he was sitting next to her now…

"Rowlf are you following me?" she turned and asked him.

"Wouldn’t think of it," Rowlf calmly told her and turned back to the talk show.

Denise shrugged, coincidence. But as she continued her self-guided tour, she noticed that every where she went, there he was.

When she went back to her room and he was there it was the final straw.

"Rowlf you are stalking me!" she incriminated him, pointing her finger menacingly, "I know what it looks like!"

"Happens a lot, huh?" Rowlf asked.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Haha! "Happens a lot, huh?" Oh my gosh, I just love Rowlf... And oh poor Denise! In a house with a bunch of weirdos, and no idea what to do! Even Sam was no help, and he thinks they're weirdos, too! Oh my gosh, this is hysterical. Oh, please tell me what happens next, please oh pretty please! MORE PLEASE!