How to price your puppets

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
i finally got a chance to check this out... this is awesome...
Thanks Buck

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Curious?

gfarkwort said:
There's not enough money in ebay....plus it isn't really a place for an artist to sell several pieces of custom art.......at least I don't think so.....
Where would you say the best place is to sell custom made puppets? :smile:

gfarkwort

Reaction score
dkmontgomery said:
Where would you say the best place is to sell custom made puppets? :smile:

I'm just saying that if you want to make money building custom puppets and you rely on ebay....it isn't the best choice.

However, I do think it is a good place to build a reputation as a quality builder to a larger community an example being Jarrod Butcher.

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
gfarkwort said:
I'm just saying that if you want to make money building custum puppets and you rely on ebay....it isn't the best choice.

However, I do think it is a good place to build a reputation as a quality builder to a larger community an example being Jarrod Butcher.
Totally understand. I was just curious about other avenues for selling puppets. Thanks!:big_grin:

kafkathedog

Reaction score
Great post Buck - caught it on puppetvision blog.

How about a pricing guide for puppeteering, how much do people charge? who are members of equity? should rates be variable depending on whether performance is being recorded?

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
Thanks! I am planning to sell some puppets soon. I will post some pictures soon.

TravelTravel

Reaction score
Last year I got into a bidding war on ebay for a character that looked great and was unique. The seller was happy and surprised to see his puppet sell for a good price. Several things worked in his favor: he avoided flooding the market (only listed one puppet at a time), he used multiple photos to show how expressive the puppet can be, and he simply built a good looking puppet.

So ... while it's true that ebay is often the hunting ground of people looking for bargains, I have been willing to spend above average dollars for a good item.

Nick

Reaction score
i do think eBay is a good place to start... and it surely makes the cookie cutter puppets look like garbage. Especially if you have the skills. Take several recent auctions that have just ended... They went for some big bucks. I do warn you, bid on a puppet that is actually completed... There is a person on eBay who continually lists puppets in the $300 to $1000 range and says will be built in the next 3-4 months. (If you are on this forum, then I apologize to you in advance... I see people knock out pro style puppets in a weekend, so 3-4 months is a bit ridiculous!)

I know that this is not the thread for this, but I was responding to the post above. (by gfartwort) If i had tons of money and skill... I would certainly use eBay as a way to sell my puppets and get my name out there... the only problem I have, is that once I complete one... it would be like selling a child! :smile: