Inner Lining or No Inner Lining

BuckyBits

Reaction score
So I'm finally making puppets, and I'm wondering do any of you add an inner lining?

The mass produced puppets I have purchased (many moons ago), all have an inner lining. Its like a nylon sock. If you were to pull it out it would be like a single leg, with a wierd foot.

I've seen some other postings on keeping your puppet clean. Wearing gloves, etc. But as a finishing touch do you add a lining? Or is that only something the mass produced puppets have.

What do you use?

rtgentry

Reaction score
I know that I really like to have the nylon liner. It helps keep your puppet from getting stinky and destory your puppet.

SJohnson

Reaction score
Yes, you should build a liner into your puppet. It will help it last longer and it will be more comfortable to perform. I used to make liners out of cotton material, now I use spandex. Spandex is great because it's strong, slick and stretchy.

Good luck.:big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer using non-stretch materials because I find that the puppet's neck will often stretch over time if you use spandex (although this is really only an issue if the neck is independent of the body). Also, I like breathable materials like polyester jackuard mesh (it's often used to make soccer and football shirts) because they are designed to absorb as little sweat as possible.

Whatever you decide to use for a lining, try to make sure it's not a natural fibre material like cotton. Polyester is best I think.

wes

Reaction score
I know I'm Going against the grain but I don't like the liner, It seems to make my hand sweat more, so when building puppets I don't build a liner, its just something else i have to stich, in the puppets i have bought from other Puppets Company that mas Produce them (Before I knew how to build) the liners would tear, It would wad up and i would have to untangle them before i used the puppet and I would wind up taking the liner out. But to each his own!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm doing linings now, but I'm also likely to start putting on a long sock over my arm so something catches the sweat instead of the puppet structure.

whatadoddle

Reaction score
What a sweaty lot! I usually get caught up in liners too, so any advice to keep them untangled when using and changing puppets rapidly during a show much appreciated!

MGov

Reaction score
Years ago I picked up a bunch of stump covers from American Science and Surplus in Chicago (yes, arm or leg stumps, not tree stumps). They have worked great as liners and I still have one left.

intozlight

Reaction score
An FYI -

If you spray your hand/arm with a non-staining, non-powder anti-perspirant before a performance, It cuts WAY down on the sweating.

:smile:

Director Davies
ripplesministry.org